Change to Yank (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Im thinking of changeing my mh Bessacarr e765s 4 years old for a yank not the big ones as i do most of my w/ends in Scotland i quite fancy Four winds Chateau as it ticks all the boxes what do you guys think

Bill:Smile::Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Bill

You will get lots of different replies, some say 'go for it, can't beat a yank' others like myself are a bit more pragmatic and cautious ..

Having toured Scotland with a 36ft RV I found the width, not length, was the biggest problem.. mine was only 96" wide.. the Four Winds is 102" ?

This can present problems and doesn't make for a relaxed drive, even on some of the A class roads... coaches and lorries don't give way ... narrow single track roads could be difficult, so I stayed well away which greatly restricted where we went.. Access to some sites was also very tight ..

If you accept the limitations the yanks are great to live in .. and presumably you have considered the extra fuel costs .. Horses for courses ,...

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
YANK

Hi Bill,we have had an RV for the last 5 yrs after previously owning 2 european motorhomes and 2 caravans and i would not go back now:thumb: you get far more for your money with an RV and the smaller ones are great value for money.yes the running costs are an issue but if you but a petrol chateau with an lpg conversion it makes the mpg a lot cheaper.register on funs sister site,The RV Owners club and you will get all the questions you want to ask answered:thumb: www.rvoc.co.uk.see u on the other side Bill:thumb:
regards brian jo and josh:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Hi Bill

You will get lots of different replies, some say 'go for it, can't beat a yank' others like myself are a bit more pragmatic and cautious ..

Having toured Scotland with a 36ft RV I found the width, not length, was the biggest problem.. mine was only 96" wide.. the Four Winds is 102" ?

This can present problems and doesn't make for a relaxed drive, even on some of the A class roads... coaches and lorries don't give way ... narrow single track roads could be difficult, so I stayed well away which greatly restricted where we went.. Access to some sites was also very tight ..

If you accept the limitations the yanks are great to live in .. and presumably you have considered the extra fuel costs .. Horses for courses ,...

The width was my concern and as you say fuel costs, as i have put my m/home of the road for the next 2/3 months i have time to think,thanks for your response

Bill

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi like Jim says if you can live with the restrictions then why not especialy if you get a newer sprinter based one.If not go for one with the gas conversion that way fuel will not be so expensive :Eeek:For me it would be a defo no no simply based on the way we use the van / I use it to go into town etc in fact just like I use the car :thumb: so parking up and not moving around or bike/toad is no use to us.If doing that you may as well be a tugger ::bigsmile:
terry
edit sorry to repeat what BrianJoJosh has posted x over while I was typing

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Didn't have a yank tank but did do a bus conversion.
For me it was a compromise between living comfort, MPG and mobility.

With the bus I could live in great comfort and carry 2 weeks worth of water/waste etc. But it meant I was limited where I could go and cost a lot more to run 10mpg.

With the little van I am in now, I can go anywhere, I carry 1 week worth of water and get 30mpg but live in a really cramped space.

It's all a choice....

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I've had 3 RV's and covered 100'000 miles plus in them and am a huge fan but a year ago went the other way and downsized to a 25ft European and love it.It has opened up a whole new way of m/homing and a relaxed way of travelling.

The RVs were always stressfull because you are so limited to where you can go because of the size mainly the width which is a big issue also there are fewer and fewer campsites allowing RVs on.

I'd have another RV tomorrow but it would have to be a sensible width and have a decent diesel engine with reasonable fuel economy which unfortunately does'nt exist in any RV yet. You might think you can live with 6 or 7 to the gallon but in the end I decided it would have been cheaper to use the car and stay in B&Bs so the RV had to go.

Good Luck:thumb:

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I've had 3 RV's and covered 100'000 miles plus in them and am a huge fan but a year ago went the other way and downsized to a 25ft European and love it.It has opened up a whole new way of m/homing and a relaxed way of travelling.

The RVs were always stressfull because you are so limited to where you can go because of the size mainly the width which is a big issue also there are fewer and fewer campsites allowing RVs on.

