LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have been thinking about overwintering in Spain this year and then over to Morocco. But having given it more than a little thought over the last few days have decided to head straight for Morocco instead of touring Spain.
Hoping to be out there sometime at the beginning of January, returning end of April when the weather is getting warmer there. In the past have usually left the UK end of September and stuck it out in Spain till the New year,then headed off to Agadir for the colder months,but because of hospital appointments etc its been later before I could go. The bus is almost ready,all I now need is to make sure my body is up to the trip.:Doh:
My main man RR hopefully will be accompanying me on this trip, so should be interesting,as he wont have any TV for sometime:cry:. We will try to give some details as we go along,photos etc, but it will depend on Moroccan Internet cafes. Am really getting excited about this trip now as its been 2 years since I was away long term. Will keep you all posted nearer the time of departure.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
all I now need is to make sure my body is up to the trip.:Doh:
My main man RR hopefully will be accompanying me on this trip

Might I suggest you paint large red crosses on your vehicle. It will help the one still concious to drive at high speed to the nearest hospital.

Good plan though provided half of Germany are not taking up all the pitches.

Glyn and Debbie

Free Member
May 18, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
Since 2008
Hi snowbird, we haven't met as yet but can I ask you a question, how do you go on for insurance for morocco?, is it in your existing policy ?, do you pay extra and if so who insures you. Sorry if you think I am being a bit nosey, but have thought about a trip there myself but I thought I might have a problem with the insurance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am with Saga insurance and they are issuing me with a green card.........

Well Snowy was never expecting this but what a great idea...........::bigsmile:

Got to get my skates on to get new van ready..............:wooo::wooo::wooo:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi dave and john . if you get chance and go south call in to tarfaya there is a museum about the french air mail . and the bloke on franki.s signature is the man. its very interesting .its the last stop before he flew planes across to america. well worth a visit . if its closed ask around they opened it for us .
hopefully i have atached pics of the doorway and the monument to him. there is also an island just off shore it was a british off shore trading post. worth the visit.

Attachments

• P2030208.jpg
    P2030208.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 86
  • P2030202.jpg
    P2030202.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 104
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Have been thinking about overwintering in Spain this year and then over to Morocco. But having given it more than a little thought over the last few days have decided to head straight for Morocco instead of touring Spain.

Wow! That's awesome. Can I come too :roflmto:

Have a wonderful time, and do keep us all posted on how the trip goes as it is definitely one I would like to do some time.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Might I suggest you paint large red crosses on your vehicle. It will help the one still concious to drive at high speed to the nearest hospital.

Good plan though provided half of Germany are not taking up all the pitches.

I presume you have not had the good fortune to visit a Moroccan hospital Brian.

I only went into one once and immediately made my mind up never to visit one again. Am sure you would have a better chance of survival with a vet.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I presume you have not had the good fortune to visit a Moroccan hospital Brian.

This is true.

But seriously, I don't know your medical state ( you mention hospital appointments) but we all know John's a bit so I hope you sort out some good medical insurance and/or have good contingency plans. Ray does Essouria to Cuete in one big hit but that's still about 24 hours to a European hospital. If local medical support is that bad you have to be thinking that first hint of trouble run for home.

Always have a plan.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This is true.

But seriously, I don't know your medical state ( you mention hospital appointments) but we all know John's a bit so I hope you sort out some good medical insurance and/or have good contingency plans. Ray does Essouria to Cuete in one big hit but that's still about 24 hours to a European hospital. If local medical support is that bad you have to be thinking that first hint of trouble run for home.

Always have a plan.

We both have ADAC support re, breakdown and recovery with travel insurance.

The private clinics in Morocco are very good,but of coarse you need medical cover.I wouldn't want to go to a normal hospital out there. A friend was bitten by a dog a few years ago and I took them to the hospital in Agadir for stitching and injections. The place was a huge new modern building on the outside but when entering the doors it looked like some sort of field hospital from the Crimea. The private clinics are top notch though,so I wouldn't have any problem taking RR there to have any other bits removed if necessary.:Eeek:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
We both have ADAC support re, breakdown and recovery with travel insurance.

