France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Well Just a thought, Some of you may be interested in this information
Refillable gas in France.
I have Alugas 2 X 11kg bottles......................fitted by diamond Dave Newell ( first class Job Dave..thank you):thumb:

We have the Alde wet heating in our Motorhome so when we are not on electric it is quite thirsty on the old gas plus a large fridge and freezer....we can go through 1 X 11KG Bottle in 7 days easy using it sparsely (hot water in the morning every other day for around 1.5 hours.....and heating on in the evening when needed for around 1.5 hours.......so we have filled up this trip many times....if you look at the regions we have been in....NOT ONCE have we been refused or had any trouble re-filling the bottles ..we do have a exterior filler point.....now our van is 7.4 meters long so many of the filling stations can be a bit tight so we do stop in flowing traffic onto the pumps sometimes so we are not inconspicuous and Rapido in France does have a cult following....where ever we go French people are looking through your windows wanting to talk Rapidos wanting to look inside and it seems a van many of the French want...so in a fuel station you can not sneak in and out

All has been fine.:thumb:

Mel

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Surely you must be mistaken Mel...

I have often read posts from people who know someone who has told them you can't get motorhomes re-fuelled with LPG in France...

So, you have done it over and over again and experienced no problems at all...

Hmmmmmm.

Should I rely on the rumours or on the "hands on" "first hand experience" of someone who actually knows...

Bit of a dilemma hey? :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

I have often read posts from people who know someone who has told them you can't get motorhomes re-fuelled with LPG in France...

Hmmmmmm.

Should I rely on the rumours or on the "hands on" "first hand experience" of someone who actually knows...

JJ .....Rumours....... and what is said in some of the.. Daily Papers ....MUST BE CORRECT....even though it is from a friend of a Friend of a friend of a cousin brother sister's husband next door neighbour....it's got to be correct...Don't worry JJ just listen to the rumours:Doh::winky::winky:

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Albeit this thread is most useful is it now becoming a thread to see who can shout the loudest:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Perhaps you've had no problems because you are filling up using an external filler - it might be a different matter if you got the bottle out to fill up.

Nigel and Pamala

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Perhaps you've had no problems because you are filling up using an external filler - it might be a different matter if you got the bottle out to fill up.

Nigel and Pamala

I am now hoping to just open my locker door with attachment on........that's if i ever get there........:roflmto:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Well Just a thought, Some of you may be interested in this information
Refillable gas in France.
I have Alugas 2 X 11kg bottles......................fitted by diamond Dave Newell ( first class Job Dave..thank you):thumb:

We have the Alde wet heating in our Motorhome so when we are not on electric it is quite thirsty on the old gas plus a large fridge and freezer....we can go through 1 X 11KG Bottle in 7 days easy using it sparsely (hot water in the morning every other day for around 1.5 hours.....and heating on in the evening when needed for around 1.5 hours.......so we have filled up this trip many times....if you look at the regions we have been in....NOT ONCE have we been refused or had any trouble re-filling the bottles ..we do have a exterior filler point.....now our van is 7.4 meters long so many of the filling stations can be a bit tight so we do stop in flowing traffic onto the pumps sometimes so we are not inconspicuous and Rapido in France does have a cult following....where ever we go French people are looking through your windows wanting to talk Rapidos wanting to look inside and it seems a van many of the French want...so in a fuel station you can not sneak in and out

All has been fine.:thumb:

Mel

Just a up-date...Joking apart
I do take SAFETY first serious... so before we enter any petrol station we switch all gas appliances off, fridge and freezer off, all valves shut....even though the van has a lot of safety features built in......:thumb:

Mel

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Nigel and Pamala

YOU MAY BE CORRECT....I can not answer that question:thumb:

Mel

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
As i have just moved my galow filler from gas locker to just outside the locker i was very pleased to read your thread as that was the main reason for having it moved.As we have a similar m/h as yours i will feel more at ease when filling up.:thumb:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I have never had any problems filling up with gas at any filling sattion in France, and I have used them all over the country ::bigsmile:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

Hmmmmmm.

No dilema at all JJ. I am the one person who runs his mh on lpg and was approached by a young French attendant at a petrol station in Britaany asking if I was filling up my fuel tank?
After a lot of "je ne compron pas" he looked at the amount of fuel I was putting in and when I said "motor avec gpl" he seemed satisfied and went back to his cubicle.
Why this happened is a mystery to me but as I got my tank filled I was happy and the exercise in being understood with my rudimentary French and his rudimentary English was all part of the enjoyment of a French holiday.

If a Francophile or an Anglophile (should such people exist) could explain what the concern was I would be interested, but please don't lose any sleep over it.

Norman

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
As i have just moved my galow filler from gas locker to just outside the locker i was very pleased to read your thread as that was the main reason for having it moved.As we have a similar m/h as yours i will feel more at ease when filling up.:thumb:

Great :thumb: every time we have re-filled, north, south, east, or mid France...not a scour or a funny look ......:Smile:

Mel

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
refill gas

We have lived in France for 7 years and never have any problem refilling our cylinder but it is also externally filled. In fact when we first came the lady came over to offer the correct connnector as she had them all !

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We have lived in France for 7 years and never have any problem refilling our cylinder but it is also externally filled. In fact when we first came the lady came over to offer the correct connnector as she had them all !

When we first went to France we assumed we would be able to borrow an adapter at every filling station. Sadly during the two weeks we only found one that had one. The reason why they were in such short supply!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Customers ran off with them rather than pay 10 euros for a new one.

Sad eh?

Have bought our own now - no problem.

Norman

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
When we first went to France we assumed we would be able to borrow an adapter at every filling station. Sadly during the two weeks we only found one that had one. The reason why they were in such short supply!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Customers ran off with them rather than pay 10 euros for a new one.

Sad eh?

Have bought our own now - no problem.

Norman

Sorted Norm:thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I am now hoping to just open my locker door with attachment on........that's if i ever get there........:roflmto:

Hi John,
I do not think that anyone else has mentioned this. You seem to indicate that you have to open the locker door? This should not be the case as you should have fitted the filler to the outside of the van, on the side and not on the door. The flexing of the pipe if you have it fitted to the door is bad. Having to have the door open is not good either and you will have turned the bottle off prior to travelling to the fuel station. It is an external filler and that is where it is meant to be :Smile: Jane

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back