Airrides for coachbuilt overcab ? (1 Viewer)

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I will be collecting my 2004 Fiat Hymer C544K tomorrow.
As a short wheel base with a large overcab, I know the handling is not the best but have had similar before and can live with this. The van is around 18 feet long.

My question is - How much would airrides improve the handling, roadholding, and rolling at roundabouts?
And has anyone fitted them to a similar van?

Thanks

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I don't even know what airrides are (but there'll be someone who does!)

I'm picking up my motorhome tomorrow too (gulp) so hope everything goes OK for both of us and I will definitely look out for rolling at roundabouts!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had Air-ride suspension assistance on 2 motorhomes how, a 7.14m Rimor and our current 5.99m Chausson, neither of which were overcabs but that still doesn't mean they weren't 'swingers' and they were affected by crosswinds.

To be fair the Rimor used to be a pain to take round corners and roundabouts, having to go quite slow due to it wallowing from side to side, once we had the air-ride put onto it, it was an absolute dream.

Although the Chausson wasn't anything like as wallowy as the Rimor, we'd got used to having it and noticed the difference so had it put on the Chausson and it too now drives like a dream ... I have to remind hubby it's a motorhome and not a racing car!!!:Blush:

With an overcab you'll certainly notice the crosswinds more so I would suggest seeing how you get on first, the if you want to improve it, get it put on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Joggerman, had Airrides on both my previous vans and have found them very useful on improving road holding, reducing body role, but also most importantly in my case was the reduction in bufferting from overtaking lorries.

I fitted them my self and it is quite a simple job for a DIY fit. :thumb:

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Airrides

In addition to my original questions, I forgot to ask if airrides need to be notified to the insurance companie as a modification to the vehicle?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would say yes, just to be safe, we have always told them although it has never made any difference to the premium etc, but best to let them know.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
In addition to my original questions, I forgot to ask if airrides need to be notified to the insurance companie as a modification to the vehicle?

I would say different to Minx but his advice is right, "it wont make any difference to premiums"
Never informed mine as it was seen as an added extra and not a modification, it does not alter performance or ,make it more desireable to be nicked.

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Joggerman, had Airrides on both my previous vans and have found them very useful on improving road holding, reducing body role, but also most importantly in my case was the reduction in bufferting from overtaking lorries.

I fitted them my self and it is quite a simple job for a DIY fit. :thumb:

Which make of airrides did you fit?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I would say different to Minx but his advice is right, "it wont make any difference to premiums"
Never informed mine as it was seen as an added extra and not a modification, it does not alter performance or ,make it more desireable to be nicked.

But if it does get nicked you'll no doubt want them to be put on your replacement van? Best not to lose out for the sake of a phone call ...

PS: With a name like Minx you should've guessed that I'm a girlie! :Doh::ROFLMAO:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
As a short wheel base with a large overcab, I know the handling is not the best but have had similar before and can live with this. The van is around 18 feet long.

My question is - How much would airrides improve the handling, roadholding, and rolling at roundabouts?

Thanks
I have air ride fitted to my 25foot RV it works very well makes for a much better ride i put mine too 45psi for normal driving :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
But if it does get nicked you'll no doubt want them to be put on your replacement van? Best not to lose out for the sake of a phone call ...

PS: With a name like Minx you should've guessed that I'm a girlie! :Doh::ROFLMAO:

Which make of airrides did you fit?

I purchased them from marcle leisure, not sure what the make was, cheap though and done the Job?

sorry Minx :Blush: but thought you were a tail wagging tongue poking dog, not a girlie :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Neither does my Volvo tow-bar Paul...but its on my insurers list of modifications

i think the interpretation is.....anything which is permanently screw, bolted or welded to the vehicle becomes a modification.

seat covers, fluffy dice :Eeek: an air freshner or a satnav are added extra's

MODIFICATION........to alter from standard

The term is generally used in reference to modern vehicles that have been altered, and not typically used to describe other types of modified cars such as Hot rods, however the definition can include this, as well as any other car that is not in its original form as was purchased from the manufacturer

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp

Neither does my Volvo tow-bar Paul...but its on my insurers list of modifications

i think the interpretation is.....anything which is permanently screw, bolted or welded to the vehicle becomes a modification.

seat covers, fluffy dice :Eeek: an air freshner or a satnav are added extra's

MODIFICATION........to alter from standard

The term is generally used in reference to modern vehicles that have been altered, and not typically used to describe other types of modified cars such as Hot rods, however the definition can include this, as well as any other car that is not in its original form as was purchased from the manufacturer

personally I would not waste the 5 mins of my life,

in most cases You don't weld a towbar either! They just bolt onto the bumper struts - much like a roof rack bolts onto the roof mount points.

Or shall I inform them I have bolted on a roof rack as well,, then there;s the ABS wheel covers that I bolted on.

As said each to their own, and I would never advise not too, only that me personally would not bother. They did not want to know about air rides or even the engine chip when I wasted 5 mins of my life getting through.

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hmmm, never even crossed my mind to notify the insurance company when I got air suspension fitted recently :Doh:

I had Drive-Rite air suspension fitted last month to my 20ft m/h with large overcab bed. Fitted at Essanjay in Dorset :thumb: Main issue that I was aware of was that towbar was grounding just getting on/off petrol station forecourts but didn't appreciate how bad the road handling had been until air suspension was fitted (this is my first coachbuilt m/h so didn't have anything to compare to)! However main problem for me was down to existing suspension being on last legs.....right down on the rubber cones so leaf springs were almost flat. Only bought the van in August so bit gutted to have to spend money on it quite so soon, but definitely worth the money. The new tyres made huge difference too. However I would suggest trying driving your new m/h before you decide whether you need it :winky:

Daisy2

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Purchase fell through !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Alas, found problems with the van, so backed out of the deal.
Back to the drawing board. :Sad:

Thanks for all the comments.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back