The private clinics in Morocco are very good,but of coarse you need medical cover.I wouldn't want to go to a normal hospital out there. A friend was bitten by a dog a few years ago and I took them to the hospital in Agadir for stitching and injections. The place was a huge new modern building on the outside but when entering the doors it looked like some sort of field hospital from the Crimea. The private clinics are top notch though,so I wouldn't have any problem taking RR there to have any other bits removed if necessary.:Eeek:

Oi...............:Cool:

Thank you Brian for your concerns and noted............:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I wouldn't have any problem taking RR there to have any other bits removed if necessary.:Eeek:

Take a felt tip marker, with language problems it might be a good idea to mark any bits requiring removal.

-------CUT HERE-------

-------Coupe Ici--------

------وحة المفاتيح العربية-----

christine1310

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Southampton
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking but we are thinking of going to Morocco this February for the first time. What are the campsites like down by Agadir, do you stay on campsites or wild camp? Is the weather usually good in winter?

Thanks - Christine

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking but we are thinking of going to Morocco this February for the first time. What are the campsites like down by Agadir, do you stay on campsites or wild camp? Is the weather usually good in winter?

Thanks - Christine

Hi, Average weather is around mid 20s. I personally don't use many campsites but many do. I was one of the first to try the new campsite North of Agadir Atlantica Park, but found it to crowded for my liking. Many do like it and sit there all winter. It is of European standard and very good if you like that sort of thing, but the prices are creeping up now. Its still possible to wild camp in Morocco just as its still possible to wild camp in Spain,its just that the options are not as great as they used to be. There have been stories of price rises in Morocco recently and of course they are true but prices rise all over the world,nothing stays still for ever. Having said that its just about the cheapest place you can drive to for guaranteed winter sun. The diversity of the countryside has to be seen to be believed. Once you have the smell of Africa up your nose you will always return.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Here's an update for those interested. Ferry booked with DFDS into Dunkirk at £45 one way. RR has chosen another ferry as hes worried they will not allow me into France after my last fiasco and does not want to take the risk of being arrested with me:RollEyes:.
On a more serious note have been in touch with Juan Carlos Gutierrez in Algeciras regarding the ferry to Tangier and the prices he is quoting are very good,in fact on a par with what they were 3 years ago.
The master plan is to take a steady meander down through France and Spain sticking to the N roads as much as possible and because both RR and myself have Jewish blood we will be avoiding any tolls after Dartford. It will be interesting to see how we go on without the tolls all the way down to Agadir.
If anyone would like to tag along please feel free, (doctors,nurses,mechanics,carers,anyone that can read a map) would be most welcome.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Dave sounds as if you have a good plan coming together, when are you booked on for, would be good if you could put your eventual route on, as someone with your experience it would be helpful to those who want to do it but not quite sure about it. I am sure you will have a great time. A blog would be good to follow.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Carol, Thanks for the interest. Will try to find out how to do a blog. Am not so good at those things. Will do my best to set one up in the next few days. Am going out on 28 Dec and meeting up with RR somewhere south of Calais later in the week. From there we will travel via Paris,Bordeaux,Bayonne to the border at Irun. We will be using the old convoi exceptionel route as much as possible, which is the wide load route through France. I hasten to add that its not because RR and myself are a wide load:winky: but because wide loads are not allowed on French motorways, as they cant get through the paiage. We cant get through them as we wont spend any money.::bigsmile:
From Irun via Burgos,Valladolid,Salamanca,Caceres,Sevill, then the boat from Algeciras to Tangier. Am using Tangier this time as there is nothing to be gained from going into Cueta as the fuel is cheaper in Morocco now than it is in the enclave. Have had to cancel my insurance with AF this morning as they refused me a green card and have re-insured with Saga. A green card is a must for Morocco. You can buy insurance in Tangier but I think its only 3rd party cover, so would not recommend it.
Hoping to take about a week to 10 days down to Algeciras as am in no hurry, unless the weather is poor on route. If so we will evaluate and see what happens.
Am still planning a route down through Morocco and will post when complete Am
thinking along the lines of traveling down the west coast to Agadir then inland and then north through Marakesh on the way home. Will give you a more detailed account when have finished planning.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I agree with Carol. A blog would be a pleasure to follow. You can do it by clicking on the blog link on the top menu. It's easy :)

