Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Has anyone converted there diesel motorhome to run on LPG? Can a Diesel be Converted and how much does it cost?

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Its a bit quiet here today but someone will be along to help you soon.:thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

As far as i know Diesels cannot be converted to run on pure lpg as Petrol engines can.

There are people working on an LPG mix to run in diesel engines.

As I understand it, LPG will not ignite at the cylinder compressions reached in a conventional diesel engine and need another form of ignition.i.e. spark assistance.

Interesting thought and well worth further investigation.

I Take that back.Just found this.

http://www.ilovesponge.com/spongecars/diesel/diesel.htm

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Link Removed[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SpongeCars have been working with engineers in the UK and abroad to achieve the goal of converting diesel engines to run on LPG. The system has been developed over the past 5 years, taking into account all variations of the diesel engine. After extensive development work, our goal has been realised, and we can now offer direct injection diesel LPG conversions.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Direct injection engines are used in the Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter, Renault Traffic, most 7.5 ton vehicles and similar. Installers can also convert the Land Rover Discovery.

Initial tests we have found that the diesel LPG conversions not only results in fuel savings of up to 30%, but also improve performance and reduces emissions.

All diesel LPG conversions are carried out by Avon Autogas in Bristol.

And this.

[/FONT]http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/diesel.html

And This.

http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/lpgsys.html#lpg

Diesel LPG Conversions
Diesel engines can be converted to run partly on LPG, partly on diesel. This method uses the combustion of the diesel to ignite the LPG. The benefits include large increases in power and reduction in emissions, particularly the black smoke often associated with diesels.
Typically a ratio of 30% LPG to 70% diesel is possible. No adjustments are required to the diesel injection system and fuel savings come from the fact that throttle openings are lower due to the greatly increased power, which basically means you do not have to press the accelerator as hard to get the same performance.
Fuel savings upwards of 30% are possible with the increased power levels seen as a major benefit to users.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi been looked into before, basically LPG is injected in through the inlet manifold and enriches the mixture, as you will use less diesel you save money, but you have to pay for the conversion and LPG.

With LPG on a petrol engine you run on just LPG, on a Diesel you will still be using diesel so to my mind savings aren't going to be great. Maybe if you are a lorry doing 100,000 a year it would be worth it, but an RVer doing 10,000??

Olley

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
I believe a number of Diesel engines have been converted to run on Liquid Natural Gas quite successfully. This was being done by Foden Trucks and Hardstaff Commercials. From comments made by Drivers they are most successful on long Motorway journeys, rather than stop start work.

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi David I think you will find its vapour not liquid LNG, compressed to about 3000psi.

Methane which is what natural gas is, doesn't liquefy above minus 161C at atmospheric pressure, so very difficult to use in this state.

Olley

Last edited:

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
I believe a number of Diesel engines have been converted to run on Liquid Natural Gas quite successfully. This was being done by Foden Trucks and Hardstaff Commercials. From comments made by Drivers they are most successful on long Motorway journeys, rather than stop start work.

David

I've worked in Diesel engine manufacture mainly marine / railway / power generation for 30+ years and it's quite common for engines to manufactured as dual fuel engine running on either diesel or gas. The only design change is to the cylinder head to accomodate a spark plug. As yet I've not seen anything for the newer common rail type configuration, but I suppose it's only a matter of time.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just done a quick calculation on ecomix's website and i would save around £96 per year with a purchase and fitting cost of, i would think, around £3000 based on a car at £2000 and an hgv at £6000.

based on an average annual milage of 3000mls it would take around 30 years to recoup my money. :Eeek:

on top of this there is the cost of LPG which they appear to have forgotten to add to the calculation.

HGV and heavy milage.... yes

motorhome and light milage ....definate no-no.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
On sites promoting these types of conversions phrases such as "30% savings in cost plus 30% extra power", "no problems with reliability", "fully checked for safety" abound.

I would like to know where these claims have been independently verified.

Remember they are trying to sell you something and cannot be counted as unbiased.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back