Ducato engine/gearbox given up in France. (1 Viewer)

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like an outlet from the crankcase water jacket
It looks blanked off already, maybe just an updated block that covers more versions.
I would expect the dealer to talk yo Fiat before panicing
Certainly not helping your stress levels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

duc461

Free Member
May 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Looks like an outlet from the crankcase water jacket

Yes it is.
It's either inlet or outlet, not sure which, for the Euro6B's low pressure EGR cooler (marked X in this picture).

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 100

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
UPDATE.
Mechanic back at work today, opens box containing new engine, all ready to fit it.
Wrong f in engine🤬
Apparently its not their fault, Fiat Italy sent the wrong one. Grrrr.
Had exactly the same thing on mine only had to wait for Fiat to return from holiday

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My thinking is why not blank off the hole and get on with it.
Yes. no it is known it is for something you don't have thanks to the poster below. I'dsuggest it to the garage..
Yes it is.
It's either inlet or outlet, not sure which, for the Euro6B's low pressure EGR cooler (marked X in this picture).
welcome

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
In post #299 the OP asked us for our opinion.

We gave it to him.
And that is my opinion. You can’t tell if it is the correct block from a single pic, and it isn’t going to make any difference to the garage/person installing it.

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
And that is my opinion. You can’t tell if it is the correct block from a single pic, and it isn’t going to make any difference to the garage/person installing it.
It is the wrong block. Confirmed by the mechanic.
The OP wanted to know if this can be overcome.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Well NASA will know where to come if the Space Shuttle needs repairing... 🙄

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
It is the wrong block. Confirmed by the mechanic.
The OP wanted to know if this can be overcome.
Yes, I know that. Am I’m saying you can’t tell from one picture of a new engine and an old picture, and you certainly can’t take the option from a few people on a forum some of which will have never built an engine, but will certainly want warranty provided with it.

So again. My opinion is that the person installing it, the garage who will be providing the warranty, and the supplier must be happy with it being the correct engine. Not

theGman

Free Member
Apr 26, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 684
Just coming to this post today. I had a 2.3 engine fail on me last Augustwhile touring England. The van was a 2018 bolero, 24k on the clock. I got an insufficient oil pressure warning then really scary noise. Engine was totally seized. After getting recovered to our local Fiat garage in Scotland I had to go abroad for work. Fiat garage was a nightmare to deal with, they were dealing with my wife over the phone. All they would tell her was it was 'oil starvation' I kept asking how the arrived at this then I asked for engineers report, I didn't get one , I said I'd provide an independent engineer to assess the damage. Their reply was they would not accept 3rd party report as proof. I am a mechanic working offshore in oil exploration and 22 years aircraft engineering experience before that so I asked for a report in technical terms, I never got it. After a huge drawn out process we got our van back in January. with a huge bill. When I was talking to the technician that done all the work he gave me copies of pictures he took, he said he never decided what the fault was all he did was take the pictures and videos and send them to FIAT Italy. Bottom line is #4 injector was found blown and a valve in #4 cylinder snapped. I asked him to explain the pictures and how that pointed to oil starvation. I said to me it looked like the tip of the blown injector entered the cylinder and stopped a valve from fully closing, then the valve was struck repeatedly until it snapped. He said 'well I've never saw that before. Still waiting for explanation from FIAT Italy. Good luck.

Attachments

• #4 injector.JPG
    #4 injector.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 98
  • #4 piston.JPG
    #4 piston.JPG
    613.1 KB · Views: 115
  • çylinder head.JPG
    çylinder head.JPG
    536.6 KB · Views: 107
  • #4 cylinder.JPG
    #4 cylinder.JPG
    495.3 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
UPDATE
French garage emailed yesterday to say Fiat Italy have told them its ok to use the engine and just to blank off the EGR hole as suggested by several Funsters.

Anyway blanking plate due Friday (I'm sure I could have knocked one up out of 3 mm plate in my shed) so, 🤞we should be back on the road next week.

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
UPDATE
French garage emailed yesterday to say Fiat Italy have told them its ok to use the engine and just to blank off the EGR hole as suggested by several Funsters.

Anyway blanking plate due Friday (I'm sure I could have knocked one up out of 3 mm plate in my shed) so, 🤞we should be back on the road next week.
Excellent news. Well done 👍

So much for funsters speculation eh. 😊

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
UPDATE

It’ll be done before this heap of scrap at this rate, engine just gone in tho👍
Great news for you though👍👍
2161FE3E-0A4E-4D99-8CE4-13B3777BEBE1.jpeg
AD72B349-7C9B-4023-9693-AD46D9034DE1.jpeg

OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
UPDATE
Our van is now back on the road and heading for Dieppe as I type.
A total of just over €12000 and just tover a month from breaking down to getting it fixed.
Not the best way to spend our time in France but it hasn't put us off, we're planning another trip in the Autum.
Thankyou to all the funsters who have contributed to this thread and all the help and advice and hugs and kisses offered.

Jim (transport, logistics and maintainence)
and
Andrea (navigation, catering and soft furnishings)

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
That’s good news, hope the new engine performs well and glad to here you haven’t been put off

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
UPDATE
A total of just over €12000 and just tover a month from breaking down to getting it fixed.
Not the best way to spend our time in France but it hasn't put us off, we're planning another trip in the Autum.
Thankyou to all the funsters who have contributed to this thread and all the help and advice and hugs and kisses offered.

and
When did you get it running? the big heap of CAT scrap above got running again at 2.10 yesterday afternoon😁😁

Deleted User
UPDATE

and
New cambelt...? Just asking 😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back