Habitation door (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, the MH came with an extinguisher fitted, on the side of the overhead locker to the left of the door. The type that was fitted just hung on a holder but would fall off if not removed before driving. You can guess how I found that out. I had wondered what the little dents in the bottom 18" of the door were. The little dents don't looke much so not concerned about them. What is a bit more of a concern is the bottom of the door doesn't shut fully. It looks like having been hit a few times has bent it or the hinge slightly. Any advice on how to rectify this? Is it just a case of carefully knocking it back into shape?

Thanks

Gordon:thumb:

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, the bottom of my habitation door fitted badly too. To rectify it, I removed the door from the hinges as they were only screwed. I then drilled the hinge rivets carefully from the frame and examined the hinges. I found that the bottom hinge had been bent slightly comparing it to the other hinge. This wasn't visible till I laid one over the other. I then bent the offending hinge straight and refitted them. The problem was solved. I hope this helps.

Roy

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi, the bottom of my habitation door fitted badly too. To rectify it, I removed the door from the hinges as they were only screwed. I then drilled the hinge rivets carefully from the frame and examined the hinges. I found that the bottom hinge had been bent slightly comparing it to the other hinge. This wasn't visible till I laid one over the other. I then bent the offending hinge straight and refitted them. The problem was solved. I hope this helps.

Roy
SOUNDS A LITTLE MORE THAN A DIY JOB :whatthe: not sure I COULD DO THAT :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think it could be a "feature" of some Explorer vans that the lower hinge is either mounted slightly wrongly or bends. Our hab door used to creak quite a bit and then, eventually, the hinge broke.

I sourced a new hinge from Marcle Leisure and fixed it myself. Not as daunting a job as I first thought, thanks to advice from other Funsters. See Link Removed from June last year.

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Hi, the MH came with an extinguisher fitted, on the side of the overhead locker to the left of the door. The type that was fitted just hung on a holder but would fall off if not removed before driving. You can guess how I found that out. I had wondered what the little dents in the bottom 18" of the door were. The little dents don't looke much so not concerned about them. What is a bit more of a concern is the bottom of the door doesn't shut fully. It looks like having been hit a few times has bent it or the hinge slightly. Any advice on how to rectify this? Is it just a case of carefully knocking it back into shape?

Thanks

Gordon:thumb:

Hi Gordon, I have the same door issue on my Avantgarde 400 RL (2002 so presumably pretty identical to yours)

At the moment there is no actual gap, the door seals but the lower part is definitely not as snug as the upper. I'd be glad to hear of any solution you've found, have you tried removing and checking hinges as has been suggested?

Mike

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you can bend the hinges back using a block of wood and a hammer :thumb::Eeek:
terry

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Hi you can bend the hinges back using a block of wood and a hammer :thumb::Eeek:
terry

Errm - for someone with my aptitude for DIY that sounds like a recipe for disaster - a bit like [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_GeQR8fJo"]this[/ame] ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Errm - for someone with my aptitude for DIY that sounds like a recipe for disaster - a bit like this ?

Hi TW you are not kidding me ::bigsmile: it says you are a heating engineer -you know exactly how to yeld a hammer :ROFLMAO:
terry

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Hi TW you are not kidding me ::bigsmile: it says you are a heating engineer -you know exactly how to yeld a hammer :ROFLMAO:
terry

He He - maybe Terry - but in my book a hammer (or engineer's reciprocating tolerance adjuster, to give it its technical name) is for breaking things, not fixing 'em! :winky:

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Looking good. Tried a bit of gentle persuasion and the hinge side is spot on. Still a bit out somewhere but looking at the door it looks. Bit off true after all the bumps with the extinguisher. Next step is to tackle that.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back