Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Anyone use a laptop as a navigation aid as opposed to ..or in conjuction with a tomtom for instance.

if so what software and what are the advantages.......etc.

Do you plug it into the dash while you travel...........or use a small inverter ?

What do you think ?

thanks barry

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Not used one myself but a friend of mine used auto route 2006, you just need a GPS antenna and yes a inverter.

Hell of a job balancing the lap top on the dash. :Doh:

Nick

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have never used one myself but have thought about it as a mate used his laptop for the same job. He had his satnav as well but used the laptop to scan through were he was going in more detail. He had a small square antenna on the dash and plugged the laptop into the cigy lighter with a 12 volt power lead. It was some time ago and he had a pile of disks that he loaded into the laptop. I suppose things have moved on a bit since then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Autoroute 2011

Have a look here, thinking of investing for next season but need to know more about it. Free trial period available. Other MH owners on another forum speak highly of this product, but I cannot figure how to stabilise laptop although we do have a very large/wide dashboard.
Any members using already ?

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/autoroute/home.aspx

Regards, Bryan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes.

I've used my netbook with Autroute 2007 via a bluetooth GPS dongle. Not used it route planning but we were literally stuck in Gstaad going round and round in circles due to roadworks. Used it as a moving map to work our way out of the damned place.

I believe it will work as a conventional GPS navigator with voice prompts.

With the big display it's very impressive. Powered off a 12V laptop supply.

Gstaad is also might impressive, I wish we could afford the big hotel there.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Also used Autoroute 2007 on a 12" Sony laptop mounted on the dash of the RV

downsides...

Autoroute does not re route if you are diverted or go the wrong way ..unless they have changed it in the latest release, that is a major problem..

Hard to see screen in bright sunlight.

The Sony hard drive failed.. possible due to dashboard vibration .. repaired under warranty but I never used it for that again and bought a TT ...

It would be fine if used by the navigator on a dedicated table .. bonus is you can see the whole route and where you are exactly .. but for driving instructions the dedicated Sat Nav is far better ..

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Jane often sits with a large map book and double checks on tomtom
though we dont tell tomtom cos we dont want to hurt his feelings.

But it was an idea to use a small laptop instead of a physical map
so she can use it as we go along in conjunction with tomtom

barry

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
RAM mounts would be the way to go......

http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/laptop-tablet-mounts-c-491.html

RAM mounts are much used by motorcyclists for mounting satnags/cup holders/surface-mounted yoghourt makers etc etc.

I'm interested in knowing more about GPS dongles, because the one I bought earlier this year refused to work, and my money was refunded.

I have Autoroute on the netbook, but haven't been able to use it in anger because of the dongle problem.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm interested in knowing more about GPS dongles, because the one I bought earlier this year refused to work, and my money was refunded.

I have Autoroute on the netbook, but haven't been able to use it in anger because of the dongle problem.

Did you download a USB to serial driver for the dongle ?

I used 'prolific' , but I guess if you Google there are more

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

My netbook has no bluetooth, so I bought a tiny USB bluetooth dongle for under £2, a bluetooth GPS dongle for under a tenner and to my surprise they worked perfectly first time.

You don't have to go bluetooth. RS232 is the old connection for GPS receivers.

My set up is something like......

Ebay 320794151026

Ebay 320728125700

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I was under the impression that all you needed was a laptop
and the usb GPS plugin that comes with the programme......do you also need internet connection?

I thought that it would work without it ?

barry

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I got Autoroute 2011 as a birthday gift and although I haven't used it en-route yet it certainly looks the part with it's planning options and its spoken street names and directions. This version does include automatic re-routing and no, an internet connection is not necessary with the GPS USB stick. Agreed the laptop could be a problem in the cab, gets a bit warm on your knees after ten minutes or so.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
and the usb GPS plugin that comes with the programme......do you also need internet connection?

barry

try this Barry Link Removed

Mel

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class

barry
Hi,
we use Autoroute 2010 in conjunction with Tom Tom.
2010 version does reroute if you take wrong turn and no you do not need to be on the internet to use it.
Also yes you only need the GPS plugin that comes with it.
It works very well and there are lots of points of interest on the "Do Your Dream", website from the Funsters I think Mel and Ryan.
We use an inverter for power.
Really good software.

Lesley

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In areas I'm not familiar with I tend to plot waypoints into Tom Tom so I know exactly where its taking me. But on route its nice to have the big picture using Autoroute, especially so in France when you don't want to be online due to data charges so the laptop with Autoroute is always on.

That red circle always showing us where we are is so helpful. Its easy to see at a glance whether a road leads to that beach or lake without having to wait for the map to be unfolded by my good lady, then those "where are we again" questions followed by loads of map shuffling, a full blown argument, and a "give the bloody map here" So by the time we know the answer we're 30 clicks past it, "yes that road would have lead to that lovely resouviour:Doh:

Yes, TomTom and Autoroute Express rocks:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back