Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Those of you who are familiar with, and who may have used, the excellent stopovers available through the France Passion scheme, my be interested to read/learn about a similar, and associated, scheme operating in the north of Spain (only) at present. The scheme is called España Discovery and operates on the same basis as FP in similar locations, vineyards, bodegas, farms etc., and of course no charge is made by the participating members although like FP you need to buy the annual guide... currently €20 per year. The year runs April to April each year, so perhaps a little late to subscribe for this year...but next year ? We have visited a few of these locations and have been fortunate, so far, in our selections. Inevitably, although no charge is made we have ended up buying wines, cheeses, eggs and some craft work.....at very reasonable prices.

Check out the link below.

Link Removed

Regards, Bryan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Inevitably, although no charge is made we have ended up buying wines, cheeses, eggs and some craft work.....at very reasonable prices.
Regards, Bryan

I must say that does not appeal much to me, I'd rather pay a few pounds, know where I stand and have me in control rather than feel under an obligation.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Not for everybody

I must say that does not appeal much to me, I'd rather pay a few pounds, know where I stand and have me in control rather than feel under an obligation.

You are always "in control" at such locations, and there is no obligation to buy, but of course the participants hope you will. I merely point out that on many occasions the outstanding quality of products is a great temption to which we have succumbed many times. Buying direct is often better than supermarket chains and truly leaves money in the local community.
France Passion and Discovery are not for everybody and the less adventurous may feel more comfortable in traditional environments.

Regards, Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I feel as Brian does.. these stops are fine if you are in need of supplies.. I appreciate there is no obligation to buy .. but if you don't that would be abusing the hosts hospitality so most folks will feel obliged.

Same with UK Pub Stops, for the price of a couple of drinks you could stay in a proper site with all amenities... so only a benefit if you were planning to go in the first place..

Free or cheap Aires are my choice when touring Europe and CLs in the UK

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
You are always "in control" at such locations, and there is no obligation to buy, but of course the participants hope you will. I merely point out that on many occasions the outstanding quality of products is a great temption to which we have succumbed many times. Buying direct is often better than supermarket chains and truly leaves money in the local community.
France Passion and Discovery are not for everybody and the less adventurous may feel more comfortable in traditional environments.

Regards, Bryan

It's not exactly my idea of adventurous......... :Eeek:

but each to their own, and I too would feel rather "obligated" in those circumstances...

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
It's not exactly my idea of adventurous......... :Eeek:

but each to their own, and I too would feel rather "obligated" in those circumstances...

"Adventurous" was perhaps the wrong choice of words.
My point was that there is a sameness, a predictability about traditional camp sites offering basically the same unvarying services/beaches/pools/bars etc. There is of course nothing wrong with that type of facility, and we certainly use our fair share of them. However, surely one of the reasons for owning an MH is the flexibility it affords to explore all options.
Using FP and ED we have stayed at a lakeside pig farm, smelly but with great fishing and even greater views and amazing products, a chateau in the Loire, romantic and great wines, an ostrich farm, different with great meat !! All of these places visited at minimal cost and any purchases made were our choice.

Regards, bryan

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
"Adventurous" was perhaps the wrong choice of words.
My point was that there is a sameness, a predictability about traditional camp sites offering basically the same unvarying services/beaches/pools/bars etc. There is of course nothing wrong with that type of facility, and we certainly use our fair share of them. However, surely one of the reasons for owning an MH is the flexibility it affords to explore all options.
Using FP and ED we have stayed at a lakeside pig farm, smelly but with great fishing and even greater views and amazing products, a chateau in the Loire, romantic and great wines, an ostrich farm, different with great meat !! All of these places visited at minimal cost and any purchases made were our choice.

Regards, bryan

Hi Bryan

We have a 34' American RV do you think FP or ED would have places suitable for us or are they all for small m/h??

We like out of the way places so they sound like the sort of thing we would use if suitable for us

Regards Brian and Chris

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Bryan

We have a 34' American RV do you think FP or ED would have places suitable for us or are they all for small m/h??

We like out of the way places so they sound like the sort of thing we would use if suitable for us

Regards Brian and Chris

None of the places we have used are "marked" in bays with parking areas being in courtyards, fields, orchards etc...all very informal, so no question of having to squeeze onto a pitch. You must understand that these places are not formalised camping areas but the participants home and/or business place. The books you receive, having subscribed, carry brief details of each location including phone numbers etc., so always best to phone ahead for information. Remember also to have an optional backup in case first choice not suitable. Some sites have, or allow use of, adjacent toilets/EHU/showers etc., but DO NOT count on it....best to bank on being self sufficient during your stay which generally is time limited, to 1/2 days at most.

Regards, Bryan

Last edited:
OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
BritStops

Just a Thought.
Before deciding if this type of scheme is suitable for you when go abroad you could always try the UK version called BritStops, who have posted on this thread so click on their avatar for contact details, or click on this prior thread for more comments.

Broken Link Removed

Regards, Bryan

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Good information, Bryan.

I know also France Passion signals in the guide which host sites will welcome larger motorhomes, which they designate as being over 3.5 tonnes. As there are over 1600 sites, though, I'm afraid I don't know how many actually do.

The same information isn't in Espana Discovery or Fattore Amico, and I'm afraid I don't know about Swiss Terroir, Gruene Zwiebel or Ars Vivendi. Brit Stops shows which host sites will welcome motorhomes over 30ft long (around 100 do).

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back