Campervans & tents. (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Does anyone know of any campsite wher it is permitted to have a campervan and a tent side by side ? The only place we've found so far is at Machrihannish near Campbeltown on the Kintyre peninsula which is a long way away from anywhere !!
We live on the Isle of Man and do occasionally venture to the Mainland and would like to take our 3 grandchildren camping. There's not enough elbow room in our campervan to sleep all 3 and us for more than a few hours so we are looking for suggestions please.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'd have thought it commonplace.

The usual term is "pup tent".

Doesn't mean they won't charge extra of course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It depends on what the warden considers a "Pup" tent. At cambridge 3c site, a tent just big enough to take a double blow up mattress and a single mattress was not considered a "Pup" tent, and we had to pay for an extra pitch.

Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It depends on what the warden considers a "Pup" tent. At cambridge 3c site,[HI] a tent just big enough to take a double blow up mattress and a single mattress [/HI]was not considered a "Pup" tent, and we had to pay for an extra pitch.

Ian

that's a pup plus two dogs tent :roflmto:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
have you not got an awning????
them drive away ones are basically a glorified dome tent.
ok so they may charge you but thats a way around it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Caravan Club sites prohibit tents !!:cry::cry::cry:

CC Rules

6 Awnings and Tents

a) On sites not advertised as accepting tent campers a site user may erect a lean-to or awning provided it forms part of the outfit and can readily be dismantled and transported with the outfit. Toilet tents/cooking tents designed as such are also permitted.[HI] Other tents may be erected provided that they are intended only as additional sleeping accommodation within the bounds of the pitch.[/HI]

b) To minimise damage to grass, site users are asked to lift all groundsheets and/or side flaps of awnings, tents or annexes at frequent intervals or as required by the Warden.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We use our drive away awning with a pup tent inside for extra warmth & protection and have never had a problem.

OP
OP
Manxcat
Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Thanks for all the replies. I should have pointed out that we don't have an awning and have no intention of getting one as we then wouldn't be able to see the sky from our big open door...we're still tent campers at heart, and that awnings take up a tremendous amount of room inside the van when packed. We have a family pot-up tent from Decathlon which folds into a large flattish circle and we store it on the drop-down bed.......It's too big to qualify as a pup tent though so I think we're in a "no win" situation. I've sent a request for clarification to the Camping & Caravanning Club as I'm a member, but so far,no response.
We're willing to pay extra just as long as we can have the tent next to the camper.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We have a 7m motorhome and more often than not have a tent next to it to use for a kitchen never had a problem on any site. UK or Europe.:Smile:

At the moment we have 3 tents on our pitch (as well as the motorhome!):Eeek::Eeek:

Some refer to our pitch as Sangatte!! :Eeek::Eeek:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Thanks for all the replies. I should have pointed out that we don't have an awning and have no intention of getting one as we then wouldn't be able to see the sky from our big open door...we're still tent campers at heart, and that awnings take up a tremendous amount of room inside the van when packed. We have a family pot-up tent from Decathlon which folds into a large flattish circle and we store it on the drop-down bed.......It's too big to qualify as a pup tent though so I think we're in a "no win" situation. I've sent a request for clarification to the Camping & Caravanning Club as I'm a member, but so far,no response.
We're willing to pay extra just as long as we can have the tent next to the camper.

maybe as a get around fit a small canopy off the gutter rail on the opposite side to your door with 2 poles just to cover where the tent could be pitched.
this would take up virtually no storage space and not block you view from the door and as it is attached to the motorhome it then becomes part of the structure.

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Sites with tents

If you are members of the C&CC use their CS sites or their THS (temporay holiday sites) tents will be no problem. Depends if you need site facilities.

I'm sure that your tent is no bigger then an awning and with a windbreak round it you shouldn't have any problems at any sites either ccc or cc. As long as you don't go out of your pitch area.

Regards Chris and Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back