I'd love to do what you are doing one day, and so it would be nice to follow you on route to see what fun you have, prices you pay, routes you take, etc.

Looking forward to the updates Snowbird.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi , not spoiling dave and johns trip . .i usually do it as well. 26,000 campers hit morocco on average between november and march. difficult to set prices but if not using sites expect tospend about 3,500 quid . could be more might be less . thats asumming you drink and smoke a bit. get you booze in spain before you cross or if you are lucky in the beer and wine shop in ceuta port by the gates. exit...
as dave says better to get a green card from your uk insurer. borders can be easy or very hard . depends on the day. you just never can tell. best get out of tangiers and head either down the coast or to the desert as fast as you can. unless its a normal trip for you tangiers can be a frightening experiance. you either love it or hate it. i have been visiting since 76 so find it easier and easier. still get hassle sometimes but now i stay calm. well nearly. its a great experiance . very mind changing . lets you know how well off uk really is . it is changing fast so if you want to get that distant experiance do it soon. i love it there .couldnt live there but find the people very friendly and still see friends from the 70,s . be interesting to hear daves story after his 3 yr break. wish i was going with you two. there is a big adventure out there. drive safe becarefull. i know dave as been before ,he is old school at it really.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I will be very interested to read this blog and where I have been as my memory these day's is useless :cry:

Can you attach photos to Dave? I can help you post it if you write it:winky:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I will have you know Alan & Dave I am a very seasoned traveller, our ship docked for 36 hours at Tangier so have a pretty good idea already:winky:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but have youever parked by 3-4000 campers free parking on the beach . with just about everything imaginable being sold and bought . thats only one place. the further you go the more you find . you two are just children at it by some of the travellers . i meet some that are like mum dad ,grannie etc every year. all nations . you will be part of another big family when you have been their awhile. i like the coast but also right out in the desert is a different feeling . can smell it feel it just thinking about it. can taste the cold desert water lifted 20-30ft in tin can on a bit of string . hope dave takes you up todra or gorges de dades. with are you can go up one and come down the other . but travelslwly.mind blowing experiance. try it . e did it one year a parcel force van ,a glasgow service bus and mine. makes ice truckers in india equal . mind speak to sundowners about the route to india thats good as well.
should you go further down the coast wait till you get to daklar, even a bit further lovelly beaches and fishing brilliant. bet you take hundreds of pics. bet you will want to go back next year.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
but have youever parked by 3-4000 campers free parking on the beach . with just about everything imaginable being sold and bought . thats only one place. the further you go the more you find . you two are just children at it by some of the travellers . i meet some that are like mum dad ,grannie etc every year. all nations . you will be part of another big family when you have been their awhile. i like the coast but also right out in the desert is a different feeling . can smell it feel it just thinking about it. can taste the cold desert water lifted 20-30ft in tin can on a bit of string . hope dave takes you up todra or gorges de dades. with are you can go up one and come down the other . but travelslwly.mind blowing experiance. try it . e did it one year a parcel force van ,a glasgow service bus and mine. makes ice truckers in india equal . mind speak to sundowners about the route to india thats good as well.
should you go further down the coast wait till you get to daklar, even a bit further lovelly beaches and fishing brilliant. bet you take hundreds of pics. bet you will want to go back next year.

