LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I am thinking of hinting for a Kindle for Christmas:RollEyes: However I don't really know how they work:Doh:.

Once downloaded, are the books stored on the devices memory, or do you have to have wi fi or 3G connection?

Also, should I go for the standard Kindle or the 3G model. Hope some of you computer buffs can advise.

Cheers John

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I love my Kindle. It's so simple to use, can change the size of the text, download loads of free books., fits in my handbag. I've got the 3G version so it downloads books when you're sat in bed, out and about, whenever.
I had a terrible concentration problem and the Kindle got me reading again. I was talking to someone from my widows group and she said the same thing--the simplicity and small page size of the Kindle seemed to help the concentration problem.

They couldn't be simpler to use. Can only speak for the 3G but click on "sample" or buy book on Amazon and it appears in the Kindle in seconds. Keep it there or delete it in 2 clicks. Also because it isn't backlit (like a PC) it's easy on your eyesight.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Have a look here at the Kindle Users Forum, should answer most of your questions, but in short...go for 3G version you won't regret it, very useful piece of kit.

http://www.kuforum.co.uk/

Regards, Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you can store approx 2000 books on the kindle's memory. I keep asking santa for one but I'm deaf and don't hear the request.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I love my Kindle. It's so simple to use, can change the size of the text, download loads of free books., [HI]fits in my handbag[/HI]. I've got the 3G version so it downloads books when you're sat in bed, out and about, whenever.
I had a terrible concentration problem and the Kindle got me reading again. I was talking to someone from my widows group and she said the same thing--the simplicity and small page size of the Kindle seemed to help the concentration problem.

They couldn't be simpler to use. Can only speak for the 3G but click on "sample" or buy book on Amazon and it appears in the Kindle in seconds. Keep it there or delete it in 2 clicks. Also because it isn't backlit (like a PC) it's easy on your eyesight.

I think you'll have to ask Santa for a handbag too Roger, of course I am assuming you don't have one?:RollEyes:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
not to worry I have a wide choice to suit all occasions:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
i have tescos, asda, morrisons and even a rare WALMART from the USA, hee hee

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have a 3G Kindle. It brings me great joy to receive my Independent paper in bed everyday day no matter where I am (as long as there is a mobile phone signal of course) but, if the truth be known, I mostly use the wi-fi function and would not find it difficult to live without the 3G feature.

I don't know what the difference in cost is these days but if you are normally at home and you have your own wi-fi there then the 3G is a bit surplus to requirements...

As for using it for emails etc ... I can't with mine 'cos I think it is registered in the USA somehow so doesn't work in Europe for web browsing.

The once I used it in the UK it was very, very slow and tricky but useable just.

For emails and quick short browses of the web I use my smart phone...

JJ

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I have a 3G Kindle. It brings me great joy to receive my Independent paper in bed everyday day no matter where I am (as long as there is a mobile phone signal of course) but, if the truth be known, I mostly use the wi-fi function and would not find it difficult to live without the 3G feature.

I don't know what the difference in cost is these days but if you are normally at home and you have your own wi-fi there then the 3G is a bit surplus to requirements...

As for using it for emails etc ... I can't with mine 'cos I think it is registered in the USA somehow so doesn't work in Europe for web browsing.

The once I used it in the UK it was very, very slow and tricky but useable just.

For emails and quick short browses of the web I use my smart phone...

JJ

Thanks JJ, Price is about £85 for normal and £140 for 3G, I don't know how often I would use 3G as I would probably download books prior to going away, and I have a Net book and a smart phone if I need to browse the web. Decisions, decisions !

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
You can't have a singular handbag--that's cruel, everyone knows they are happier in a pack, or even a herd.

You and my dear better half would get on great . Im convinced she can smell handbag shops , as without fail she will find them no problem , on a first visit to any town , during our MH travels.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Neither I nor Mrs. JayDee has the 3G kindle. I have downloaded on mine all sorts of stuff (Candide, a bit of Plato, Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom Omnibus, lots of classic SciFi and Fantasy, Sherlock Holmes...:RollEyes:). Got enough to keep me going for months. When I've read it all I'll change it for other stuff. So far all I've downloaded are free from Amazon, Gutenberg Project, Obooko and such like :Cool:. My view is that as I don't subscribe to newspapers or magazines I don't need the 3G facility. I get the news on line on the computer.

But that's just me. If you want your daily newspaper, or whatever, then the 3G is probably a must.

John

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would pay the extra for the 3G. It's great being abroad and buying (free) books. the 3G is FOC to use:thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Yes its free and I would not go overseas without it, it can be a bit slow but I have to remind myself that its free and any use of smart phone the cost would go through the roof.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
At last !.......

