LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have this week bought a Battery Master from VanBitz and taken advantage of their Funster 15% discount:thumb: I must say that the advice given over the phone was very helpful and item was dispatched the same day....excellent service.

All I have to do now is find my split charge relay on the van and fit the BM......sounds very simple and I'm sure it will be (fingers crossed)

I would though be grateful for any advice before I start work from any other Funsters..........I did see the post yesterday where the guy managed to completely destroy his van by fire while working on his electrics.:Eeek:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You are right to be wary of the electric, especially if like me you understand nothing about it. :Blush: I have had a couple of Battery Master's off of Vanbitz and they work a treat. If you have a solar panel or leave the van on hook up at home, you are guaranteed not to get a flat engine battery.:thumb:

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You are right to be wary of the electric, especially if like me you understand nothing about it. :Blush: I have had a couple of Battery Master's off of Vanbitz and they work a treat. [HI]If you have a solar panel or leave the van on hook up at home, you are guaranteed not to get a flat engine battery[/HI].:thumb:

Exactly what I am looking for Jim :thumb:......it should save having to switch the charger between batteries and make use of the excess leccy produced by the solar panel when the leisure batts are fully charged which is currently wasted.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We had our battery master fitted by VanBiz

Yes it works well. had an issue when first fitted as a fuse blew.. but Vanbitz as usual took care of that (no charge) ... we have had Eddie fit all the major electrical items.. battery master, Sterling Invertor (pure sinwave), saterlite TV system, back up camera and satnav (pioneer - do not get on with it and also have a Snooper 7000 - much better I find, but we do use the pioneer as a back up camera and entertainment centre).. we also had a reverse polarity unit fitted by them.

We also had the strike back alarm fitted by Eddie as well.

First class workmanship

Bob

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Brian, you are only up the road from me.. You are most welcome to wander over and I will assist ?

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Yes it works well. had an issue when first fitted as a fuse blew.. but Vanbitz as usual took care of that (no charge) ... we have had Eddie fit all the major electrical items.. battery master, Sterling Invertor (pure sinwave), saterlite TV system, back up camera and satnav (pioneer - do not get on with it and also have a Snooper 7000 - much better I find, but we do use the pioneer as a back up camera and entertainment centre).. we also had a reverse polarity unit fitted by them.

We also had the strike back alarm fitted by Eddie as well.

First class workmanship

Bob

Sounds like you should have shares in VanBitz Bob .........nice to hear of good service when it's received....people are usually quick to shout when the get poor service

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Sounds like you should have shares in VanBitz Bob .........nice to hear of good service when it's received....people are usually quick to shout when the get poor service

Ford Service survey. Dissatisfied customers tell on average 17 other people.

Satisfied customers on average tell 3 other people.

The difference is the total service concept. People who are very satisfied with their service expected to be, so their expectation has been achieved not exceeded.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I fitted my own, as the hab battery and vehicle battery are so close to one and other I sited the BM next to the hab battery, directly wired it and then onto the vehicle battery. Works a treat:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I always give credit when due and say when service is poor

I always give credit when due and will also say when it is poor.

I went to Eddie and he is a long way from us (we are in Tunbridge Wells - Kent) and as most know VanBitz is in Taunton Somerset... We came across people there from Northern Ireland and from many parts of the UK. Many like us have been back time after time for bits to be added to our motorhomes or RV's...

I like eddie's business ethos... we were there for the reverse polarity box to be fitted (back corner of the RV).. saw one of his staff on the roof and asked why.. doing some bolts on the Sat TV.. an issue came to light and he did the work as a matter of course.. no charge... now that is the kind of service I like.. I am happy to travel and pay for good workmanship.

Just like Duncan of Star Spangeled Spanner in Lincolnshire (RV's work and parts) or Darren for parts and work in Cheltenam (RV spares)... when you find good people you support them. So if anyone is reading this and they go to him or one of the others.. great.. it is then worth the effort to post the details.