Hi Al, Its a pity you cant make it this year but there will always be others. Re, Dakhala its only second for fishing to Norway, the only downside is the flies. Was almost eaten alive by them. Don't know why they congregate down there, that's maybe why the fishing is so good. Will of course be going up the Todra, the campsite up there is one of the better ones, if there's room. Personally the Dades does not do much for me, but I know many do it. Your right though, there is so much to see and its so diverse. Have heard many say that they have been to Morocco and when asked they went on a day trip to Tangier and didn't like Morocco.:winky:. Ah well you cant please all of the people all of the time :Eeek:.
Its strange really,but all the years of travel it has never bothered me as much as this trip. Am really looking forward to it. Before I never planned, I just loaded up and went with no set plan,but this one has got to me somehow. Am quite excited.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
gas lights in the truck in evening help with the flies.
you ought to take him up dades . the twisty road is great.
we went up dades missed the first road across and went right up to agboudal. took two days but an epic trip. keep saying next time we will go further then cross to midelt. the landrover crowd reckon its not possible in our trucks but then we think they are poofs .
think more time inland is the way now . the coast is getting money grabbing. many roads are now tarmaced and electric is getting every where along with proper tap water. even the berliet truck is disapearing fast . mitsubishi rule. put 13 ton on a 6.3 ton truck and drive on. two bullocks and six sheep 4 adults on a m,bike trailer trike thats the life.
john will definately want to go back i,m sure .

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well having consulted some of my old maps have come up with a basic itinerary from Tangier. Its not written in stone and I would be most grateful of comments from any others that have visited Morocco or are contemplating a visit. Here goes.
N1 Tangier to Asilah....Stop.
A1 M/Way bypassing Casablanca picking up the R320 coast road to El Jadida...Stop.
R301 coast road to Sidi Bouchta...Stop.
R301 coast road to Essaouira...Stop.
N1 to Taghazoute...Stop.
N1 to Agadir then N8 to Marrakech...Stop.
N9 to Tizi-N-Tichka/Taddert...Stop.
N9 to Quarzazate...Stop.
N10 through the Dades valley to Tinerhir, take an excursion up the Todra gorge...Stop.
N10-N13 to Marzouga...Stop, unless you are on a camel this is were wheels are not much use,start of desert.
Return via Source Blue...Stop.
Over the High Atlas...Ziz gorge-Azrou-Meknes back to Tangier.
Take a slow drive up through Spain and France ready for some Tetley bitter in May/June.
All comments welcome as its been a few years since I did this trip.
One more thing.....Dont worry RR....You will be fine.:whatthe: Just think..what have you got to lose :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well having consulted some of my old maps have come up with a basic itinerary from Tangier. Its not written in stone and I would be most grateful of comments from any others that have visited Morocco or are contemplating a visit. Here goes.
N1 Tangier to Asilah....Stop.
A1 M/Way bypassing Casablanca picking up the R320 coast road to El Jadida...Stop.
R301 coast road to Sidi Bouchta...Stop.
R301 coast road to Essaouira...Stop.
N1 to Taghazoute...Stop.
N1 to Agadir then N8 to Marrakech...Stop.
N9 to Tizi-N-Tichka/Taddert...Stop.
N9 to Quarzazate...Stop.
N10 through the Dades valley to Tinerhir, take an excursion up the Todra gorge...Stop.
N10-N13 to Marzouga...Stop, unless you are on a camel this is were wheels are not much use,start of desert.
Return via Source Blue...Stop.
Over the High Atlas...Ziz gorge-Azrou-Meknes back to Tangier.
Take a slow drive up through Spain and France ready for some Tetley bitter in May/June.
All comments welcome as its been a few years since I did this trip.
One more thing.....Dont worry RR....You will be fine.:whatthe: Just think..what have you got to lose :thumb:

Great route Dave.. the same one we did with DD.. only the other way around.. would love to do it again.. some breathtaking scenery .. :thumb: Should make Johns heart skip a few beats :roflmto:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

3 years on we've still get sand in all the corners. You'd not get me anywhere near that damned sand again.

But the rest, certainly.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Brian...With the greatest of respect,pray tell me what were you expecting to find in a desert. :winky: :Smile: ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back