LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have a wi fi booster which connects via USB.
What I want is a "splitter" so that I can plug my booster in and split it off to two laptops by USB cable.
Does such a thing exist? :Doh:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
found this and i think it may do what you require.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-2x1-USB-Peripheral-Switch/dp/B000KRN1Q8[/ame]

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Andy, that looks like the very thing. I will conduct a search next time we are near a pooter shop. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
What I want is a "splitter" so that I can plug my booster in and split it off to two laptops by USB cable.

I think what you need is a USB hub, they are also available with there own independant power supply, however I think there may be problems with which computer takes control of the wifi unit.

Doug...

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I think what you need is a USB hub, they are also available with there own independant power supply, however I think there may be problems with which computer takes control of the wifi unit.

Doug...

Thanks Doug but no a USB hub is a different critter It turns a USB port on your pooter to a 4x or2x the unit Andy shows is what I need but thanks. :thumb:a

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you should be able to do it without spending any money by using the internet sharing on your computers

basically set up a network to connect the 2 computers together using their wifi connectivity and set one up to connect to the internet via the other computer.

someone else may be able to tell you how to do it as i don't know how to i just know its possible and if using 2 windows computers its in the software somewhere.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
you should be able to do it without spending any money by using the internet sharing on your computers

basically set up a network to connect the 2 computers together using their wifi connectivity and set one up to connect to the internet via the other computer.

someone else may be able to tell you how to do it as i don't know how to i just know its possible and if using 2 windows computers its in the software somewhere.

Did this Andy. Got the network set up and it worked a treat.
The first time pfft.
After that it comes up with "connected" and "no internet connection" even though the "share internet connection" box is ticked.
Tried all I know to no avail hence I will buy a splitter when we get home :thumb:(twice the price here in French France) :Angry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

If you want two running at once you can't do it that simply. Both computers would be trying to control the receiver and that will fail. Anyway you can't "split" USB. You can switch it.

I think you can do it by cabling the two computers together via LAN and letting the one with the receiver act as an internet server for the other. Might be possible if both have WiFi and you set up a local network.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You can share an internet connection by setting up an 'ad hoc' network.. I did this in the van and was sharing with two other laptops ..

From Windows7 help

Set up a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network

An ad hoc network is a temporary connection between computers and devices used for a specific purpose, such as sharing documents during a meeting or playing multiplayer computer games. You can also temporarily share an Internet connection with other people on your ad hoc network, so those people don’t have to set up their own Internet connections. Ad hoc networks can only be wireless, so you must have a wireless network adapter installed in your computer to set up or join an ad hoc network.

Click to open Network and Sharing Center.

Click Set up a new connection or network.

Click Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network, click Next, and then follow the steps in the wizard.

Notes
If one or more of the networked computers is joined to a domain, each person using the network will need to have a user account on that computer to see and access shared items on it.

If the networked computers aren't joined to a domain, but you want to require people to have a user account on your computer to access shared items, turn on password-protected sharing in Advanced sharing settings.

To turn on password protected sharing
Click to open Advanced sharing settings.

Click the chevron to expand the current network profile.

If password-protected sharing is off, click Turn on password protected sharing, and then click Save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

An ad hoc network is automatically deleted after all users disconnect from the network or when the person who set up the network disconnects and goes out of range of the other users of the network, unless you choose to make it a permanent network when you create it.

If you share your Internet connection, Internet connection sharing (ICS) will be disabled if you disconnect from the ad hoc network, you create a new ad hoc network without disconnecting from the old ad hoc network for which you enabled ICS, or you log off and then log back on (without disconnecting from the ad hoc network).

If you set up an ad hoc network and share your Internet connection, and then someone logs on to the same computer by using Fast User Switching, the Internet connection will still be shared, even if you didn't intend to share it with that person.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Ken I think the very thing you need is sat in one of our draws

You may ask what an old hammer and chisel fart is doing with one and I do not know the answer. You are very welcome to it but-----I ain't posting it to Limoges

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Pppffffft----- what do you want to come back to this horrible wet and windy sh one t hole for wait there I will bring it to you

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Pppffffft----- what do you want to come back to this horrible wet and windy sh one t hole for wait there I will bring it to you

My manager says WHEN????? You now have a good excuse to come for christmas. You need to deliver Munchies thingy.!!! :thumb:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Did this Andy. Got the network set up and it worked a treat.
The first time pfft.
After that it comes up with "connected" and "no internet connection" even though the "share internet connection" box is ticked.
[HI]Tried all I know to no avail hence [/HI]I will buy a splitter when we get home :thumb:(twice the price here in French France) :Angry:

obviously wrong size hammer attachement :Eeek:

or find a spotty herbert with a back to front hat and droopy strides :thumb:

EG grand child :Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back