VW's California Beach camper van comes up short (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The camper .. that's not a camper ?

VW has come up with a new version of its *California camper van.

It’s called the California Beach and starts at £34,970.

That’s considerably less money than the full-on California motorhome – the only snag being that the Beach is essentially a *seven-seat people carrier with very flexible seating.

No cooker, fridge, sink or any other motorhome kit. I can’t really see the point myself.

Much better to buy a *second-hand *California with all the fancy trimmings, I reckon

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Rampant Consumerism is running out of steam Jim.
This new vehicle looks like a final desperate attempt by VW to rake in a last little bit of cash from anyone left who can afford to buy into the leisure and sports lifestyle offered by their over-priced California vehicles.
Has anyone noticed the 'Think Blue' ad campaign? In the TV ad, they seem to be taking credit for inventing the VW Camper concept. Wasn't that done by Westfalia? Or is someone going to correct me?:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
westfalia are one of many converters of the vw . in my view possibly the worst of all the conversions is weestfalia. the early devons or the canterbury pitt . or before devon the j,p,whites of sidmouth did far better conversion.
but i think its fair to say the vw splitscreen was the first mpv type vehicle of its type .
renault like to think their espace was but its way behind .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
So its not a camper van at all then, it a people carrier with a pop up roof....and a bloody expensive one at that. Cant see there been much of market for it really for that kind of dosh you can get a proper motorhome. :Doh:

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
westfalia are one of many converters of the vw . in my view possibly the worst of all the conversions is weestfalia. the early devons or the canterbury pitt . or before devon the j,p,whites of sidmouth did far better conversion.
but i think its fair to say the vw splitscreen was the first mpv type vehicle of its type .
renault like to think their espace was but its way behind .

We have a 2010 Westfalia Ford conversion and we are very pleased with everything about it. The quality of materials and the layout has made quite a few of our motohome-owning friends envious......so there ! LOL !!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi manxcat.glad you like yours. i have owned several different westies. even had one that was used in kenya on a safari park. but still prefer devon conversions . never liked holsworth or danbury either. but never mind . you could have bought a vw though not keen on transits hee hee . i traded in vw for years but now more jap . mitsy and a mazda bongo. have a vw lt and a vw t25 here but they are just resting. i never liked vw when they teamed up with ford and built the t4 and the transit together. didnt get any better when they built the lt along with merc sprinter. but thats life. cheers have loads of fun in your camper .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Don't tell Buttons. it will break his heart::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The camper .. that's not a camper ?

VW has come up with a new version of its *California camper van.

It’s called the California Beach and starts at £34,970.

That’s considerably less money than the full-on California motorhome – the only snag being that the Beach is essentially a *seven-seat people carrier with very flexible seating.

No cooker, fridge, sink or any other motorhome kit. I can’t really see the point myself.

[HI]Much better to buy a *second-hand *California with all the fancy trimmings, I reckon[/HI]

I agree to a point but there is a market for a people carrier with a high roof for standing up, no fridge or sink leaves more room for people.
I think you could be becoming a bit of a Cali fan.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back