none the same! (1 Viewer)

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
I know that the reasons for full timing amongst fulltimers are mostly differant but i was wondering if anyone has given up a nice wow factor house to go and fulltime.
Without being snobby,i know people fulltime because they cant get onto the property ladder or just dont like the area they live in or indeed that the house they own is just bland in a bland street and so has no character or soul to it.
I would be interested to know how many gave up that cracking ideal house to change their way of life and hit the road.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We lived in a succession of 'wow' factor properties for donkey's years, the last one being in a beautiful rural part of west Wales, surrounded by fields and woods, with a trout stream going through the garden. Solid fuel Rayburn on 24/7, giving cooking/limitless hot water/central heating using about 2 bags of anthracite a week... idyllic place. Once all the boys had grown up and left home we suddenly realised how ludicrous it was to pay £1500 a year council tax etc. for which we only really got a village school. (Rubbish collection was sporadic, no street lights, police 'too busy' elsewhere if needed ....). We have 2 properties in France for which the 'council tax' is 80 euros a year each. We have regular rubbish collection, free local tip, even a man whose sole job it is to look after the village: sweeping,caring for the trees and flowerbeds on the square etc etc. No road-tax, cheaper vehicle insurance, better and cheaper food and so on ... But when we sold up in Wales in August 2010 we decided to live in the motorhome for a few weeks and just tour around. Well, over a year later we're still in the van full-time. We've only visited the houses in France for a total of about 3 weeks, they've both been there for 300 years plus so they can happily wait a few more years. Everyone is different I know but we've had so many people say' oh, you're so lucky, wish I could do that', when told 'well do it then' the inevitable reply is 'ah but what about the mortgage' or 'ah but you need a base'. Well, our base is our Dethleffs and would be whether we keep the French houses or not. They are just nice to have and one day we may like the idea of living in one spot again, but we can't see a NEED to. We very much like the idea of living/eating/sleeping wherever we want for a fraction of what it would cost to do exactly the same thing in a wow factor house.
I'm not suggesting everyone should feel the way we do, just that we personally no longer see a point in working for years just to keep a house to have somewhere to live so one can go to work to pay for the house that one needs etc etc. etc. Barmy, according to some. :ROFLMAO:

Tiger boy

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I know that the reasons for full timing amongst fulltimers are mostly differant but i was wondering if anyone has given up a nice wow factor house to go and fulltime.
Without being snobby,i know people fulltime because they cant get onto the property ladder or just dont like the area they live in or indeed that the house they own is just bland in a bland street and so has no character or soul to it.
I would be interested to know how many gave up that cracking ideal house to change their way of life and hit the road.

We are giving up a lovely house plus a business to go full time. Business nearly sold , house up for sale and some furniture going into storage the rest the family can argue about who has it. We collect our MH on the 1st December :RollEyes: and the only downside is it will be going into storage (with the odd weekend away to get used to it) until the house is sold. We are MH virgins have camped and caravanned in the past some years ago and finally decided we had had enough and what with all the other things going on we wanted something a bit simpler. With a small IT business the banks screw you, clients want work done free so all in all we are off.
I'm 72 my wife is 57 and she would have retired in a couple of years until the goverment decided to change the pension age. We plan to tour around the UK for a couple of years and then who knows we may head south for the winter or if all else fails we will buy a small bungalow on the South Coast and take up knitting or growing pansies. :ROFLMAO:

"Life is to be lived and unless you give it go you may regret not doing it"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Generally speaking 90% of the fulltimers I have met left a perfectly good house for a nomadic lifestyle because it appealed to them. The wonderlust won the day.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Just recently after having spent 6 weeks in France and Spain, i have been thinking of selling up.

I have a nice detached 3 bed bungalow in Ilfracombe with fabulous views of the Bristol channel and Wales.

Just as soon as I got home I wanted to go straight back to sunny skies.

Large hedges need trimming, large gardens need mowing.
Just want to have FUN now.

who knows, one day soon I may sell up, just a tiny bit unsure

and one other little problem our son lives with us and we could not see him homeless, so may help him out with the proceeds.

Am I just dreaming:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:[/iSIZE]

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
We are giving up a lovely house plus a business to go full time. Business nearly sold , house up for sale and some furniture going into storage the rest the family can argue about who has it. We collect our MH on the 1st December :RollEyes: and the only downside is it will be going into storage (with the odd weekend away to get used to it) until the house is sold. We are MH virgins have camped and caravanned in the past some years ago and finally decided we had had enough and what with all the other things going on we wanted something a bit simpler. With a small IT business the banks screw you, clients want work done free so all in all we are off.
I'm 72 my wife is 57 and she would have retired in a couple of years until the goverment decided to change the pension age. We plan to tour around the UK for a couple of years and then who knows we may head south for the winter or if all else fails we will buy a small bungalow on the South Coast and take up knitting or growing pansies. :ROFLMAO:

"Life is to be lived and unless you give it go you may regret not doing it"
you go for it you only live once
at 72 you have had a good innings so enjoy the new life in your MH :thumb:

maroom2

Free Member
Apr 4, 2011
l,estartit,costa brava
Funster No
MH
bessacarr
Exp
rookie
we gave it all up

we gave a really good life in spain up.we ad been there for years,ad good friends and work/business.just fancied a change,so came back to blighty and been touring around a couple of months now.the only trouble is that we found we were bored in spain and got fed-up of the constant sunny days.(no joke)now,we didnt realise how much we missed the seasons here.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If living in a French Manor House is "wow" factor, I'd give it up tomorrow for life in a motorhome.
Life is an endless round of cleaning, grass cutting, hedge cutting, repairing, and in the summer running round after guests, on top of the cleaning, grass cutting etc......

Anybody want to buy a Dordogne Manor House, with gite ? I'll pay a good commission to anyone who finds a buyer :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back