Sep 24, 2011
Herault France
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,

We have a 1987 Renault Master camper van. The steering wheel is old and 'sticky'. I have been looking, here in France, for a cover for the 42cm. wheel but the largest covers they seem to sell here are 38cm. for standard cars.
Does anyone know of a supplier in the UK I could order one from?

Alternatively I was wondering about buying a new, smaller wheel which would have an integral cover. As the camper van does not have power steering, I am not sure if the handling would be affected by the smaller wheel when making sharp turns.

Any comments, suggestions would be gratefully received.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Broken Link Removed

Hi. Found this on Ebay - £8.49 free postage. Free postage for UK obviously.
Fits large van & truck wheels, 42cms.

:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Pic doesn't seem to have loaded :Angry:...

It's item number 2306 2961 7852. Black.

If you fit a smaller wheel it'll alter the gearing making the steering heavier.

:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beckysharpe

beckysharpe

Free Member
Sep 24, 2011
Herault France
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Stcyr,

Thanks we'll look up the item on e-bay.

My husband seemed to remember putting a small sporty wheel on his minivan in his student days and it did cause problems so we wont go down that route.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hi Stcyr,

Thanks we'll look up the item on e-bay.

My husband seemed to remember putting a small sporty wheel on his minivan in his student days and it did cause problems so we wont go down that route.

Yup indeed - we had (or I should say husband Mk 1 had!) a woodrim on a Capri (the Consul Capri, not the later effort) and it took a lot of work - took months to get a steering wheel boss to fit the thing in the first place.

There's also the tape you use to re-wrap eg tennis racquet handles - much the same stuff as the bike handlebar tape I imagine?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
silly suggestion time :roflmto:

wipe the wheel with baby wipes that tends to get sticky off them you may find it changes colour too.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi,

We have a 1987 Renault Master camper van. The steering wheel is old and 'sticky'. I have been looking, here in France, for a cover for the 42cm. wheel but the largest covers they seem to sell here are 38cm. for standard cars.
Does anyone know of a supplier in the UK I could order one from?

Alternatively I was wondering about buying a new, smaller wheel which would have an integral cover. As the camper van does not have power steering, I am not sure if the handling would be affected by the smaller wheel when making sharp turns.

Any comments, suggestions would be gratefully received.
do a search at www.247.com you may get a full wheel for a few pounds

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beckysharpe

beckysharpe

Free Member
Sep 24, 2011
Herault France
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks all for your advice. I did try every cleaner imaginable, but I think the coating on the wheel has actually degraded due to age/standing in hot sun etc. Ordered a cover from a U.K. company called 'Rockshore' as the ones on ebay were a tad on the small side....this one is 'truck' size so should fit. 'Rita' is a big girl!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beckysharpe

beckysharpe

Free Member
Sep 24, 2011
Herault France
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just to update, the steering wheel cover arrived and although the postage cost more than the actual cover, we are very pleased with the quality and speedy service. Fits like a glove!

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Thanks all for your advice. I did try every cleaner imaginable, but I think the coating on the wheel has actually degraded due to age/standing in hot sun etc. Ordered a cover from a U.K. company called 'Rockshore' as the ones on ebay were a tad on the small side....this one is 'truck' size so should fit. 'Rita' is a big girl!

Broken Link Removed

Look a handy site, nice find Becky:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back