Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Hi,

As I was reading the latest MMM and the review of the tag axle motorhome, it set me wondering. What are the merits or otherwise of using a tag axle, over the twin wheel axle of say, a 'Trannie' or Merc?. I always thought that tag axles scrub out tyres more due to the way they slide around corners. Also, what about payload of each. Which can carry the most? I assume cost comes into it as well. Is it cheaper for a convertor to buy in a tag axle 'Bogey' than use a twin wheel Transit or Merc?.

Just my enquiring thoughts.

ken

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi ken,
i really dont know the answer to this one but my views are:-

if twin wheels were the answer then why dont the manufacturers use them.
probably because of the suspension geometry on alko type chassis, which seems the popular choice, on large motorhomes. cant see how twin wheels can be fitted to a trailing arm torsion bar setup as it would be too far outboard of the chassis and need to be soooooo heavy to cope with the bending effect.

twin axles should carry more weight than a single axle ie- larger, rigid hgv's.
hence heavier, larger body and more payload.
i'v only ever seen twin wheels on a standard rear banjo axle

it will probably allow a longer overhang which, by law, has a maximum of 60% of the wheelbase behind the rear wheels. hence longer body.

saying all this any manufacturer using standard tranny/merc chassis would probably go for a twin wheeler for the extra weight/payload over a singe wheel axle.

apart from all this they do look the dogs do-da's. :thumb:

just my opinions,

john.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was told that a twin wheel will have a greater towing capacity than a tag. If this is true, I have no idea why,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I was told that a twin wheel will have a greater towing capacity than a tag. If this is true, I have no idea why,

maybe the extra weight the twin wheel, over a single axle,single wheel, can carry, jim.
its a bit like the caravan tuggers, big van needs a big car and not just for more power.
anything approaching 2 tonne will need a big 4x4 for the weight even though a 2 / 2.5ltr car has the ability

john.

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: The advantage of a Tag axle as against twin wheels is that it allows a longer wheel base and perhaps some extra load capacity. Our Newmar has both. :winky:

OP
OP
J

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years

Would this not be because twin wheels are normally rear wheel drive. Which begs another question. Are pushers better for towing than front wheel drive? Now my 6 tonne chassis, according to the book, has a payload of 1200kg and will tow 2000 kg, apparently.

ken

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Towing limits aside, double wheels will give you better grip on softer ground, because you will get more tyre on the ground than with a tag axle which takes weight off your drive axle also when turning on soft ground their will be less drag

C

cabby

Deleted User
the reason that most motorhomes are alko chassis or even tag axle is simply cost. a FWD is cheaper than a RWD.if it was the other way round then you would see more trannies or mercs than Fiat/Pug.plus bulk purchase as well.
Having had both I prefer the RWD which gives a smoother ride.

cabby

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
John,

I did read somewhere that 2.8 Ducato chassis were originally based at 3.5 ton and 2 ton towing but if increased in any amount up to 4ton, then towing capacity compensated, but yours contradicts this. I wonder if the Alko chassis (or not ) has anything to do with this?.

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back