Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
My habitation door has an aluminium skin. The door retaining catch which is fixed on by two pop rivets has parted from the door leaving two holes of which one is 4mm. I cannot get access to the inside of the door because it is sealed with a non removable plastic cover.
Has anyone any suggestions on how to remount the plastic door catch? Are there pop rivets that could be used, bearing in mind the thinness of the aluminium skin. Can I use sikaflex to secure the catch and if so what type would it be strong enough to withstand extreme pressure. Another solution would be to drill through the inner door covering and fasten the door catch with small stainless steel nuts and bolts.
Any advice/tips would be very welcome.

Ian

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Ian Sikaflex will stick it back on but does not hold onto plastic well-it lets go after a while-so I would use the sikaflex to fill the hole (full,it sticks ali excelent) and the catch, then get some fat self tappers- Failing that see if you can drop/ higher the catch still covering the holes and self tap :winky:
terry

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Try peel rivets instead of pop rivets. they work much better on thin materials. If you look at the photos on the link below you will see what i mean. :winky:

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
The peel type rivets suggested by gazzer will work fine as they split into 4 giving a larger load bearing surface than a normal pop rivet, available in 3.2mm, 4mm and 4.8mm diameters. The bit of the nail left in the head when you set them can fall into the skin and rattle, so useful to put a bit of mastic in the centre to retain the pin.

If you want to bolt through, a Jack Nut would pull down to 0.4mm wall thickness - it means drilling holes, but will leave you a steel 4mm thread.
Link Removed

If you want a couple, pm me and I'll see what I have

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
there can be a problem using nuts and bolts through the door.....

if the door is of sandwich construction...ie, outer skin, foam, inner skin...then the foam will be crushed before the nuts/bolts are fully tight.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
My habitation door has an aluminium skin. The door retaining catch which is fixed on by two pop rivets has parted from the door leaving two holes of which one is 4mm. I cannot get access to the inside of the door because it is sealed with a non removable plastic cover.
Has anyone any suggestions on how to remount the plastic door catch? Are there pop rivets that could be used, bearing in mind the thinness of the aluminium skin. Can I use sikaflex to secure the catch and if so what type would it be strong enough to withstand extreme pressure. Another solution would be to drill through the inner door covering and fasten the door catch with small stainless steel nuts and bolts.
Any advice/tips would be very welcome.

Ian
I had a similar problem
i cut a flat plate of 2mm thick aluminum about 600 x 600 to cover the holes
I used sickerflex and screws to bond it to the door
I then mounted the door retainer to the aluminum plate job is sound as a pound ( i had to grind the rivets off carefully as not to damage the door face)
as its an RV i have belly lockers with again coming away from the side of the van i did the same to each mount
(hint i polished the aluminum to very high shine before fixing and they look great

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I had a similar problem
i cut a flat plate of 2mm thick aluminum about 600 x 600 to cover the holes
I used sickerflex and screws to bond it to the door
I then mounted the door retainer to the aluminum plate job is sound as a pound ( i had to grind the rivets off carefully as not to damage the door face)
as its an RV i have belly lockers with again coming away from the side of the van i did the same to each mount
(hint i polished the aluminum to very high shine before fixing and they look great

600 x 600 may be a bit of overkill , 100 x 50 mm may be better :Doh:::bigsmile:
terry

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Rivetnuts work in thin alli

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j637MlgO9os&feature=related[/ame]