Position of Fiat Ducato battery (1 Viewer)

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I gather the battery is under the drivers seat .....and that you have to remove the drivers seat to get at it . I started to look for it under the bonnet..silly me.

Just getting to understand my vehicle in greater detail...but that must be a pain for jumpstarting etc.

Any useful tips for getting access ?

barry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Fiat ducato batteries are normally under the bonnet at least in all the ones I have had. Top left as you look under the bonnet.

Unless you mean the habitation battery?:Blush:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
They are a pain to get to, and even more of a pain to replace as it is tight under there. For jump starting, just be careful and hook it on as secure as you can.

If you ever need to replace the battery, then do remove the power steering res before you attempt to pull it out as it will make you life alot easier!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Fiat ducato batteries are normally under the bonnet at least in all the ones I have had. Top left as you look under the bonnet.

Unless you mean the habitation battery?:Blush:

No habitation is in a locker round the side

No sign of the battery under the bonnet...........2009 autotrail

barry

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
In my X250 Ducato based Bessacarr, the vehicle battery is under the floor in front of the passenger seat.
The habitation battery is under the floor below the nearside sideways facing seat in the living area.:Smile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I gather the battery is under the drivers seat .....and that you have to remove the drivers seat to get at it . I started to look for it under the bonnet..silly me.

Just getting to understand my vehicle in greater detail...but that must be a pain for jumpstarting etc.

Any useful tips for getting access ?

barry

For jump starting there should be a remote +ve terminal under the bonnet for just that purpose & the -ve you can connect to any suitable chassis or engine bolt so long as it is well grounded.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
For jump starting there should be a remote +ve terminal under the bonnet for just that purpose & the -ve you can connect to any suitable chassis or engine bolt so long as it is well grounded.

You're never to old to learn:Blush: Thanks for that piece of info:thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
dependent on the model, try between the front seats, towards the rear near where the main cab as supplied from the factory finishes and the home unit starts - in the main cab bit.

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years

Thats sounds good.............can you tell me what Im looking for and what is a Ve terminal ?.............. this would make sense....if only I knew what I was looking for.

barry

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
under the bonnet at the right hand side there is a box with a small flap on the rear of it which has a + in a circle on the top.
when open it looks like a wrigley piece of tin this is the +
just under the bonnet also at the right hand side right at the front there is a brass coloured bolt just sticking up this has an earth symbol on it. and thats the -

hope this helps

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thats sounds good.............can you tell me what Im looking for and what is a Ve terminal ?.............. this would make sense....if only I knew what I was looking for.

barry

Sorry Barry, +ve is the positive connection which is probably near or attached to the fuse box under the bonnet & on mine (2010 Boxer) is a bare threaded bolt within a protected area.
Mine also has manufacturers stickers indicating it,s position and use.
The negative connection from your charger goes on to the chassis anywhere to get a good ground.

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Sorry Barry, +ve is the positive connection which is probably near or attached to the fuse box under the bonnet & on mine (2010 Boxer) is a bare threaded bolt within a protected area.
Mine also has manufacturers stickers indicating it,s position and use.
The negative connection from your charger goes on to the chassis anywhere to get a good ground.

Thanks for all the feedback on this thread....its been really useful.

A couple more questions.......I just looked and found the little box with a +
on the top ........but cant see a specific - connection....yet for the negative

When you say the negative lead goes to the chassis.........is this ok as the chassis is galvanised.......not bare metal.

But this is all good stuff and looks like I may be ok for jumpstarting with my heavy duty leads without lifting the floor up inside the van to expose the battery.

Now for what might be a daft question.....Can I use the same setup for charging the vehicle battery........???? With a battery charger of course.

( thats a theoretical question now as it seems I can direct the onboard charger to either the habitation battery....or the vehicle battery on my control panel.)

barry

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for all the feedback on this thread....its been really useful.

A couple more questions.......I just looked and found the little box with a +
on the top ........but cant see a specific - connection....yet for the negative

When you say the negative lead goes to the chassis.........is this ok as the chassis is galvanised.......not bare metal.

But this is all good stuff and looks like I may be ok for jumpstarting with my heavy duty leads without lifting the floor up inside the van to expose the battery.

Now for what might be a daft question.....Can I use the same setup for charging the vehicle battery........???? With a battery charger of course.

( thats a theoretical question now as it seems I can direct the onboard charger to either the habitation battery....or the vehicle battery on my control panel.)

barry

Hi Barry,
I would not connect negative to any galvanised part of the chasis but to any unpainted or nongalvanised bolt or metal bracket around the engine bay.
I can't get to my van at the moment to give any particular detail but my Volvo car has the same setup as the battery is in the boot area and I connect the negative for jump start or charging to a bracket bolted to the cylinder head which is a lifting point for engine removal.

Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back