Kayb

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
Comments appreciated as not motorhomed in the winter before. We usuall empty the water tank totally when not in use, but would love to hear thoughts on breaks in winter. Do you carry water in seperate water carrier or is it OK to fill tank up as usual in case of freezing at night? Look forward to hearing from you.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I have known people carry remote weather stations like this one-

You can sit in the warm comfort of your van and know the outside temperature.

If it is really cold, you can leave your waste drain open into a tapered bucket. Tapered so that the block of ice you produce falls out easily!
As for your fresh tank, which I assume is underslung and uninsulated, it might be best to only fill immediately before you use and drain down immediately afterwards.
You will probably find that any external pipework will be the first thing to freeze.
If you are on hook up, CAK tanks supply tank heating elements which you could fit inside your tanks, taking away the freezing problem in the first place!
Of course, you will need to travel with tanks empty due to the added freezing effect of wind chill as you motor down the road.:Smile:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have what you call a winter pack with all the pipes lagged and water heaters in both tanks but that didn't cope with last years temperatures of -17 when we were in Southport last winter.

Maybe cos Tez let the waste tank empty so heater couldn't do it's work, this year we are going to keep both tanks at least half full to see if that works to keep the water freezing, luckily the blown air heating worked though, just had to live out of bottled water.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have known people carry remote weather stations like this one-

You can sit in the warm comfort of your van and know the outside temperature.

If it is really cold, you can leave your waste drain open into a tapered bucket. Tapered so that the block of ice you produce falls out easily!
As for your fresh tank, which I assume is underslung and uninsulated, it might be best to only fill immediately before you use and drain down immediately afterwards.
You will probably find that any external pipework will be the first thing to freeze.
If you are on hook up, CAK tanks supply tank heating elements which you could fit inside your tanks, taking away the freezing problem in the first place!
Of course, you will need to travel with tanks empty due to the added freezing effect of wind chill as you motor down the road.:Smile:

Since when does wind get through the tanks ?Also when traveling the water will be moving around so not freezing :winky:
terry

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I drain down completely between trips, but have never had any problems with either fresh or waste systems in sub-zero temperatures when away. Have not tested in Alpine conditions though - I might be tempted to leave the waste valve open with a bucket under it in those circumstances. At very low temperatures, we leave the Truma heating running on tick-over all the time.
Usage all depends on how well insulated your van's pipes and tanks are. I'm assuming that the fresh tank and pipework are all internal? If the waste is under-slung, then it needs to be lagged / insulated and heated, otherwise leave the drain open with a bucket under it. If waste pipes from sinks to tank run under the van and are not well insulated, you may have problems as mentioned by others.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi All

No specific temps were mentioned so was erring on the side of caution ref wind chill!

I agree at usual UK temps, not an issue!:Smile:

Of course any external cold water pipes will be first to freeze! I am calling on knowledge gained in working with machinery at -28 or so in coldstores. Air movement has a greater chilling effect. Even low viscosity hydraulic oil turns to sludge in the pipes in these circumstances.
Batteries freeze too!

Perhaps we need to know where the van is to be used!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back