Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Found this elsewhere, with thanks to Zoe.

==================================

Safe Motorhoming Fire Precautions.

Below are a few, but not exhaustive practical does and don’ts that we as Motorhomers could forget when out enjoying our hobby or full-timing. Most will probably do them as second nature but…..

Smoke Alarms

Everyone needs a working smoke alarm fitted in their motorhome, preferably on the ceiling.
There are new ones on the market that have a hush facility on them to stop nuisance soundings.
Smoke alarms should be tested once a week by pushing the test button.
Change the battery annually or buy a new one that has a ten year “fixed” cell in them to stop the removal of the battery ‘cos it keeps going off.
Once a year stick your hoover nozzle up to the detector to clear any spiders nest and dust.

Carbon Monoxide and CO Detectors

Fit a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas with no taste, no colour or smell. It is created by the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels such as gas, petrol etc.
Make sure all gas appliances have an annual gas check and treated to a regular service.
DO NOT block vents up. They are there to allow air circulation.
If using a generator don't let fumes be drawn inside the motorhome. Keep the generator at a safe distance from open windows and vents.
The proper location is on an inside wall at least eight inches from the ceiling and at least four feet from the floor (also check manufactures advice).

Fire Extinguisher

A 1kg, kite marked dry powder will cover most eventualities if caught soon enough. (Advice is get out, stay out and call the Fire Service).
Being a powder it can be used on most small fires.
If you have a Foam and Dry powder extinguishers don’t use both at the same time as Dry powder breaks down the produced Foam.
Always check the extinguishers stored pressure gauge, if it has one, to see that the stored pressure is correct. Some you can weigh as the extinguisher will have the weight written somewhere on the body. There will be a shelf life/best before date. When its past its date, dispose of it at the local refuse dump.
Shake it every month as it can cake up inside. This is due to road vibration. This means the powder packs itself down and goes into lumps, which can block up the discharge tube causing it to fail just when you need it.
Keep it in a place easily accessible.

Fire Blanket

A blanket is useful for kitchen fires such as burning cooking oil but also ideal for use on waste bin fires and clothing fires (Stop, Drop and Roll) and should be sited in the kitchen area or somewhere easily accessible.

Exits

Keep exits and exit routes clear. You don’t want to be stumbling/climbing over objects to exit the vehicle in an emergency.
Keep keys to hand if a key is needed to get out of the vehicle.

Gas Isolation Valves

Everyone should know where your gas isolation valves are (appliances, bottles and bulk storage) and how to turn them off.

Kitchen Safety

Don't leave cooking pans unattended.
Keep your grill pan clean from grease.
Watch out for your gas flame on the hob being blown out, especially those hobs without flame failure devices.
Make sure all pan handles are not overhanging the galley so people could inadvertently catch/knock them over. Turn the handles inwards.

Night-Time Routine

Make sure when you lock up you know where your keys are.
Turn off everything that should be turned off.
I know most motorhomes aren’t massive but try and make a fire plan. This is so everyone knows what to do and where to go if they hear the alarm sounding.
Keep a torch near to hand where you sleep.
Keep exits and exit routes clear.
If you smoke, don’t have a full or overflowing ashtray. Make sure your used cigarette ends go into a metal bin/empty bean tin with a bit of water in at the end of the night.
If you use candles make sure they are on/in a non flammable container and that you don't put them near curtains etc. Small
T lights, in the metal containers generate lots of heat and can burn surfaces so put them in a suitable container and are extinguished when not needed.

………and finally

Know Where You Are…

Always know where you are. Sounds daft I know but if YOU don’t know where you are how are the emergency services going to find you?
This list is not exhaustive. Just remember to THINK SAFETY but enjoy yourselves

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I also worry about the proximity of kitchen roll to open gas jets, often with a straggly bit wafting around the vicinity!
Wyn

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thought this was well worth a bump up. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Found this elsewhere, with thanks to Zoe.

==================================

[HI]If using a generator don't let fumes be drawn inside the motorhome. Keep the generator at a safe distance from open windows and vents.
The proper location is on an inside wall at least eight inches from the ceiling and at least four feet from the floor (also check manufactures advice).[/HI]

Seems a difficult place to use a generator:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though good advice. I would also recommend a smoke detector with a mute button for use when frying. Taking out the battery is a bad idea if you forget to put it back :Doh:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Seems a difficult place to use a generator:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though good advice. I would also recommend a smoke detector with a [HI]mute button[/HI] for use when frying. Taking out the battery is a bad idea if you forget to put it back :Doh:

How will I know when dinner is ready when she ain't speaking to me? hey ..answer me that smarty pants.................:roflmto:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hello all,

I would like to add if I may, that the article was compiled by a pal and former fellow Firefighting acquaintance of mine, who is known on MH forums as mangothemadmonk (Johhny & Shirl).

With respect, credit for the article is rightly his, as I am sure Zoe will agree. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back