I'd have another RV tomorrow but it would have to be a sensible width and have a decent diesel engine with reasonable fuel economy which unfortunately does'nt exist in any RV yet. You might think you can live with 6 or 7 to the gallon but in the end I decided it would have been cheaper to use the car and stay in B&Bs so the RV had to go.

Good Luck:thumb:
Regarding the issues with sites i have noticed in the last year when booking sites the first question they ask is it a RV when i ask why, they said that they dont want them due to the size As i said in my first post i do most of my touring in Gods Country so the restriction thing is a problem.I would say pound for pound the rv on build quality is far better but as you say when you factor in Fuel and Restrictions.Decisions Decisions

Bill

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Not all RV's or Yanks are tanks

Not all RV's are tanks.. have a look at the link at the bottom of this page to my RV .. this I found on the internet sometime ago but as you will see it is not a monster.

It comes in at 24'9" long and has a slide out. 4 berths, massive fridge and freezer, all the usual yank bits and bobs.. this is a rear bathroom version. which is what we hunted for. I can accomadate up to 29' on my drive.. or I have to store it. So this baby and it is a baby gives me everything .. under 5.5 tons all up and with the proven Frod Trition V10 6.8 has bags of power.. I do pull a 2 ton loaded car trailer (makes me 45' long then) never know it is behind me when I pull.. OK you feel it on the breaking, but the yanks have tow/haul fitted and the engine does the slow down work.

I have managed to get on to UK sites OK and all the French one's I have visited. Yes it can be a bit worrying when you have a skip lorry pass you. the vehicle is 9'11 on the mirrors.. but being a B class I can pull them in.

We paid £28k for it and have put about another £14 on it in extra goodies including a 26' tv and a saterlite system. .. it does about 14 to the gallon at 55 mph with 1800 RPM on the taco.. not the cheapest fuel wise, but I could have had it lpg'd but the cost verse the miles I do just did not stake up. I keep my RV's about 5 years and it would mean the buyer would gain and not me, so I spent the money on the nice goodies like a 1500 watt invertor.

A full set of tyres cost about £600 as they are just overgrown 4 x 4 type and easy to get in the UK. It is maintained by a local renault dealer for servicing.. parts are easy to get from various UK based dealers.. you would die for some of the goodies yanks have made for them, we have a big book 1,000 pages of add on's.... Just about to have a fresh water filter fitted with it's own tap... Yank item imported off the shelf in the UK... my best after market item was the Airlift suspension I had fitted over here.. all remote control wireless from the cab or outside the vehile if I wish.

As I say look at the link, have a nose and remember not all yanks are tanks.

Of course I would recommended them as I own one.. but I had my first A class Dodge chassis - Champion 'Tittan' 24 years ago.. only had one UK motorhome..C class Glendale.. these days my RV has an alluminum frame and all the panels are fiberglass including the roof.

Bob:Cool:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have downsized from a yank as large family has gone down just to me............:winky:.......lifes not all bad......::bigsmile:

So from just over 10 mtrs down to just around 6 mtrs A Class Eurovan........

I loved my RV and glad I owned one ::bigsmile: but mine was huge and very thirsty.........

I have hopefully gone from 6 mpg to nearer 30 mpg mind you my earning are relatives this to.....

You are looking at a sensible size but think carefully

I have bought some very flashy boats in my time that were extremely unconformable to try and live on............but that's the old me :Cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join the RVOC it's a must in your shoes >>>>>>>> www.rvoc.co.uk <<<<<<<

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Bailey,

We have a fourwinds dutchman dorado RV which is 27ft 4" long, and we have been to Germany, Italy and France several times and have never had any problems with our size (if a lorry or bus can get up and down so can we). We previously have had european vans our last one being a bessacarr 760 and £ for £ we find that the RV is not all that much different to that, our RV has been converted to run on LPG which is cheaper than Petrol/diesel. We also have the added space via the slideouts and spare are easily obtained and service and advise we get from Duncan at star spangled spanner spanner is excellent.

Good luck with your search,

Sheila

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back