Physical Security (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 1984
Picking up our first motorhome next week and although it has an alarm and a tracker fitted we would like to get some additional visible security fitted. Have looked at a Disklock for the steering wheel, can anyone recommend it. Any other suggestions?
We turn our drives seat around push it against the steering wheel and padlock to the base. They can’t get to the peddles or steering wheel. Just a small thing but all helps

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Have any of you added together the extra weight of all those steel locking devices? It’s already a struggle to keep within the maximum payload.
It’s always a worry about the possibility of theft of the MH especially these days. Maybe I’ve been lucky, but in over 40 years of caravanning and now with MH the only theft I’ve had was a couple of towels left outside to dry YEARS ago.
I have an immobiliser, alarm, tracker, pole concreted into driveway at home and when at home before the pole is my car, then after the pole 4 large wheelie bins and a trailer. Not a five minute job to get rid of that lot. Oh yes, AND outdoor light with motion sensor AND two CCTV cameras.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
You did not answer my questions in my paragraphs 2 and 3
Wherever we are the idea is to make our property less attractive for thieves to try to steal…….after all most thieves are just looking for the easy targets most of the time. There are plenty of those.

I do not feel unsafe whilst touring, but no need to make make myself an easy target. (y)

Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
We turn our drives seat around push it against the steering wheel and padlock to the base. They can’t get to the peddles or steering wheel. Just a small thing but all helps
Belt and braces . They have to get through this lot while alarm going off

Attachments

• 9E3B996A-AE5C-45D8-BF4C-7C405BEA5B96.jpeg
    9E3B996A-AE5C-45D8-BF4C-7C405BEA5B96.jpeg
    871.7 KB · Views: 140

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Picking up our first motorhome next week and although it has an alarm and a tracker fitted we would like to get some additional visible security fitted. Have looked at a Disklock for the steering wheel, can anyone recommend it. Any other suggestions?
Best security is to discover if your base vehicle comes with deadlocks and if it does then get into the habit of always locking your MH using them.
Example ours is a 2017 Peugeot boxer pvc , if I press the bottom on the remote to lock the doors when leaving the van it does so and flashes the indicators once. That is "normal" locking , however if I were to instead press the lock button twice in quick succession after leaving the vehicle , this would enable my "deadlocks" to be enabled , this is confirmed by the indicators flashing three times.
Now even if someone smashes a window and leans inside the vehicle to manually open the door , they will be unable to open the door.
Just thought I would put this out there incase someone is not aware their MH came with deadlocks and were unaware of it.

Feb 6, 2014
suffolk
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
As well as steering locks I swivel the drivers seat and put a padlock to prevent the seat being returned to the driving position!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
. 🤷‍♂️...somebody once said that if they want it enough they will get it.

Thats true, but when you leave home you lock your front door. Why? You can break a window and be in a house within 5 seconds.

Leave your front door open and you attract the opportunist. Fitting good locks, and hingebolts and a camera above the door, doesn't strengthen the windows but it does deter.

Dec 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Researching which type.
Exp
Future newbie from caravanning for 44 years
Yes I can, I have one for my car, however, it’s very heavy and bulky. I can recommend the Milenco commercial steering lock with Police approval (it’s longer in length then the normal versions) together with a Clutch Claw fitted on the foot pedals.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Whenever I read these threads about all the various security systems I start to wonder whether I am too laid back.

May I ask whether these systems are for when you are 'resident', or just for when the MH is parked, either on the drive or in storage?

If we are on tour then there is the possibility of theft of objects, but is anyone really worried about the whole vehicle being stolen, with you in it?

For theft of objects we do have an alarm system but rarely feel the need to set it. But that is because we usually park away from others and do not envisage thieves touring around he countryside looking for the odd MH to burgle - easier to go to a campsite and pick the easiest.

At home we are in a different situation from most, being 'A' Class RHD in a LHD country, too big to go in a container, so likely to be spotted. Also they would have to drag it 70m to the road, through a narrow gap and past an Alsatian. dog.

The chassis is FIAT and 19 years-old so probably not valuable for spares if broken down.

I have never thought of adding the items described above.

Am I being too complacent/relaxed?

