What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (2 Viewers)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wildbill . Glad you're back. What happened to the ocean liner you were building?
Any pictures?
Shhhhhh ... that's the secret weapon that he's been using in the Ukraine to destroy their battleships! :giggle:

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Simple job for me, which I thought was going to be trickier, wiring the radio to be live to use all the time, not just with the ignition on ( mine has no acc position) ....the linky loom thing had bullet connections and it was a quick unplug and plug in the double with the spare terminal....sorted ..

Dec 5, 2011
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10 + years
Fitted the airbag ecu when the light came on.Those nice people at crash-data reset it for me.
Oh , and a new starter battery just in case that caused the problem in the first place.
All in all not too dificult to do either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Simple job for me, which I thought was going to be trickier, wiring the radio to be live to use all the time, not just with the ignition on ( mine has no acc position) ....the linky loom thing had bullet connections and it was a quick unplug and plug in the double with the spare terminal....sorted ..
Just keep an eye on your battery voltage, radios can drain them very quickly.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Today was removing the gas fire surround, replaced the igniter battery (which can be done without removal of the cover - see photos) and clean all the dust from the heater fins and fire cover. It was quite dusty, so I must have a word in SWMB’s ear (from a distance in a whisper 🙄).

Its a pre easy task and worth it, just to see the amount of dust that gets built up on the fins, but under no circumstances break into the gas supply, or strip the fire any further, unless you’re qualified to do so.

I’d suggest that you check it works fine before stripping, just so that you don’t think you’ve done sumfing wrong when it goes back together 😑

So far:
Remove from ramps. Done
Fix USB fixing. Done
Sort out untidy wiring in cupboards. Done
Look at extra 240v socket. Fitted
Make up rear bed. Done
Look at fixing rivets to rear locker.
Lube all skylights. Done
Look at Oyster satellite details. Done
Remove and wash all curtains.
Remove and clean gas fire. Done
Lube door step mechanism.
Look at rear bed spot light switch.
Wash and wax.
Wash and wax roof.
Fill hole in roof.

58B03F45-8F96-4A54-8835-16E276A0C784.jpeg

F9F6FBED-08EC-4B61-9EAE-600FD88E2E19.jpeg

7304B19F-FE66-407B-92EB-C3D2C1250B60.jpeg

29004A9D-4D30-4ADA-B015-A7930F52EF9F.jpeg

FEC9439C-4D40-4DA0-BDE6-B95AF6DC7D29.jpeg

ADA43BE1-2F73-4271-A10A-7E6BE9719E96.jpeg

D5E8110A-F784-42FD-8CEC-DF8C1AFB72A7.jpeg

2DD058DC-D209-4EE3-A893-D7C0934AD6C1.jpeg
6EFFF709-3E65-4237-AE51-EB6FE50E1159.jpeg

Justus3

Free Member
Jul 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Vivaro conversion
Removed pre owner fitting domestic white plastic one 13a socket. One it looked nasty as it was surfaced mounted and two it was in a unpractical place.
Replaced with CBE one and moved to front of locker. A simple change over no major job I know. But as a newbie I've never drilled a big hole in a locker before. What's more it's level and equally spaced to from the locker end and the locker door. :Grin:

Filp down cup holder fitted to Mrs JU3 side of the bed.
Just swan neck light and fit inline switch to do and a few cargo nets.
Wardrobe to shelve out once I've work out access.
Then the van will start to feel more like ours.

barnlesfigues

Free Member
Apr 2, 2022
Corrèze, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs RT7094
Exp
MH owner since 2021
Removed very badly fitted Fiamma 50x50 skylight, only to find the installer had completely removed the wooden frame from the opening. I guess it probably started out as a 40x40 and they wanted to enlarge it. Cut the polystyrene insulation back in by 10cm and then built a new wooden frame to close the hole down to 40x40. Bonded it into the roof, then bonded a sheet of aluminium over the exposed part of the rood, sealing it with sikaflex after spray painting it in white.
Next day I installed EZA Air roof mounted aircon/heating unit. No more sweltering in 35°+ temps indoors when only 20° outside!

Cheese wired the old solar panel off the roof, only to find it didn't have MC4 connectors, instead being hard wired back to the old PWM controller. Both now in the bin! Have to wait for a dry day to get the new panels installed. Just wish someone made mounting brackets to allow them to have a slope. Even 5° would be better than flat!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Removed very badly fitted Fiamma 50x50 skylight, only to find the installer had completely removed the wooden frame from the opening. I guess it probably started out as a 40x40 and they wanted to enlarge it. Cut the polystyrene insulation back in by 10cm and then built a new wooden frame to close the hole down to 40x40. Bonded it into the roof, then bonded a sheet of aluminium over the exposed part of the rood, sealing it with sikaflex after spray painting it in white.
Next day I installed EZA Air roof mounted aircon/heating unit. No more sweltering in 35°+ temps indoors when only 20° outside!

Cheese wired the old solar panel off the roof, only to find it didn't have MC4 connectors, instead being hard wired back to the old PWM controller. Both now in the bin! Have to wait for a dry day to get the new panels installed. Just wish someone made mounting brackets to allow them to have a slope. Even 5° would be better than flat!
use aluminium angle to mount them then you can tilt them

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

There are a couple of threads running on the forum at present on tilting solar panels that you might want to have a read through. (y)
Welcome onto the forum by the way.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/tilting-solar-panels.260370/

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Getting ready for the Easter break and heading to the south coast for an extra long weekend and according to the BBC weather app, it’s going to be a nice one, sooooooo usual engine oil and coolant and screen wash under the bonnet done, then checked all tyre pressures, which were spot on. Then began the task of removing the bike rack and spare wheel cover and spare wheel and it needed puffing up, so now all 5 wheels and tyres are bobbydazzlin. Also gave me am opportunity to clean and wax polish the rear panel, before putting it all back together again.

Now where’s me Easter Eggs 🐣

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just completing the aftermarket cruise control then …….
its all done thats everything checked replaced renewed or serviced.
neither of us can think of any other works that need doing.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Not on the MH but on my land rover brakes failed peddle to the floor.
Nearly home when it happen.
Good job I am now up to fixing things my shelf again.
IMG_20220420_115416.jpg

Slave cylinder failed when for sum reason the retaining clip broke allowing the brake shoe to move off the slave cylinder piston then pushed out of the cylinder causing the system to lose braking pressure
Complete over hall of brakes started
IMG_20220420_154120.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
View attachment 608500
Slave cylinder failed when for sum reason the retaining clip broke allowing the brake shoe to move off the slave cylinder piston then pushed out of the cylinder causing the system to lose braking pressure
Really pleased that you are fit enough to turn spanners again Bill

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline

Is that a Mk1 Freelander?

May 29, 2020
Ferndown, BH22 9sg, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Pepper
Exp
Since 2019
Fitted a fan in the toilet area roof vent, fitted a new reed switch to the nearside garage door as noisy intermittent alarms are not acceptable, moved the 2x 240volt sockets which were located under the upper kitchen area cupboards onto the wall at the side of kitchen area and today fitted a Fiamma habitation door lock/arm system. Getting enthusiastic now ready for our UK outings then France & Germany in June for my max 6 weeks between chemo.
Thank you all for this great site, helps me through the bad times.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Finally found slight gas leak, she smells it, I dont. Handheld gas leak detector located it to the connection at rear of oven. The pipe bend touches the van wall, I suppose bouncing while driving around loosened the fitting. New pipe made up with tighter bend and some of the wall inner skin and insulation cut away. As the oven us out it is a good time to sort the non sparking igniters, ordered new spark exiter unit. Also noticed no gas drop out vent under cooker which I believe was fitted by a previous owner. Be a bit of fun sorting that as drawer and locker below oven then double floor!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Finally found slight gas leak, she smells it, I dont. Handheld gas leak detector located it to the connection at rear of oven. The pipe bend touches the van wall, I suppose bouncing while driving around loosened the fitting. New pipe made up with tighter bend and some of the wall inner skin and insulation cut away. As the oven us out it is a good time to sort the non sparking igniters, ordered new spark exiter unit. Also noticed no gas drop out vent under cooker which I believe was fitted by a previous owner. Be a bit of fun sorting that as drawer and locker below oven then double floor!
My wife smelt a gas leak, and being careful of such issues, I dug out my gas sniffer and spent hours searching it out. Later on we were sat drinking a cup of coffee when she declares she can smell it again......one of the dogs had just farted

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
condenser.jpg

Cab aircon wasn't working, air out of the vents was 17c. Two holes in the condenser, so no gas!
Two hours later, one scrap condenser and a nice new one fitted, mobile aircon company came and checked it, re-gassed
and now we have cold air (below 3c), just need the sun now.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Idiot me opened the garage door, let the wind catch it and let it blow wide open. Onto the open truma bbq gas point flap. Crunch - hinge on the top snapped. Temporarily stuck on with double sided tape, but at 40 odd quid a pop for a new one working out to fix.
Thinking along the lines of a small piano hinge araldited along top face, or maybe velcro, or extra strong magnets, or adding a piece of rubber on top face so the cover is raised and latches at the bottom with two small holes drilled through top face and pins inserted... Any suggestions welcome..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back