I love my Kindle. It's so simple to use, can change the size of the text, download loads of free books., fits in my handbag. I've got the 3G version so it downloads books when you're sat in bed, out and about, whenever.

I have a Kindle, it is a mystery to me (I have problems setting an alarm !) I will rack your brains when I get to your place, driving a Kindle lesson coming up !:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
When you say the "normal" one do you mean the Kindle light ? This is the one I was thinking of buying. I don't go abroad any more so don't think I need the 3g. Anyone got the "light" ?

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
When you say the "normal" one do you mean the Kindle light ? This is the one I was thinking of buying. I don't go abroad any more so don't think I need the 3g. Anyone got the "light" ?

The £89 one is the wi-fi 6" version.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I have had mine since June, and love it, mine is the 3G and think it is worth the difference, once you have bought it there is no more extra charges, and you can download books (even free ones from amazon) any time you want.
I always get a free sample see if I like the story then check the reviews and then buy it if I choose. As on a earlier thread just out of curiosity I put a post on here from my kindle just to prove I could, so lots of entertainment for a one off payment (plus your books of course) and I think you can download more than 2,000 if you choose.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I have had mine since June, and love it, mine is the 3G and think it is worth the difference, once you have bought it there is no more extra charges, and you can download books (even free ones from amazon) any time you want.
I always get a free sample see if I like the story then check the reviews and then buy it if I choose. As on a earlier thread just out of curiosity I put a post on here from my kindle just to prove I could, so lots of entertainment for a one off payment (plus your books of course) and I think you can download more than 2,000 if you choose.

So can you send and receive emails on it?

John

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have not, but no reason why you can't, just helps to have fiddly little fingers to use the key pad, but I have always picked up a 3G signal with mine I think a few uses the wfi abroad for free with it.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I have a small problem with Sandy's kindle. We have no problem buying books from Amazon and they automatically go through. However, I can't seem to transfer books from Obooko, through Calibre, onto the kindle. It is the earlier version kindle and not the 3G. Also, we have lots of books sitting on desktop but can't seem to sent them through to the kindle. Any clues? ::bigsmile:

Ivy

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
I have a small problem with Sandy's kindle. We have no problem buying books from Amazon and they automatically go through. However, I can't seem to transfer books from Obooko, through Calibre, onto the kindle. It is the earlier version kindle and not the 3G. Also, we have lots of books sitting on desktop but can't seem to sent them through to the kindle. Any clues? ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Tried connecting your Kindle to PC/Laptop USB and then dragging and dropping them into Kindle?

Have a look at the links...maybe find some answers

http://www.kuforum.co.uk/

Broken Link Removed

regards, Bryan

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have bumped this back up because it is a brilliant link (the forum one) been on it information and free books galore, well worth the link [bryandh] has put give it a try, I can see me and another forum us ers wife has already ::bigsmile:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.

Ivy

I am presuming your Kindle has WiFi?:Smile:
And that you have assigned an e-mail address to it? (See instructions in the Kindle or in Amazon)
If you write an email to you Kindle address, attach the file of the book you want to send over and, if it is .doc format, or .mobi or .pdf then put "Convert" in the subject bar you should be able to send it straight to your Kindle (as long as the Kindle WiFi is ON (under menu).

If you already knew all that my apologies. The only time I have not been able to send to mine is if I have tried to send a file of an un-recognised format (e.g. .lit or .epub). In those cases I have used a bit of conversion software called (I think) AVS Document Converter which seems to work OK.

Hope this helps.::bigsmile:

John

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I haven't been following this thread but I have owned a Kindle for some time . Why not connect the Kindle to your computer using a USB cable and access the drive directly, I use mine this way so it becomes a portable data store as well. Most of my books have been transferred this way, I do buy from Amazon but download many more from other sites and Kindle users.

Rgds
Bill

Mad Mel

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
Sheppey, Kent
Funster No
MH
c class yank
Exp
15 years
Re Kindle

Hello,
in my opinion, a Kindle is one of the best pieces of equipment to pack in your MH. Also, once you set up your Kindle account with Amazon, you can use the same account to download, and synchronise onto your Android phone, tablet and even your laptop.

Make sure you go for the 3G version too. You won't regret it. :Cool:

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Kindle

Definitely buy the 3G version.

The reason is that kindle have a unique wispernet feature. This means that in most countries in the world you have a free internet connection which you can use for surfing the net (checking emails etc). My wife was downloading new books and cecking emails in the Egytian desert earlier this year.

As for books - they are stored on BOTH the local machine and online - when you buy a book it belongs to you. If you filled your kindle with books, something must give, so you delete a book. It is still in your online library for re-reading later if you want.

I hope this all makes sense.

Richard

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back