pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Tragic !!!!!

I always advise, at least, to loosely coil a hookup lead and never to leave it tightly wound...it had to happen one day :Sad:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Tragic !!!!!

I always advise, at least, to loosely coil a hookup lead and never to leave it tightly wound...it had to happen one day :Sad:

and it will again I only mentioned it once to a van next to us that had a big drum under his van and he more or less told me to mind my own business as he had always done it that way. as the saying goes there are none so blind as those that will not see

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
A very sad story, tightly coiled leads are such a common sight on sites, I've given up trying to explain to folk the dangers. A few years ago OH decided to do some wallpaper stripping with an electric steamer type stripper ready for me coming home. She didnt uncoil the extension lead properly and it went into meltdown, blowing the main trip and scorching the carpet.

With the onset of winter and the extra heating folk use its an accident waiting to happen?

You'd think CC & C&CC site wardens would be onto this, both organisations are quick to put up signs for often the most trivial of thing?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I go over the top. My lead is all over the place:Blush:

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
you've only got to lok at an elecric fire to see how wound cable heats up, slightly loose or tight it don't matter.:cry::cry::cry:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Always uncoil ours and when i wind it back up i do so that i cant use it unless its uncoiled save me just leaving it coiled if im in a hurry.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I'm definitely going to be an uncoiling from this point onwards.

And I think the idea of having a long and short lead is a good one, as many times the short one would do just fine.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I learnt that lesson with a 12v inspection lamp. Used it with the wires coiled tightly around the lamp and lo and behold..... magic smoke! Ruined it the first time I used it and a salutary lesson.

I always flake out spare hook up under the van - it doesn't need to be done quite like that but it is easier to coil back up again if flaked out (a bit like the owner......)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
over the years I have told countless people of the dangers only to be told been doing it for years no problem. So stopped because people just think I am interfering and don't have a clue. whlist the outside of a coil may feel cool how many check the inside?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Had that recently Roger..
So.. after chatting for a while and having a wee glass or two, I brought up the subject again, this time asking if they would mind if I just tried putting my fan heater on their van for a wee while

Left it on and had another little scotch ( hic ! ) and then asked the chap to feel the ehu lead

Lets just say he unwound it, thanked me for my perseverance ( filled up my glass again ) and assured me he would NEVER do it again and would also be passing the info on

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Always carry 2 leads the one that came new with the MH and a 16 metre Blue one (brilliant in cold weather as it dosen't stiffen up unlike the orange types)

90% of the time the blue is long enough. So yes carrying 2 leads is a good idea. :thumb::thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
hook up

well only to often seen happy campers get up in the mooring to see there hook up flaked out i use to carry a bit off hook up with me all welded together and melted us to leave a note on thee window come and see watt i have thay us to come over sometimes just a bit pissed off but the next time you would see them thay would have it all lad out :RollEyes:
i do not use a hook up tidy would sooner just tie it together with a bit of string

its so sad that lives have to be lost like this:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back