Macerator.. near mess, be aware.. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yesterday I decided to empty the black tank, as a precaution I always check the pump runs before opening the waste valve, it ran ok for a few seconds then promptly blew a fuse.. :cry:

When I removed the pump body I found the shaft was bound up with HAIR ..:Doh:

So be aware, don't commit to dumping until you've tested the pump.. !!

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
I did wonder what had happened to your pony tail mate :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
i always empty some grey first, just to test the whole system. especially important with a long exhaust hose, as if a joint separates, you know what would happen. on one occasion, i had difficulty when opening the black tank gate valve, but was able to complete the emptying by switching back and forth between the two tanks. narrow escape!

des

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Have all the American RV owners here on MHF bought and use macerators, only Camping World in the USA have the Flojet on offer at $235........

A UK company that sells American RV products is advertising the Flojet at £280....do I buy one whilst in the States?

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Oh yes they are brilliant:thumb:

Just most of use have managed to have problems (is it a Brit thing?:roflmto:) most self inflicted.

A must have here in the UK:winky:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Have all the American RV owners here on MHF bought and use macerators, only Camping World in the USA have the Flojet on offer at $235........

A UK company that sells American RV products is advertising the Flojet at £280....do I buy one whilst in the States?

Hi Mick.. yes, a worth while purchase, also buy a waste hog, Tote n Stor are the best and not easy to get in the UK.. you probably don't need these so much in the States where they are geared up to RV life but in Europe you need to have as many ways of dumping as possible. :winky:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User

£280?????????? Crikey I need to put my prices up! :ROFLMAO:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
£280?????????? Crikey I need to put my prices up! :ROFLMAO:

You had better hang on to your hat because on ebay.com they are selling at Buy It NOW price with FREE P&P (USA only) at $205 :thumb: (£102.50p)

Link Removed

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You had better hang on to your hat because on ebay.com they are selling at Buy It NOW price with FREE P&P (USA only) at $205 :thumb: (£102.50p)

Link Removed

Yeah,

And Unfortunately, like many US sellers, They will not ship to the UK.:Sad:

I have tried Soooo Hard many times to get parts shipped for my Classic Dodge.

Some kind people go out of their way over there to help.

Others just say NO and will not consider it or insist on using UPS only at one hell of a cost to the buyer.

Add import duty and VAT and, what started out as a bargain, Becomes serious money.

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Yeah,

Others just say NO and will not consider it or insist on using UPS only at one hell of a cost to the buyer.

Add import duty and VAT and, what started out as a bargain, Becomes serious money.

I got mine from a very very nice lady called Linda (Stateside Tuning) at what I consider to be a very fair price ad totally worry free:winky::thumb:::bigsmile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi have to agree its a must have, along with at least 75' of good quality layflat, been on several sites here and abroad where it was the only way to empty.

Olley

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
also buy a waste hog, Tote n Stor are the best and not easy to get in the UK..

Jim,

What size do you have and found it best to use?

Here in the US the Tote-N-Stor containers come in the following sizes:

11,15,25,32. I presume ALL are US Gallons.

In my caravanning days I used a 38 liter Waste Master to collect and dump our grey water, now according to my calculations 38ltrs = 10 US gallons.

Now 38 liters was quite a weight to lift in order to dump which I had to do at more than one location, on sites the grey & toilet were dumped into the same receptacle namely a normal ceramic toilet.

So how do you empty your Tote-N-Stor in the UK & Europe?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Mick

I bought the 25 gal. (94.6 liter by my calculations = 94.6 kg ) and your right, it's very heavy when full, no way would you lift it but it's manageable to wheel to a ground level dump point.. and it has a tow hook for pulling with a toad..
If there is no ground level dump point then the macerator is deployed .. :winky:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
i carry my wastemaster for emergencies (so far unused) and use my aqua roll regularly to fill with water via a 12 volt submersible pump.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Yeah,

That depends on who you use to ship your stuff :winky:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Is there not a firm call Stateside Tuning that are very reliable and fairly priced?

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Seems to me it would save a lot of hassle for UK based RVs if somebody designed a way of diverting your business somewhere between the Can and the tank (if required due to circumstances) into a normal style Thetford tank. Surely one of these would be easy to install as a back up for times when you want to camp on a site with no RV dump facilities. ::bigsmile:
Just an idle thought.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Seems to me it would save a lot of hassle for UK based RVs if somebody designed a way of diverting your business somewhere between the Can and the tank (if required due to circumstances) into a normal style Thetford tank. Surely one of these would be easy to install as a back up for times when you want to camp on a site with no RV dump facilities. ::bigsmile:
Just an idle thought.

I personally found the Thetford cassette based units a "pleasure" to use.:ROFLMAO:Link Removed

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Yes they are steve. I empty ours in the Bessacarr every two or three days. Its no hassle, takes only a few minutes.If the toilet block is the other end of the site I just get the wheels out that I carry and drag it up there. We have a SOG fitted now that saves us buying chemicals. Cant understand really why the yanks dont use a similar system. Ive heard some horrible stories about black tank emptying and macerators :ROFLMAO: It would be the one part of travelling with an RV that would put me off. I get enough troubles with our Newmars toilet emptying where we are on a permanent site and have fixed plumbing direct to the mains. Sometimes it emptys properly sometimes it doesnt it does my head in :Angry: Because we are on site fulltime for the forseeable future Im seriously thinking about putting a normal flushing toilet in and doing away with the RV system

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Having caravaned for year and used thetford system think the RV black tanks a god send 99% of the time.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just an idle thought.

Hi tony, but it isn't a lot of hassel, I dump the tank once every 5-7 days, with a thetford it was every 3. and then I still needed some way of emptying the grey tank.

Olley

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Mick,

Don't pay that price from CW, they will have a sale and it will drop a fair bit.

I would be wary of buying from the ebay people UNLESS you email them first and can be sure the Macerator has the "O Ring" with it.

If you don't buy your hose until you get back, I can recommend Blagdon Water Gardens.

I ordered 30m Roll (Standard) Black Hose 1 1/4 inch for £39.99 with free next day delivery.

DONT get the Heavy Duty as it is far too thick and wont store as easy.

Link Removed

Each has a smooth interior, the one you want is the top one in the picture (std).

Paul

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Paul that ribbed pipe and emptying poo YUK:Eeek:

The ribs tend to hold onto things and used a lot for sink and plumbing in caravan and universally hated.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Paul,

I have already ordered one off ebay in a 'Buy it Now' sale at $205 P&P free.:Doh:

The Flojet is brand new being sold by an RV dealer and surely MUST come supplied with an O ring otherwise the item is totally useless and would allow it to be sent back.

After all just how many cents does an O ring cost?

Thanks for the warning though and that information on the hose, shall acquire that on our return.

Good Luck with the Show.:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
If it's the boxed flojet it has the lot.

Only extra I bought was a 90 degree bend to angle my macerator in a better position.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back