PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Just seen maintenance guy doing the rounds emptying trash bins in ' The Car'.

20220610_182252.jpg

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Tonights effort! Big shrimp guys and genuine Italian pasta. Mena opening the wine and doing other bits.
View attachment 628335

Phil

This is no criticism of your cooking but the photo raises a Q that I have had in my head for a long time.

If one is trying to infuse a taste into king prawns, whether just garlic or from a sauce, why cook them with the shells on, as that presumably, at least in my mind, stops the flavours entering the flesh?

It also makes for messy eating.

I may be told how wrong I am to even think of de-shelling them before cooking.

Geoff

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Phil

This is no criticism of your cooking but the photo raises a Q that I have had in my head for a long time.

If one is trying to infuse a taste into king prawns, whether just garlic or from a sauce, why cook them with the shells on, as that presumably, at least in my mind, stops the flavours entering the flesh?

It also makes for messy eating.

I may be told how wrong I am to even think of de-shelling them before cooking.

Geoff
I'm no Masterchef but have seen these cooked with and without the shell on. Cooking with shells on protects the delicate meat and adds to the flavour. It is however messey when eating but can also add to the meal. Back home I buy them ready to cook, peeled and they are easier to cook! Others will have thete own opinion no doubt. I like to try out various meals but I'm no masterchef, sometines it works sometimes It doesn't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Best way to cook those bad boys is to leave the heads on, remove the shell from the body, after that as Phil cooked them just add what every flavour you prefer, Garlic, Curry Paste or just Lemon Juice.
Perfecto.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Its blowing well today and forecaste is for a little rain later. This I think has put off many from arriving this weekend although numbers are clearly up and quiet a few tents have appeard under the trees. Perhaps it will continue to increase during the day and tomorrow. I think the bar staff will be disappointed as they told me they would be overrun this weekend and that is a long way off at this moment in time. Mena and I went for s short walk this morning, around our bay and crossed over to look at the much larger bay next door, all of 500 Mt's away. It's quite scenic looking out into the sea from here but when you turn around and look inland its stunning.
One of the bar staff tried to short change me yesterday and crumbled when I challenged her. No doubt I may have missed one or two previously. I'll be watching them like a hawk now, my FLT reputation is a stake even though I have spent a shed load of money so far on this trip and expect to spend a shed load more before we get home.
20220611_133002.jpg
20220611_132953.jpg

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It looks just fine to me Phil, my kind of place…🍻
Today has Bern great! The Creten families seem to be having a great time and really getting into the camping scene. The children in particular are very well behaved and seem to be having a great time without interfering with others or annoying elders. We watched a big game of beach football this afternoon all ages and a bit brutal at timed but all in great spirit. Tonight will be about getting together and enjoying some geodesic well into the late morning. Good people polite, friendly and making the most of it. Tonight there going to get some Keb Mo from yours truly. They do like Jazz anyway. Sun going down now and cooling down a tad. Catch up with you tomorrow perhaps!

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Don’t think we’ll be going to bed early there’s a wedding on the beach. Last one when we where here last time lasted till daybreak and multiple gunshots lol
6DD46617-279D-4949-822D-B3114BDFAFA4.jpeg
51649AA3-706E-41EF-B4F4-136FA5BEE79B.jpeg
C0765A38-54B4-4B6C-88EF-9E2F3F5C45F6.jpeg

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Don’t think we’ll be going to bed early there’s a wedding on the beach. Last one when we where here last time lasted till daybreak and multiple gunshots lol
Quite a few years ago we were invited to a wedding party in Luxor, Egyot by some locals we had got to know.
A few handguns started to be fired into the air but then things quickly progressed to multiple AK47s emptying their magazines!
I was with my wofe and youngest daughter so we made a sharp exit before anything worse developed.
Scary!

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Orders for tonight. Wild goat, lamb and potatoes, fish, a sort of whitebait type starter, loads of red and white wine. The red is shit. Stuffed vine leaves and and wild root. Greek salad. Bread has appeard as I type. This should be fun, the restaurant is highly rated. More to follow.
20220613_193200.jpg

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Noticed the "starter" fish hadn't been gutted, we're they a bit gamey ?
Not at all. I think small whitebate type fish are cooked whole anyway. That's always been my experience when eating these little guys over many years. Anyway, they were were great and very enjoyable and fresh. Can fish taste gamey?

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
When/if I get to Morocco I’m having this done to my van👍👍 love it😍😍
Then make sure you get it done by Rashid and not the many rip of merchants who show you his pictures, agree a price and make a crap copy that will not last a year and demand as much money from you as they can get.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Can fish taste gamey ?
I quite like whitebait, but it's always been a lot smaller than those specimens !
It was a remark I heard from Rick Stein on one of his travel programmes regarding red mullet, he said the French don't gut it and it has a slight gamey flavour, they call it the "woodcock of the sea" as you don't draw them either before you cook them ?

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Asked by Busman Dave if I could explain the game of cribbage today. I trued but I dont have a clue. Its far too complicated for an old boy like me. Can any members give him some pointers, I think he might be struggling to understand how it should be played. I must admit to being confused when Maggie says and 34 makes 6 plus one for his knob. What on earth is that all about.???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back