Pleated blinds- Storage... up or down ?? (1 Viewer)

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Just reading my Autotrail booklet and it says

" Please note::bigsmile:o not leave pleated night blinds in the "closed" position if the vehicle is being left in storage for any extended period of time."

It then shows a picture of blinds down..but this might just be a general blinds pic.

The trouble is "closed" could mean either "closed up" or "closed down"
Can someone tell me what they mean here.

thanks

barry

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Sometimes the big ones, like on the windscreen, don't fold back properly if they've been closed for a long time, though once folded away they soon get their 'memory' back. The ones that roll up on a spring mustn't be left closed for too long though otherwise the spring gets weakened.
I suppose the material of the pleated ones may get damaged in the sun but mine have a reflective silver stuff on the back so I shouldn't think it would be a problem. I usually leave mine half closed as a compromise.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I would think that it means closed "together". Or, windows clear. I have known pleated blinds stick together after a period of storage, probably moisture the cause. I pull mine down.

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have the pleated blinds in my RV

I have pleated blinds in my RV.. I tend to leave them down all the time through the winter to stop sun fadding the fabrics or the woodwork. I also leave the roller blind in the roof vent shut, but agree the spring does not like it being left open all the time and has to be wound back by hand.. but it is very small 14" x 14" size.

Bob

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
coming from Autotrail town, I can say we have been advised NOT to shut the blinds this does weaken the springs. Just close the curtains instead. Far less Sun in the winter, and it should only be the linings that get sun burnt rather than material!
Other than that, use your MH throughout winter, SIMPLES.....

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Apparently leaving blinds fully closed, particularly if they have reflective backing can, in direct sun can cause heat build up between blind and window sufficient to damage perspex windows.

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
dont ya just love da english language,
I came into this thread knowin exactly what closed was...
now im not sure at all,

I am the eternal comprimiser though so leave up neither up nor down but arf way, den if they do damage it will only be arf as bad as it was gonna be and if ya windows melt den dey wont melt as bad as dey was gonna and ya pleats will still av a bic of a pleat but not as much as closed and more than if dey was closed (closed meaning opposite to closed)

next problem please..im good at dis arnt i, mr problem solver im sen

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
dont ya just love da english language,
I came into this thread knowin exactly what closed was...
now im not sure at all,

I am the eternal comprimiser though so leave up neither up nor down but arf way, den if they do damage it will only be arf as bad as it was gonna be and if ya windows melt den dey wont melt as bad as dey was gonna and ya pleats will still av a bic of a pleat but not as much as closed and more than if dey was closed (closed meaning opposite to closed)

next problem please..im good at dis arnt i, mr problem solver im sen

I have just called for the men in white coats.....
......they will be round yours to take you away real soon Harry.

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
be carefull...they operate on the same ruleing as knickers once they go up its hard to get them down again....!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sounds like the mother- in - laws If the wind ever got behind them on the washing line we'd never see them again.
They are so big she has to get them on prescription !!!!

barry

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Ive almost got the idea though people are still using the word "closed".
"CLOSED" clearly has 2 meanings here.One being the opposite of the other.

Could I suggest.....covering the window.......or not covering the window

or perhaps bob could define it in legal talk .

At the moment the safest bet seems half way down ?

barry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: If you leave them covering the window the pleated bit becomes weak so that when you open them it is hard to get them to pleat correctly - on the other hand you are storing the roller net bit correctly :thumb:::bigsmile: clear as mud ::bigsmile:BOTH should be stored not covering the window :thumb: but that allows the sun to fade your fabrics :Eeek: me I store with the pleated bit covering the window and help the pleated bit by gathering it with my fingers :ROFLMAO: again clear as mud :Doh::Eeek:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back