Bob

p.s Just to make sure Peter does not feel left out Johns Cross is first class for the European motorhome:thumb: Johns Cross is just down the road from us on the A21 in Kent about 15 miles South.. have often purchased from his shop and taken advantage of the MHF 5% discount.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I fitted my own, as the hab battery and vehicle battery are so close to one and other I sited the BM next to the hab battery, directly wired it and then onto the vehicle battery. Works a treat:thumb:

Cheers for that Dane, I'm hoping mine will be as easy although I probably shall not do it now till after some holiday thingy that's s'posed to be happening later this month.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Brian, it usually takes les sthan half hour to fit one of those things mate..

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Brian, it usually takes les sthan half hour to fit one of those things mate..

I'm sure you are right John.......but it seems these days any little job I take on, expecting it to be 10 mins nearly always takes all day:cry:

Think I'm just getting old and decrepit:Blush:

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
I often find this equation to be true

work expands to be greater or equal to the time you have available.

example

Sunday off, ten minute job started at ten am, finished monday when you can get the extra bits you broke.:cry:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Okkkk.. let me stop being polite..
I will do it for you and you can help ! ( as in stand and watch and maybe point at things ) :winky:

What type is it ?
How many wires coming from it ?

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Okkkk.. let me stop being polite..
I will do it for you and you can help ! ( as in stand and watch and maybe point at things ) :winky:

What type is it ?
How many wires coming from it ?

Thanks John, It is a wee black box, approx match box size, just 3 wires (starter batt +, leisure batt +, & ground) approx 100mm long.

I have been assured by VanBitz that it is quite a simple fitting task but I haven't been out to the van to find the split charge relay which is where I'd like to fit it.

I will get out and have a look over the next week or so to see where its going & if ok with you I shall get back to you then if I find any problem.

brian

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You do not need to find anything clever at all Brian

Connect one wire to the +VE of the van battery, one to earth and the third to the +VE side of the any one of the leisure batteries ..

The wires are marked ..

My wee box is just left ( more or less ! ) dangling under a seat !

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You do not need to find anything clever at all Brian

Connect one wire to the +VE of the van battery, one to earth and the third to the +VE side of the any one of the leisure batteries ..

The wires are marked ..

My wee box is just left ( more or less ! ) dangling under a seat !

That's about what I reckon John but as the wires are so short I should not have to extend them if I can find the split charge relay

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What is with you and the spilt charge relay !!!

Go direct to each battery.. eliminate all the possible issues of relying on the oem wiring and where they may or may not have run it.

I NEVER use oem wiring for anything as you never know if it goes somewhere odd ( or in one case I came across 2 years ago, via a bloody great big wirewound resistor which I am STILL baffled about !! )

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
When you put it like that I see what you mean....I'll have a look during the week.
Is it worth putting in any fuses ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well I do.. For the few minutes it takes to slap an inline fuse on both the inputs it will mean you know you can breath easy.. A 3 amp fuse will proly be sufficient ( but am working from memory.. think that will do though.. Always go with the lowest possible value without it blowing )

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Its as much about protecting the wires between the battery and the unit that you need fuses

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Its as much about protecting the wires between the battery and the unit that you need fuses

That is what it does
"Built-in automatic regulation and fusing ensures a safe and efficient 1.1 amp ‘trickle charge’ making it totally safe for all electrical components and any motorcaravan. Have this British Made product fitted to your motorhome and forget the battery blues."

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
You missed the point the fuses should be fitted to protect the length of wire on the battery to the unit

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No I didn't that is exactly what it does. The internal fuses limit the current flow to 1.1 amps
Put more fuses in series if you like

Do you seriously think that if further fusing was required that the instructions would not make that clear for DIYers? and they do recommend the split charge relay as the ideal point to connect it
http://*********************/Brochures/Battery_Master_Customer_instructions.pdf

I imagine the link above is edited due to the source being outdoorbits

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back