Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was speaking to someone at a meet who told me he uses an electric tube greenhouse heater for when the temp drops to zero. Anyone else use one of these? I have never used anything before as I use the motorhome through the winter, but the last two week cold spell caused wood to swell and warp.

Are they worth it, are they expensive to run?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We use a "Deloghi" oil filled radiator, Jim..

On the lowest setting once the oil is hot it is very economical, and just takes the chill off..

Probably waisting electric but just leave roof vent open a fraction.. :thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
When it looks as though we are in for a prolonged cold spell, I use the 500W version of the Dimplex heater in the link below. Similar idea to a greenhouse heater (in fact Dimplex list this as a possible application) but it is perhaps more stable when free-standing. We also take it away with us if we know we will be on a hook-up when the temperature is below freezing.
<< Dimplex MPH 500 >>

p.s. this is a much lighter solution than an oil-filled rad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Watt for watt all electric heaters cost the same, all are 100% efficient.

I once used one to keep a walk in wardrobe aired, the surface got so hot it could burn clothing.

Use a conventional heater, much easier though not without problems. Even with enough heat it does not mean the heat protects pipes in the various voids. Lots of cold corners and the top is all hot.

Jimscotland does not like fan heaters.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We use an oil filled radiator as we use the RV on and off through the winter. We leave all wardrobes and cupboards open for circulation and airing .

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Surely raising the temperature in th m/h will increase the relative humidity causing more woodwork to swell and mould to occur.

IMO ventilation is far more effecive at keeping problems at bay and I don't think cold will do any damage so long as all freezable fluids are drained down.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
When it looks as though we are in for a prolonged cold spell, I use the 500W version of the Dimplex heater in the link below. Similar idea to a greenhouse heater (in fact Dimplex list this as a possible application) but it is perhaps more stable when free-standing. We also take it away with us if we know we will be on a hook-up when the temperature is below freezing.
<< Dimplex MPH 500 >>

p.s. this is a much lighter solution than an oil-filled rad.

May be lighter... but because of the velocity of the oil and once hot the heat keeping, from hot to cooling down oil is one of the slowest because of the constintuencies (Thickness) of the liquid.. they work out a lot cheaper than anything else..

And are safer..

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Surely raising the temperature in th m/h will increase the relative humidity causing more woodwork to swell and mould to occur.

IMO ventilation is far more effecive at keeping problems at bay and I don't think cold will do any damage so long as all freezable fluids are drained down.

We do leave two top vents slightly open when the radiator is in for ventilation

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi guys, I've used both. My boat has a fan heater on board set just above frost setting. It is set on 900W. A typical winter quarter bill is under £30.

My neighbour has two 60W greenhouse tube heaters on his boat. His bill is almost exactly the same, which would suggest that his is on for longer than mine.

Both moorings have a dedicated metered supply so the costs are accurate.

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004

I agree, we have never heated our caravans/motorhomes but have always allowed for plenty of ventilation.

Never had any problem with damp or mould.
Heat will just cause condensation with it's associated problems.
Make sure you leave all the internal doors, drawers and cupboard doors open a bit.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I'm in the "no heat" camp... Havent used one in 10 years of owning a motorhome, no issues to date..
Drain the van of water, open the cupborads and lift all the cushions up. In our current Autotrail we get the toilet door swelling and sticking a bit but now I leave that door open as well, it always closes once the van warms up.
After all they never heat vans when on the dealer forecourts..

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've never heated a van before and never had any real problems, but last year, we had sustained cold weather and it caused a fair amount of damage. Wooden fridge door facias bowing and splitting, joints on cabinet doors being pushed open. Would a bit of warmth stopped this?

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
We used a two bar halogen heater last year during the coldest weather and had no problems. Mind you we use the van all year so dont drain down.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I guess it depends on whether you lay the van up or keep using it, we are making a concerted effort this year to be out as much as possible so want the van primed and ready to go at short notice, so Im in the camp of having minimal heating on.:thumb:

I hear what folk are saying about no heating and leaving ventilation and all that - but where we live it just makes things worse.We live near a river, at the bottom of a valley, on the north facing side so it tends to be 'moist' quite a bit in the winter months. So im employing the same tactics as we do with the house (old stone one) once dry and warmish...keeping it ticking over and damp wont get in and the heat will create airflow bringing fresh stuff in and pushing the old stuff out..

I leave the blown air heating on its 500W setting and on 1 so it only kicks in around 10C (i think), makes a massive difference, once the initial humidity caused by putting the heating on goes away (no more than a day), its all nice and dry, and easily warmed up properly for the last minute weekend trips

One thing though - if you have a memory foam mattress in there...either take it out or put heating on - those things are very effective de-humidifiers:Eeek:! as we discovered recently...and another reason the heating is kept on now as well!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
As warm air condenses on cold surfaces the real answer is no heat and more ventilation so that everything gets cold. you cannot keep the damp air outside.

