Suite Maxi extra leisure battery? (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Suite Maxi
Hi

We've recently bought a Chausson Suite Maxi and I am making some changes to allow it to be off grid most of the time.

We have the motorised bike rack in the garage and the battery storage is in-between the rails of the bike rack.

I was wondering if anyone had managed to fit a second leisure battery?

I'm assuming that another hole could be cut in the garage floor, but I'm worried about how that might affect the strength of it.

Does anyone have experience of either doing this themselves or having it done?

Thanks.

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
You can fit one on the left when you open the locker door. I had a 100 amp battery in there
chausson battery.png

I ran the wires outside through the battery box then back in so only two small holes in the floor

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
You could just relocate your leisure battery bank to somewhere better for you - space etc... Then just a case of extending cables, making sure batteries are vented to outside and for peace of mind placed in a tray to catch any spills should the worst happen (and secured to floor or wall to stop them moving).

I moved one battery from a tiny dedicated battery tray on one side of my old MH to under a vacant dinette seat on the other side of the van where two batteries fitted perfectly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G
Jun 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Suite Maxi
You can fit one on the left when you open the locker door. I had a 100 amp battery in there
View attachment 633164
I ran the wires outside through the battery box then back in so only two small holes in the floor
I keep looking at that little space, it is useful for bike helmets and tools, but it may well make a good place for a second battery.

Did you put a battery tray in there?

OP
OP
G
Jun 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Suite Maxi
You could just relocate your leisure battery bank to somewhere better for you - space etc... Then just a case of extending cables, making sure batteries are vented to outside and for peace of mind placed in a tray to catch any spills should the worst happen (and secured to floor or wall to stop them moving).

I moved one battery from a tiny dedicated battery tray on one side of my old MH to under a vacant dinette seat on the other side of the van where two batteries fitted perfectly.
That's a good idea. I will have a look around to see if there is a place to put two together.

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
I keep looking at that little space, it is useful for bike helmets and tools, but it may well make a good place for a second battery.

Did you put a battery tray in there?
No tray but it was vented and strapped down

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G
Jun 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson Suite Maxi
OK. Finally got around to trying to take this job on. A couple more pointers needed, if anyone can help?

I have a second battery and have identified the space to put it, I just need a little help on wiring.

I have followed the wires out of the existing battery and as far as I can see the first place that they pop out is at a split relay box, so I have something that looks like this:

VanWiring1.jpg

Main is the existing LB.

The positive battery cable (25mm) and a much thinner negative cable come from the main leisure battery to the relay.

Can I check my thinking, please?

I think that I want to end up with it like this:

VanWiring2.jpg

But having looked at the diagramme on this page - Second leisure battery
img11.jpg

It looks like I don't have to connect the negatives battery to battery? As long as they are grounded they will be OK?

It looks like a fuse 'in-line' between the two positives would be a good idea? I have not seen this recommended elsewhere.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!

Attachments

• VanWiring1.jpg
    VanWiring1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 6

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread