OK never stayed on an aire or even seen one (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Although travelled a lot as a tugger and in my RV in Europe cant say i have even noticed an aire.

So how does a newbie to them go about finding them?

OK books, websites our what?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
OK John, here is a good a place as any to start http://www.frenchaires.com/

You can buy the Le Guide from any of the large supermarkets between Jan and March or you can buy it from www.Amazon.fr I bought mine from Amazon.Fr this year.

[ame]http://www.amazon.fr/Guide-officiel-aires-service-2012/dp/2358390186/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321358477&sr=8-1[/ame]

The French site just lets you use your normal amazon login, follow your nose with the buy it button and you'll be one of the very first to get it late January:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I use the web site http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm , although in French it's very simple to follow.

On google chrome it will also translate some of it for you.

Signposts for Aires can be seen as you drive around, you will also see the sign for aires in many small towns and villages.

Broken Link Removed

Callum

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
specsavers john... you perhaps need some glasses

I use the web site http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm , although in French it's very simple to follow.

On google chrome it will also translate some of it for you.

Signposts for Aires can be seen as you drive around, you will also see the sign for aires in many small towns and villages.

Broken Link Removed

Callum

Almost every town and village has these signs in France... always coming across them.. I think John a visit to the opticians may be needed.

but as can be seen, plenty of books available. Just one word of advice is you want to use them, arrive early and do not expect to get a lot of room between you and the motorhome next to you.... have used them, but prefer to use sites which there are many.

Bob

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi john...i get mine from the satnav poi file. werever i am in france it gives me then nearest aire or municaple to the farthest away,as in the amy macdonald song goes " were ya guna go were ya guna sleep tonight":coolthumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
If your ever in doubt, follow signs for tourist information and ask in there.
We have been allowed to stay in the car park of one before.:thumb:

oh, and having a decent European van you will even be able to get to them all now John, and when you get there, you will even be able to get in and stay !!!

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
not trying to put a spanner in your travells but ,,,,,you will find the french camping car people dont like 5th wheelers ,,saw them point out quite loudly to a dutch and belgain pair near hornflour that its not a camping car and the airs are for them and go to a site ????:whatthe:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
buy the books in le clerc super markets . as for aires and fifth wheelers i dont really think anyone cares . i have seen car n caravns on aires . lived on one near roscof for 3 months and shared it with a french family in a m,home and a couple with a caravan. i have neve been told not to be there . in 11 yrs . in the height of summer room runs out but who cares you just park outside or down the road. have never had difficulty in france spain or in fact anywhere.even uk is easy to find a parking /camping stop. truckers do it all the time . possible found holland the hardest place just didnt seem right in many places but managed.
in france look for a village church they have big carpark and very often toilets sometimes hot water.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
didnt think John had a 5th wheeler? did I miss something?

your right though, more and more aires are being patrolled and caravan's are not tollerated on them for sure.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
not trying to put a spanner in your travells but ,,,,,you will find the french camping car people dont like 5th wheelers ,,saw them point out quite loudly to a dutch and belgain pair near hornflour that its not a camping car and the airs are for them and go to a site ????:whatthe:

John - thought you bought a Tabbert thingy, didn't know it was a fith wheeler :Smile:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Bought an A Class Tabbert::bigsmile:

Boy Saturday feel like forever coming:cry:

$(KGrHqMOKjUE3qGC0(t9BOHbk6FDNw~~_19.JPG
S'not my one but identical

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09

Nice looking van John!

At Honfleur this sept a fifth wheeler did try to park at the aire but it was moved on , also patrols to check if the ticket was correct for that time of day

For france we also use all the aires book from vicarious books

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

John.. all what the funsters have said is correct loads of info buy a book before you come over just to give you a start a route at first.....then plan as you go along...the sign "callum" put on are everywhere...BUT...can "Sometimes" mean it is just a drop off point and for picking up water and emptying your cassette... not for over night stopping...but most are for overnight sleeping...
If you are self contained ...meaning, if you have a solar and batteries, use your own shower and toilet..(have a small genny 1 kw.just in case you do like us tour in the winter), in case there is no sun for your solar charge...run for 1 or two hours in the day fine. power batteries back to normal....THEN Aires are great lots are free some minimal cost some with electric ....one I have just been on was free, plus free 5 amp electric water charged at a 2 euros jetton.around 100 ltrs or 10 mins timer. if you get the chance to buy a jetton (a special coin for the Bourne....) get a few spare, as most times you arrive it may be dark and places closed ???....we are in the Bordeaux....Perigueux region at the moment....not seen a Brit for 3 to four weeks called at the last place all motorhomes on the aire were BRITS.....6 of them ( FREE ELECTRIC:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...you will always find Brits on freebies:winky::winky::ROFLMAO:....)...you have the perfect motorhome for over here not to big get everywhere:thumb:
We are out at the moment for two months...done 5 weeks just on French Aires..(that is all we do..we are self sufficient so no need for a campsite)so three more weeks to go then we will be back home and out again 2 weeks after ....All on Aires.....
Look at my picassa photo web link below...All Aires in France Hundreds of them:thumb: and I keep adding more when I can get on the internet

Mel:Cool:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi John
Buy all the aires from vicarious books, then if you've got a tom-tom
You can download poi's from tom-tom-home.
We've just had three weeks pottering about round France
And only used aires, had a ball and can't wait for next year.
Cheers. Nige