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Tube heaters

I have used 3 x 40 watt tube heaters and they work just fine. As you can calculate, the power used is minimal.
I also use the van in the winter but find they are useful when the van is not in use.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim, I don't know the definitive answer as to heat or no heat ::bigsmile: but I know a S/B who has five tube heaters built into/under beds etc in his van he leaves one thermostatically controlled one on all the time-the tube heaters run about 18w per foot so a 4 ft one = 80/100 w light bulb which worked out a few yrs ago @7p per hour to run.They do not run all day/night but turn on /off when required he blocks all out side boiler/fridge vents and anything else up :thumb:there by eliminating drafts etc.:thumb:
Me I am in the no heat camp but do bring all soft furnishings into the house (simply pass them through a side window into the storage room )takes about 5 mins to empty/fill the van ready for the off.
In my mind keeping a little heat in the van will stop air moisture entering/swelling the wood but this would have to be kept to a minimum or you will cause condensation which will do more harm than good.
When I first got a van after reading all this stuff,I did try heating the van one year but I got a bit too much heat in which hurt my wallet far more than the van :Doh:::bigsmile:
Tube heaters are good/cheap to buy and run ::bigsmile:
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We have and we do

We have two of them in the RV.. a 120 watt in the bathroom and a 80 watt under the table on the seat bulkhead with a leg guard. We also set the main LPG gas boiler to kickin around 35 degrees. we also have a dehumidifer on timer for the nights to run direct in to the sink and down and out of the open grey valve.

Have done that for a long time, certainly the last two winters on the Winnebago and long time on other yanks we have owned.

The RV stays nice and snug and the tempreture is always at a reasonable height.. cost.. do not consuder the issue as I do not want damaged to the inside of the RV, so this way it is well covered.

Bob

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
One other solution is to run a reasonably sized dehumidifier every few days (with all ventilation closed), to remove moisture from the van (wood/soft furnishings etc).

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
One other solution is to run a reasonably sized dehumidifier every few days (with all ventilation closed), to remove moisture from the van (wood/soft furnishings etc).

Dehumidifiers work by cooling the air passing through them in order to condense the water content from the atmosphere. For this to work the air temperature needs to be reasonably high in the first place. I have two fairly large dehumidifiers ( I do not use in m/h) but neither work below around 6deg C.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
That is why we use them with tube heaters

Dehumidifiers work by cooling the air passing through them in order to condense the water content from the atmosphere. For this to work the air temperature needs to be reasonably high in the first place. I have two fairly large dehumidifiers ( I do not use in m/h) but neither work below around 6deg C.

That is why we use them with out tube heaters and the lpg heater which kicks in when really cold... we know they work as the spong in the sing is wringed out and re set and we can see the water marks under the RV where the grey tank drains down to.. works just fine for us.

Bob

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
The problem is one of temperature difference rather than absolute temperature.

If a van is kept warm all the time, there will be no condensation other than where the warm, moist air meets a cold surface.
If the van is kept cold all the time, the cold dry air holds little moisture and will not cause condensation because there is no temperature difference between the air and the surfaces.

Using the van and then closing it up for a cold spell without replacing all the warm, moist air inside will cause lots of condensation.

I would suggest the best route is to leave all doors and windows open to cool the interior before closing up, then leave some ventilation to allow the interior and exterior to keep the same temperature.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Trouble with that Hutchies is the soft furnishings adsorb moisture from the cold air, then it retains it making it damp :Doh: Admittedly Once heating is used it does not take long to dry out/heat up ::bigsmile:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The problem is one of temperature difference rather than absolute temperature.

If a van is kept warm all the time, there will be no condensation other than where the warm, moist air meets a cold surface.
If the van is kept cold all the time, the cold dry air holds little moisture and will not cause condensation because there is no temperature difference between the air and the surfaces.

Using the van and then closing it up for a cold spell without replacing all the warm, moist air inside will cause lots of condensation.

I would suggest the best route is to leave all doors and windows open to cool the interior before closing up, then leave some ventilation to allow the interior and exterior to keep the same temperature.

How ?if you close the van up then no moisture will get in :Smile:Chances are that by the time you empty the van after getting home the van will have lost most of the heat making it more outside temperature so cancelling out any condensation
terry

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
How ?if you close the van up then no moisture will get in :Smile:Chances are that by the time you empty the van after getting home the van will have lost most of the heat making it more outside temperature so cancelling out any condensation
terry

The interior of the van will be warm and humid, then as the exterior of the van cools (quicker than the interior), condensation will form.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The interior of the van will be warm and humid, then as the exterior of the van cools (quicker than the interior), condensation will form.

:ROFLMAO:::bigsmile: May I suggest you insulate your van more if that happens-Willing to bet you would not get a thimbleful, and even that would attract itself on to the windows
terry

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
:ROFLMAO:::bigsmile: May I suggest you insulate your van more if that happens-Willing to bet you would not get a thimbleful, and even that would attract itself on to the windows
terry

But then we do have two adults and four kids inconsiderately breathing in our van :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
But then we do have two adults and four kids inconsiderately breathing in our van :Smile:
I can see where you are coming from as each person breaths out about 1 1/2 pints of moisture over night :thumb: but you are fastening/laying your warm van up for a few weeks :thumb: Surely as attractive a proposition as it sounds you are not leaving the wife and kids in it ::bigsmile:
terry

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I can see where you are coming from as each person breaths out about 1 1/2 pints of moisture over night :thumb: but you are fastening/laying your warm van up for a few weeks :thumb: Surely as attractive a proposition as it sounds you are not leaving the wife and kids in it ::bigsmile:
terry

But then we don't drive home in gloves, overcoats and balaclavas, holding our breath ::bigsmile:

I'll post a video of the kids with their super-wide squeegee (from the 60p shop :thumb: ) wiping about 2 litres of water off the windscreen :Eeek:

As long as the van is closed up with little moist, warm air, as I think we both have said, somewhere, there's no problem.
If unpacking the van cools the interior, that's the same as leaving the doors and windows open.

Best just to keep using the van, really :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No need to post the video ::bigsmile:I know what my van screen is like if I don't use the external screens (= no condensation) or use the internal ones (= condensation)
I like the sound of 60p shops are these replacing the £1 shops :winky:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back