Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
We are back from our first weekend, survived and enjoyed. We will not be using the van again for 2-4 weeks, hubbie has emptied fresh and grey water + the thetford cassette. Question is should the cassette have a little water + the blue stuff in it or is it best to have it empy completely until we go out again. Advice please. :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I would leave about half pint of water and blue in it :thumb: that way it will stop smells etc, but not be enough to burst tank if it freezes- you could always take it out and store it inside the garage or else where :winky:
terry

Upvote 0

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
Provided it's been well washed out..... leave empty with the toilet cassette blade open to let air circulate...you can also partially unscrew the cap on the cassette filler to aid airflow through the cassette.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I'm with Graham on this one try using the Bio Washing Liquid (for washing machines not washing up liquid) it works very very well and a fraction of the cost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
I'm with Graham on this one try using the Washing Liquid (for washing machines not washing up liquid) it works very very well and a fraction of the cost.

We use bio washing liquid, and we find it very effective...

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have looked for bio washing liquid in both morrisons and tesco and cant find any that says bio on the label, am i looking for wrong stuff

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have looked for bio washing liquid in both morrisons and tesco and cant find any that says bio on the label, am i looking for wrong stuff

I think the stuff we've been using is Sainsbury's basics (either that or Asda smartprice). We also bought a couple of bottles from Poundstretcher when Munchie posted about a bogof on here a few months ago.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
thetford cassette

Well, imagine if you did remove the cassette and had it stored in the garage and then decided to go out on the spur of the moment........Oops !!
We always leave our campervan primed & ready to go.......clean loo, spare undies, tinned food and porridge ,& wine of course, just so we can take off after a hard day at work without too much thought.
Of course, we can't go far in the Isle of Man!!!!!

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Gerry it is the stuff for washing clothes. You can get bio or non bio. All the main supermarkets do the expensive stuff or their own brand which is adequate. :thumb:

Upvote 0

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
After taking advice from here, we now use the bio.........no more horrible chemical smell:thumb:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The supermarket bio is usually around a pound or less. I have used Tescos and Sainsburys with success.

With regard to the loo, if its likely to freeze I would leave it empty, with the blade open to let the air circulate and take the pressure off the seal.
Freezing would probably not damage it as long as its not got much in it, but the cassettes are about £100 to replace if it does get damaged.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
We are back from our first weekend, survived and enjoyed. We will not be using the van again for 2-4 weeks, hubbie has emptied fresh and grey water + the thetford cassette. Question is should the cassette have a little water + the blue stuff in it or is it best to have it empy completely until we go out again. Advice please. :Smile:
Empty this time of year as anything in it can freez

Upvote 0

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
As I understand it, the blue stuff, (or in our case green for the home leg as we have a muncher tank in the garden :Smile: ) helps to disolve the paper and other bits :Blush: AND is a disinfectant. The Bio Washing stuff isn't a disinfectant .....is it?

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I did actually use Vanish washing powder melted in about half a pint of hot water - when we ran out of Blue and no access to anywhere to replace it or even buy washing up liquid.

Have to say, no smells from the loo at all in the couple of days it was in there.

Dunno about it breaking down anything as I don't do cassette emptying! LOL

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
As I understand it, the blue stuff, (or in our case green for the home leg as we have a muncher tank in the garden :Smile: ) helps to disolve the paper and other bits :Blush: AND is a disinfectant. The Bio Washing stuff isn't a disinfectant .....is it?
I agree with you about the dissolve & disinfect bits. Quite important, I think.

Upvote 0

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Can anyone advise on quantity to use? at home we use Lidl concentrate bio washing liquid (cheap and goes a loooong way), so would consider using that in the loo.
also have Thetford commented on use of bio washing liquid - they always seem to promote their own products (obviously!) and threaten dire consequences if we don't use theirs.
:Smile:

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Can anyone advise on quantity to use? at home we use Lidl concentrate bio washing liquid (cheap and goes a loooong way), so would consider using that in the loo.
also have Thetford commented on use of bio washing liquid -[HI] they always seem to promote their own products (obviously!) and threaten dire consequences if we don't use theirs.[/HI]:Smile:

It's OK, these are toilets, not printers:roflmto:

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
:roflmto:ok, so that answers that bit of the question. what about dosage??:Smile:

We don't use anything in the cassette but do have a SOG which passes all the stink on to your neighbour:ROFLMAO:....

.....I'm only kidding, the SOG is great and so long as filter is maintained no pongs outside the van & saves a bucket full of cash on unecessary chemicals:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back