LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
hi all, i had a cruise control fitted to my 1999 pug boxer by a well known wakefield mobile electronics co.
They came to start fitting it at my premises at 15.30 even though 5 hours was quoted for the job. He then decided it would be better if he took my motorhome back to there place in wakefield. After they had brought it back last night i noticed the interior clock was not working + when i turn on the ignition the heater panel + switches surround lights come on,does anybody else's do this.
but just to top it all off they have broken the status ariel off on the roof. I rang them this morning and his reply "i dont know how that could've happened". this is exactly why i wanted the job doing at my place, anyway he said they will try and come out next week to look at it as they are very busy. If i get no joy from them i will name and shame them.
ps.. the cruise control works ok, as long as i remember to knock it off before changing down gear.:Angry:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
hi all, i had a cruise control fitted to my 1999 pug boxer by a well known wakefield mobile electronics co.
They came to start fitting it at my premises at 15.30 even though 5 hours was quoted for the job. He then decided it would be better if he took my motorhome back to there place in wakefield. After they had brought it back last night i noticed the interior clock was not working + when i turn on the ignition the heater panel + switches surround lights come on,does anybody else's do this.
but just to top it all off they have broken the status ariel off on the roof. I rang them this morning and his reply "i dont know how that could've happened". this is exactly why i wanted the job doing at my place, anyway he said they will try and come out next week to look at it as they are very busy. If i get no joy from them i will name and shame them.
ps.. the cruise control works ok, as long as i remember to knock it off before changing down gear.:Angry:
dont know who fitted it but it should knock it self off the second you dip the clutch:Eeek:and the second you hit the brake's or the gas peddle:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cruise control should be linked to your brake and clutch pedals via microswitch's at least.... touch either and the control should turn off.

as for the status.....theres only one way to knock one off....garage door too low.

tell them if it aint fixed in a given time frame you will be going to small claims court.

and, lights coming on that DIDNT BEFORE, it sounds like they've cocked up the ignition switch wiring harness.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Do they have anything to do with male sheep?

The firm that did some work for me I would not let them change a bulb in an outside toilet

OP
OP
lou020

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
jhorsf and brian you are both correct. (co name) The cruise cont does knock off once i touch the brake pedal but not the clutch... nearly blew the bloody engine when i tried to down change gear last night.

OP
OP
lou020

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
hey pappajohn, is it pretty straightforward to fit micro switch to clutch pedal.
ie.. link it to brake pedal switch. cheers lou

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be destructive.....

picture the scene.....

going uphill with cruise on.....cruise is winding in more and more throttle 'til there's nowt left, but the hill is too steep so the van slows down more and more.

you dip the clutch to change down and you have full throttle..

full throttle, to the governor, is used during the MOT for emission tests but for just 1 second or so to avoid engine damage

you could be on the governor for 5 or 6 seconds before you can knock off the cruise in panic mode.

personally, i'd tell them they know jack shit about cruise control and you want it removed immediately with a full refund.

OP
OP
lou020

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
how true the above post is about the company:thumb: i mean the cowboy not pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hey pappajohn, is it pretty straightforward to fit micro switch to clutch pedal.
ie.. link it to brake pedal switch. cheers lou

it should be with fabricated bracketry by wiring pos of the cruise wiring to brake and neg to clutch then link the other two switch terminals together, either will then break the circuit.... but why should you.....its their cockup. :Eeek:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I would take it to your local main dealer. get them to remove the CC and make sure the vehicle electrics are not damaged etc, if they are, get them to fit a new loom or section of. Inform Bodgeit and Leggit of what you are doing, tell them they can cicumvent this, and the resulting cost to them via your solicitor,( the amount will probably be too large for a small claim court.) by removing the CC and refunding all monies paid, plus an amount to cover te cost of verifying that your electrics will cause you no problems in the future (ie no bad joins or scotchlocks).

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Lou...Have a word with Dave Newell ..He is a funster member, a great bloke (first class) he writes in Practical Motorhome under Diamond Dave.....I came over from France to have mine cruise done by Dave on my previous Motor Home 2 years ago (1 hour to two all done and it was great better than the one fitted as standard by Fiat! on my new motorhome) he may tell you what your problem is he may be able to put it right for a small charge if you get no joy from the garage that fitted it / damaged it and use the bill in the small claims,
Dave also fitted me two Alugas refillable on my new motorhome this year:thumb: He is in Telford

Mel

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
from what iv been reading about your fitted CC it no better than a stick between the seat and the gas peddle:ROFLMAO:
get on the phone and tell them its dangerous,and you are seeking legal advice:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back