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
John.. all what the funsters have said is correct loads of info buy a book before you come over just to give you a start a route at first.....then plan as you go along...the sign "callum" put on are everywhere...BUT...can "Sometimes" mean it is just a drop off point and for picking up water and emptying your cassette... not for over night stopping...but most are for overnight sleeping...
If you are self contained ...meaning, if you have a solar and batteries, use your own shower and toilet..(have a small genny 1 kw.just in case you do like us tour in the winter), in case there is no sun for your solar charge...run for 1 or two hours in the day fine. power batteries back to normal....THEN Aires are great lots are free some minimal cost some with electric ....one I have just been on was free, plus free 5 amp electric water charged at a 2 euros jetton.around 100 ltrs or 10 mins timer. if you get the chance to buy a jetton (a special coin for the Bourne....) get a few spare, as most times you arrive it may be dark and places closed ???....we are in the Bordeaux....Perigueux region at the moment....not seen a Brit for 3 to four weeks called at the last place all motorhomes on the aire were BRITS.....6 of them ( FREE ELECTRIC:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...you will always find Brits on freebies:winky::winky::ROFLMAO:....)...you have the perfect motorhome for over here not to big get everywhere:thumb:
We are out at the moment for two months...done 5 weeks just on French Aires..(that is all we do..we are self sufficient so no need for a campsite)so three more weeks to go then we will be back home and out again 2 weeks after ....All on Aires.....
Look at my picassa photo web link below...All Aires in France Hundreds of them:thumb: and I keep adding more when I can get on the internet

Mel:Cool:

Brilliant Mel thanks

Yes I have a genny and will have 3 solar panels before long (I own em just gotta get em fitted) plus 3 new 110 amp batteries:Cool:

I know there's a reference to me being blind :moon2: but TBO never really looked as that after us being robbed my ex would no entertain non site camping so just did'nt look........

Intend to do a lot of as economical camping as I can now i finally have my own life:Cool:

Things are looking good::bigsmile:

Thanks for all the tips.......:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Brilliant Mel thanks

Yes I have a genny and will have 3 solar panels before long (I own em just gotta get em fitted) plus 3 new 110 amp batteries:Cool:

I know there's a reference to me being blind :moon2: but TBO never really looked as that after us being robbed my ex would no entertain non site camping so just did'nt look........

Intend to do a lot of as economical camping as I can now i finally have my own life:Cool:

Things are looking good::bigsmile:

Thanks for all the tips.......:thumb:

John with all that power you will have above you will most likely not even need to run the Genny ::bigsmile::winky:(but i would carry 1 kw just in case...of a emergency !!)...Great news you are coming over on Aires....We may even meet on our travels :thumb:....

I must say this last two years and more so this year the amount of french motorhomers that are now using Gennies mostly 1 kw..:winky::thumb:

(In France the gennies have come down in price a lot ...before toooo expensive for them to buy)

Mel

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp

(In France the gennies have come down in price a lot ...before toooo expensive for them to buy)

Mel

I know how they can be expensive as someone pinch one of mine...........bar strew ards:Angry:

:winky::Smile:

I intend to tour around a lot so really hope to meet up at some time:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have the aires book but I think the tomtom POI would be handy. Have had a look on tomtom home but cant find it. Can anyone tell me were I can download this info. Preferably FREE.:winky:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Err, just a comment about jetons for bornes.

There are loads of different makes of borne and some are 'custom built' for that town, probably by the council's own chaps, however they tend to be free or included in the price where someone knock on your door and asks for the stopover fee. Each different make of borne uses a different token. Some have 2 ridges on one face, or 3. Some have channels on the other face.

There is usually a sign on the borne telling you where to get the jetons - sometimes the Tourist Info office, often shops and bars. And they don't mind at all if you only go in for a jeton, you don't get a dirty look because you haven't bought any of what the shop sells, be it beer or bread.

But a lot of em turn the water off at the end of October till about April. So no fresh and none for flushing out the cassette nor for actually flushing the drain where you empty it. And some of em require you to put a token in, just to flush that drain even in the height of summer. It can be utterly disgusting. But the vast majority we've stopped on have been fine.

Oh, PS - not all have em have water or anywhere to empty a cassette, let alone a drive-over drain. Folding buckets are dead handy ......

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Err, just a comment about jetons for bornes.

There are loads of different makes of borne and some are 'custom built' for that town, probably by the council's own chaps, however they tend to be free or included in the price where someone knock on your door and asks for the stopover fee. Each different make of borne uses a different token. Some have 2 ridges on one face, or 3. Some have channels on the other face.

There is usually a sign on the borne telling you where to get the jetons - sometimes the Tourist Info office, often shops and bars. And they don't mind at all if you only go in for a jeton, you don't get a dirty look because you haven't bought any of what the shop sells, be it beer or bread.

But a lot of em turn the water off at the end of October till about April. So no fresh and none for flushing out the cassette nor for actually flushing the drain where you empty it. And some of em require you to put a token in, just to flush that drain even in the height of summer. It can be utterly disgusting. But the vast majority we've stopped on have been fine.

Oh, PS - not all have em have water or anywhere to empty a cassette, let alone a drive-over drain. Folding buckets are dead handy ......

We have never had a problem finding water to flush the cassette. I have a tank onboard that collects the waste water from the sinks and I just use that.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We have never had a problem finding water to flush the cassette. I have a tank onboard that collects the waste water from the sinks and I just use that.

Me to John as do a many of the french ....we, they have a side outlet with a tap...and use the grey water from the on board grey waste tank to rinse the cassette a wash the bourne area.............But many do not have that facilty .....my last van had two 4" outlets underneath the centre of the motorhome and you pulled two long levers to open the sluice gates:Doh: so it was not possible :cry:

We are motorhoming at the moment and have been from the beginning of October till now 16th of November and still got another three weeks ...not expecting any water off yet... been on over 40+Aires and NOT found one with the water turned off ??? in fact there are loads of motorhomes still touring round (and I mean l
ots) as many if not more than in the UK in the summer:winky:

Mel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back