Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I was having a look through the Betterware catalogue that plopped through my letterbox the other day and noticed these for sale:

Link Removed

Not sure how good they would be for a motorhome, maybe for smaller/lighter ones?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
they certainly look better than regular plastic gripmats but at less than 2ft in length you may need quite a few....no good getting moving only to bog down again in 2ft

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well ive just ordered some for Ralph, as he liked the look of them .
So i'll soon tell you:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
was look in at betterwere but you need to buy two pairs .wonder if these are any good
Link Removed thay will cost the same .:Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have you actually tried to use those Pyramid ones yet ?

We got stuck ( but not badly ) on the way back up from Spain this year,, Tried my 'mats' and they helped a little but not a lot.. chap beside us lent us his brand new set of those...

Destroyed one side and never found some of the other side at all.. Went back to my mats and managed to get out..

But I would not recommend those cheap Fiamma mats we have either !!! :cry::Sad:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Nope they are not, and when you think of the usage/storage etc, they are not ideal for MH use, unless of course, you are regularly in snow/mud situations. Mine are normallyn to be found outside my porch as mats..they get slung in the landrover when needed.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I bought a pair of the same bridging ladders from Duratread. Cost £63 delivered which, I think, is a bit cheaper than the tracmat supplier - delivery is a significant item because of the weight and shape.
http://www.duratread.co.uk/sand_bridging_ladders.html

In hindsight, I wish I had bought the 25mm thick versions, rather than the standard 38mm. They would have been quite adequate and lighter to handle. In use they are excellent, easily coping with the weight of the rear (driven) wheels for a few days on soft wet grass, and the grippy surface enables an easy pull-away. However, almost nothing is going to enable a motorhome to cross a very muddy field without difficulty. I guess if you really need to do that on a regular basis, a 4x4 Iveco or Sprinter, or even more extreme, a Unimog chassis is the answer!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Was impressed with those tracmat ones..
Not too impressed with the high delivery costs but hey ( £4.90 would be the actual cost ).. They want to make 'em selves look like a silly little firm that has to seal a couple of quid thats not my problem.. still interested as the product looks good.

Went to checkout and then found prices were plus vat

Sorry, but this is a firm I would not give a penny too or trust any further than a hungry jackal !

Companies that put hidden costs on stuff that you only find out about when you go to pay for the kit are little better than Dale Farm inhabitants ( in fact worse as they are hiding behind a veneer of respectability )

And yes, VAT is something we all pay so why, in this day and age, not include it in the advertised price ?
Rhetoric question as we all know why.. is is so they can squeeze the perceived vfm quota that bit harder..

Boils my wee this sort of thing

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Agreed. I just pointed people to the product, personally i bought mine at a show, no postage, and a bit of a haggle, I,m sure MH owners will spend the time to find them from a reputable supplier. Just as a footnote, the same material is used for walkways in Natinal Grid substations etc over cable ducts etc, and by my employer (national utility) for the same.
Whatever suits you or your purse, tie some rope to them, and your motor, so when the motor comes out, it pulls the mat out, or you'll spend ages looking for them and digging the,m out:Eeek:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I was looking at these - are they very heavy?

i have 4 full mats and have cut 2 of them in half lengthways and the other 2 i cut into 3 sideways giving a total of 10 individual mats equating to about 6 metres or track per side or a single 50cm wide walkway of 12 metres.

i suppose you could get away with 1 full mat cut in half lengthways if you wished they weigh about 20 kilos for a full mat so can eat into your payload quite a bit in a small van:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
These are the best, everything else is a compromise. http://www.tracmat.com/#

We had some of these but they are heavy to carry about all the time and long to store away . Especially when covered in mud.
They do the job though.
Unfortunately they melted away to nothing along with lots of other stuff when some scrote set fire to Ralphs lock up. :Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back