Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Just popped up to the storage to give the MH a little run, ready for our New years Eve trip.

He started 1st time... all good ::bigsmile:
Until, I decide to drive off, it just would not go into 1st gear, no matter what! I drove off in 3rd, rev'd to high heaven up the hill, smoke & smell coming from the gear/clutch area....:Eeek: Horrible! :cry:

For the next hour, drove it around, trying to get it in first and reverse (just would not go into reverse!), eventually it did but with difficulty. I have noticed this before (but no where near so bad) in the past, after it has been stored for a long time, takes a good few hours before the 1st & reverse gears work easily. But now I think it is serious! :Sad:

Oh what could it be????? :cry:Gears? Clutch? Expensive? :cry:Has anyone else suffered this problem with the 2003 Pug Boxer?

Any help appreciated as very, very worried. Thanks

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
OK, a little advice,

1) Dont knock your clutch out trying to force anything, if it aint working, get it fixed , dont cause another problem by frying your clutch.

2) Have you checked the oil in the gearbox? The fact that the problem rises after a lay up, could indicate low oil, or the wrong type. MANY gearboxes now run on synthetic oil or automatic transmission oil, if someone has filled it with a thick oil at a previous service, that couldbe causing a problem until the box is at a hot temperature.

3) gear linkages can wear, on the earlier boxers, the linkage was a bodge up because the vehicle was built LHD, then converted to RHD for export with a weak linkage set up...get help to change the gears while you look at the linkage.

4) Get it professionally checked by someone you trust, its very easy for someone unscrupulous to make a good few quid from a fault like this.

5) If you looked at the absolute worse than can happen, ie you need a new gearbox,...lets face it, your motor wont be right till its sorted, nor will it be reliable, so bite the bullet and get it done.

HTH John.

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
thanks guys

Thanks guys, for your advice :Smile: I am going to have another look at it tomorrow so will look at the linkage. Not sure how to check the lube though :Doh:

Peter, it's not sloppy though, other gears are fine, just the 1st & reverse are really, really stiff :Sad:

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow ::bigsmile:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Thanks guys, for your advice :Smile: I am going to have another look at it tomorrow so will look at the linkage. Not sure how to check the lube though :Doh:

Peter, it's not sloppy though, other gears are fine, just the 1st & reverse are really, really stiff :Sad:

i hope its not a pussy cat thats got stuck in the linkage:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Hopefully it will be obvious, but if not give Glenn a ring on 01580-883061, we have a good mechanical fitter who won't stitch you up.

Peter

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
thank

I don't know if its cable, will have to have a look tomorrow.

And no kitty, we checked ::bigsmile:

Thanks Peter, may need to give him a call.... just what we need before Xmas, extra expense :Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you should be able to iliminate the clutch as follows....

on level ground and when cold, engage first gear and hold down the clutch BEFORE you start the engine.

keep the clutch down and release the park brake.

does the van creep forwards ?

if yes, then the clutch isn't clearing properly and could be sticking to the flywheel when stored for a while.(2nd/3rd/4th/5th are easier to select than 1st/reverse at any time)

if no, then its not the clutch.

i cant see it being the cables as its the same cables which select all gears and once warmed up gear selection is normal.

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
give the linkage a good check over sounds like somthing is semi seized on the external gear linkage/cables that is

locking up when the vehicle is left standing for a while and then frees up after a while when used doesnt sound like clutch to me

we bought a really low mileage truck many years ago from near Barnsley absolute nightmare to drive home would not change down below 3rd gear when we checked a u/j on the linkage was seized freed of in minuites,when i got the service history it had been in Mercedes three times for gear change faults two new clutches gearbox stripped and checked you name it did thousands of miles after no problem

hope it works for you

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Is this the model that had water run down and drain on top of the gearbox?

Nov 21, 2011
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
7 years
We have the same problem and have learned to live with it.
We took the Van to the garage for its service and asked then if they could do anything with it, they said its a common fault that is not good but does actually get better with time, ...........actually it has over this last year.:thumb:
Its a 2005 model.
I suggest that you leave yourself with plenty of time and take the gear change easy ours has definatley improved this year.We have a Boxer in work 2006 and it can be stiff as well.
Clive

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Fixed!

Fixed!::bigsmile: Not only fixed but better than before!

Took all of the wonderful advice give by you guys and found the linkage...WD'd the life out of them! Had to remove the air filter and cover first but that was OK, then took the cover off the gear lever inside the cab and WD'd the hell out of that too ::bigsmile: Then, with the clutch in put it into first and reverse over & over again, until it was nice and loose....very happy indeed ::bigsmile:

Will now lube every year and on my monthly visit to run engine for 30mins, will also 'exercise' the gears for 30mins.

Thank you to all for your help, could not face a bill for a new clutch or gear box :Sad:

Hope this helps others with the same problem too :Smile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
just think of the repair bill you have saved:thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Fixed!::bigsmile: Not only fixed but better than before!

Took all of the wonderful advice give by you guys and found the linkage...WD'd the life out of them! Had to remove the air filter and cover first but that was OK, then took the cover off the gear lever inside the cab and WD'd the hell out of that too ::bigsmile: Then, with the clutch in put it into first and reverse over & over again, until it was nice and loose....very happy indeed ::bigsmile:

Will now lube every year and on my monthly visit to run engine for 30mins, will also 'exercise' the gears for 30mins.

Thank you to all for your help, could not face a bill for a new clutch or gear box :Sad:

Hope this helps others with the same problem too :Smile:
just pay £20 to a charity of your choice that way you can give back a little of what you have saved from the kind friendly members on the forum :thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
WD is good at freeing, next time you spray it, use white grease aerosol, it'll last a lot longer:thumb:

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
imho i would take down the linkage joints and clean them with meths and wet and dry then use a dry lube like a graphite spray as anything wet will attract grit and cause wear in the joints by making the grease into grinding paste this will then cause premature wear and sloppy gear change hope this helps :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back