£63 a night (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Found vacancy at campsite in Dorset we have always fancied staying at!Only availability in August is for 7 nights(not a problem) but £63 a night☹️!Decided to save money for when we go to France at end of august!I doubt if 3 weeks on French sites will come to nearly £450!😊
Three weeks on Aires could come in at zero

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Found vacancy at campsite in Dorset we have always fancied staying at!Only availability in August is for 7 nights(not a problem) but £63 a night☹️!Decided to save money for when we go to France at end of august!I doubt if 3 weeks on French sites will come to nearly £450!😊

It's easy enough to find sites €50+ in France & Italy.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Which campsite in Dorset is it please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Is that the site that charges for the pitch and all occupants, if so and it is a family then not bad value, but if just a couple then a no-go.
Lots of the sites we used as a family fell into that bracket, great back then, not so good now, plus we don't need all the entertainment etc now, we prefer quiet and peaceful, unless there are funsters around !! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
This year I am paying €100 per night for a beach side, 120m2 pitch, (water, drain, etc) on the Adriatic at a 5 star resort site.
We've spent very little on our touring over the last two years so we don't care. This is us arriving back in Italy with a bang.

I don't understand why some people spend more than a hundred grand on a lux moho then journey from aire to aire, for next to nothing. We like staying at good sites, rather than a concrete parking place. However each to his/her own.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Paying MUCH less than that at a Castel in France for 7 nights on a VIP pitch with BBQ, fridge, storage shed and all services in the pitch. £63 is a tad over the top

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't understand why some people spend more than a hundred grand on a lux moho then journey from aire to aire, for next to nothing. We like staying at good sites, rather than a concrete parking place. However each to his/her own.
Simple, the Motorhome was bought out of life savings, using it comes out of our pension.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm sure these prices will just mean more members joining the FLT brigade ! It makes sense to me as the whole point of having a motorhome is freedom of choice and not having to resort to ever increasing campsite costs. Just wait to this coming winter to see the price of electricity on campsites.

Last edited:

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
We are paying £64/night on Isle of Wight in July but there are six of us (kids + grandkids) on a massive pitch, us 2 in the MH and the others in a tent. Whilst it seems expensive if we didn’t do this I’d be paying for the kids, etc to have a chalet/caravan as we have in previous years….can’t wait for them to win the lottery and start paying for me!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Paying MUCH less than that at a Castel in France for 7 nights on a VIP pitch with BBQ, fridge, storage shed and all services in the pitch.
Hi.
Stayed with the c/van at one of their sites some years back.It was in the grounds of a Chateau. You could order a meal mid morning for the evening , the chef would go and buy the ingredients and the meal was cooked and ready for you that night. Super sites.
Tea Bag

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This year I am paying €100 per night for a beach side, 120m2 pitch, (water, drain, etc) on the Adriatic at a 5 star resort site.
We've spent very little on our touring over the last two years so we don't care. This is us arriving back in Italy with a bang.

Not everyone has a hundred grand van,
A month on that site would be more than our vans worth.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Wow, I read your post once, had a lay down, got up, I’ve read it again and I’m back on the bed.
Not criticising at all BTW I think it just must be my Pontefract upbringing.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We are paying £64/night on Isle of Wight in July but there are six of us (kids + grandkids) on a massive pitch, us 2 in the MH and the others in a tent. Whilst it seems expensive if we didn’t do this I’d be paying for the kids, etc to have a chalet/caravan as we have in previous years….can’t wait for them to win the lottery and start paying for me!
Every year campsites increase there prices and veterans like me can see just how much these have increased over time. Many of those new to motor homing IMO must think todays prices are more than reasonable, especially when compared to say a B and B and think there getting a great deal. This may explain why the demand for campsite places is greater than the supply and whilst this is the case the prices will continue to increase and considerably so.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Every year campsites increase there prices and veterans like me can see just how much these have increased over time. Many of those new to motor homing IMO must think todays prices are more than reasonable, especially when compared to say a B and B and think there getting a great deal. This may explain why the demand for campsite places is greater than the supply and whilst this is the case the prices will continue to increase and considerably so.
But won’t the current countries financial situation have an impact surely.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
How much the campsite costs is really relative to how much value you get out of it.

Right now we are at a campsite in the middle of Salou, cost E80 per night.

It's worth the price to us as we stroll into town and stagger back.

Full security and best toilets and showers we have ever had. They even have cleaners on duty 24/7.

So for us it's perfect we brought our own hotel room and they provide the rest!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My friend has just had a week 8 berth static caravan in Caistor near Great Yarmouth 7 nights £185 including gas and electricity
We had a week at haven ingoldmills earlier this year , entertainment ,pool , all facilities,hook up if you wanted £9 a night.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

This has got to be a wind up ! £100.00 a night for a pitch. Seriously !!!

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
This has got to be a wind up ! £100.00 a night for a pitch. Seriously !!!
Of course it isn't £100 a night!!!

It's only 100 euro a night. It's actually a few cents over 100 euro.
It is August so it's gonna be pricey. And we are paying 2021 pitch prices because that is when we booked it.

All the other sites we are staying on in the summer are cheaper, ranging from 31 - 45 euro a night. But we wanted a proper, beachside resort week. That is what these things cost.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Of course it isn't £100 a night!!!

It's only 100 euro a night. It's actually a few cents over 100 euro.
It is August so it's gonna be pricey. And we are paying 2021 pitch prices because that is when we booked it.

All the other sites we are staying on in the summer are cheaper, ranging from 31 - 45 euro a night. But we wanted a proper, beachside resort week. That is what these things cost.
Care to name the site ! I've just got to see what your paying for.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.

As you say, each to their own. When abroad we use a mixture of both sites and aires but budget max £30 per night all in. Our last trip abroad, pre pandemic, was for 5 weeks split almost 50/50 between France and Spain. From what I remember we spent less than £300 on sites. But would never knock anyone for spending their entire time on a site. Can’t wait for 27th August when we set off for France, Spain and poss Portugal. First time across the water since Sep 2019

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
It’s a bit like looking for lost golf balls - can be fun, more interesting and many are super places. Wilding is best

Not sure that looking for golf balls is fun, but as I said, each to their own.

Wilding is a choice, a type of touring, rather then THE definitive way to motorhome. It can't be best for everyone, because it would absolutely not suit us with our two disabled offspring. One day, once we have our boys safely living in supported accommodation, we may try wilding ourselves.

Right now? We need at least a week of sun, sea, beaches, beach bars and ice cream, in order that they tolerate me and Mrs DDJC gazing inanely at mountains, waterfalls, rivers, lakes, glaciers, architecture and other kulcher stuff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back