Geoff
You have considered the risks and do as you think is appropriate, there is no right or wrong 👍

I had many anti theft devices on my last motorhome but it was rare and desirable for parts, on this van I have a disklok and padlock on drivers seat....I also replaced the passenger door lock for a blank after someone tried to break in on the drive.

I have used a disklok on all my vehicles for decades, to me the theft is not about money...its the inconvenience of having a holiday/trip ruined

I do know of one motorhome that was lifted by a hiab over the bollards on a driveway and I have helped a fellow motorhomer break into his own van onsite...took less than 10 minutes and caused no damage.....so if somebody decides today is the day they want your van then it will happen even if they have to rob the keys off you 😕

Just dont let security overshadow your joy of ownership 😁

Dec 24, 2020
North Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Free S 600
Exp
Extensively by motorcycle, now trying it with a little more luxury!
I use a TVL pedal box when ever parked up, not cheap but very well made and easy to fit.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
VanBitz alarm and immobiliser. At home it's parked at the far end of the drive in such a way that a 99 point turn is required to turn it round - and we park the car behind it. It's not visible from the road.

We also have a gravel drive so plenty of noise if vehicles come up.

Apart from that a large dog makes for a good deterrent. I do know of people who don't have a dog but put dog bowls outside their vans anyway.

Mar 29, 2020
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
I wanted to fit some form of security to prevent the vehicle being stolen, being a van conversion with limited space and weight constraints the vehicle has a alarm and immobiliser but i did not want anything heavy and clunky, i went for a "Bear Lock" from "TheftStop.co.uk" it is permanently fitted under the dashboard and it locks the van in reverse gear it is easy and quick to unlock and lock. This makes stealing the van a lot more difficult labels are fitted on the driver's and passenger windows stating that a "Bear Lock" is fitted, it gives me piece of mind that if the van is broken into there is a very good chance the van will not disappear.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
VanBitz alarm and immobiliser. At home it's parked at the far end of the drive in such a way that a 99 point turn is required to turn it round - and we park the car behind it. It's not visible from the road.

We also have a gravel drive so plenty of noise if vehicles come up.

Apart from that a large dog makes for a good deterrent. I do know of people who don't have a dog but put dog bowls outside their vans anyway.

Only way I get fed Helen:LOL:

Steve-N

Free Member
Sep 14, 2021
Cheltenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Camper
Exp
2nd Campervan since 2019
Steering wheel lock (always on when away from van) wheel clamp when parked on my drive and 24/7 cctv, also a Thatcham alarm that sets with the normal key (which is kept in a Faraday pouch to prevent cloning)

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Milenco Inside and Outside Operating Door Lock for the habitation door, esp if you can fit it high up out of simple reach. You can lock it from inside, so if you are a bit unsure of people trying to get in at night, it gives some extra comfort.

We thought ours helped when we had the door tried in Calais a few years ago. You also lock it as you go out, as an extra visual deterrent.

Jun 29, 2020
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
boxer L4 H3
Exp
self built and finished
i have swivel seats on my boxer would love to know how others have fitted pad locks or motor cycle dislocks to them.
you don`t need to go into details but i`ve looked at mine and cant figure out were to fit.
i also have the dislock they say it can be picked but sometimes its hard enough with the key.
i also have an OBD lock and a tracker that i fitted.
i will be fitting a ghost alarm soon

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
i have swivel seats on my boxer would love to know how others have fitted pad locks or motor cycle dislocks to them.
you don`t need to go into details but i`ve looked at mine and cant figure out were to fit.
i also have the dislock they say it can be picked but sometimes its hard enough with the key.
i also have an OBD lock and a tracker that i fitted.
i will be fitting a ghost alarm soon
See #23. If you can get under the seat from in front, you drill a hole to fit the Patriot lock snugly; you may need washers to get the yellow part tightly against the seat base so it can’t be levered up or cut through. Apparently the yellow “plastic” stops an angle grinder gripping or so I have read on previous threads!

Incidentally, further to my #58, we always close the Remis blinds on all windows when we leave, even to go shopping. Then, people have no idea what security items you have - which may take them more time than they want to spend looking for them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back