Number plate fiasco at Marquis Motorhomes. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Popped into Marquis Motorhomes to buy a rear number plate, had my V5 and my photocard driving license at the ready..

Asked the girl in reception if they made plates, to which she replied, yes, but you need your V5 and your PASSPORT .. I said, why, I have my driving license, why a passport ?

Off she went to see the boss, so I followed and popped my head into his office.. yes he said, you need a passport AND your MOT and insurance ..

Again, I asked why .. but no amount of asking for an explanation produced a sensible answer.. finally I said FINE .. thanks for your help .. not.. :RollEyes:

So, off I went to Halfrauds, and they asked for the V5 and photo ID.. so I asked about the fiasco at Marquis .. the girl said that was a load of nonsense, the online form they fill in has all the vehicle details, keeper, MOT and insurance, so all they need is a photo ID (driving license is best ) with your address..

So what was all that about at Marquis ?? :RollEyes:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes got mine at Halfords

Yes got mine at Halfords.. not problems.

When I wanted a Q plate for my class III scooter which has a V5 I had to buy one from the Isle of Man... if you want a bog standard number plate yes Halfords are fine.

Bob

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Popped into Marquis Motorhomes to buy a rear number plate, had my V5 and my photocard driving license at the ready..

Asked the girl in reception if they made plates, to which she replied, yes, but you need your V5 and your PASSPORT .. I said, why, I have my driving license, why a passport ?

Off she went to see the boss, so I followed and popped my head into his office.. yes he said, you need a passport AND your MOT and insurance ..

Again, I asked why .. but no amount of asking for an explanation produced a sensible answer.. finally I said FINE .. thanks for your help .. not.. :RollEyes:

So, off I went to Halfrauds, and they asked for the V5 and photo ID.. so I asked about the fiasco at Marquis .. the girl said that was a load of nonsense, the online form they fill in has all the vehicle details, keeper, MOT and insurance, so all they need is a photo ID (driving license is best ) with your address..

All that has happened here is Marquis have made a mistake, and lets face it they are very very good

at making mistakes.

My local dealer insists on the v5 for obvious reasons and photo id unless he knows you and then it's just the v5.............Griff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Sounds like the 90 year old lady that couldn't buy drink as she only had her pension book and pace maker certificate with her.:Doh:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've just emailed Marquis's head office with the story and asked for an explanation..
Is this their company policy or are the staff ill trained.. will post the reply ..

What really annoys me is going to Halfrauds added another 10 miles to the trip..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'll be in trouble if I need a number plate then. I haven't got a photo driving licence because we last moved before those licences came in. I've never had a passport. The only photo id I have is my bus pass :roflmto:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
It cannot be (company policy) they do not make the laws:Eeek:
I have been asked for photo id before I do not have any
No passport
Old licence
so how do you buy a numberplate?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
V5, old driving licence and a utility bill should suffice especially if you go with the van as well with the old plates on it.

Only a jobsworth idiot would refuse.

Peter

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
V5, old driving licence and a utility bill should suffice especially if you go with the van as well with the old plates on it.

Only a jobsworth idiot would refuse.

Peter

That is what I used last time Peter:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
from the DVLA website...

Documents to confirm your identity
One of the following:
driving licence, whether or not issued in the United Kingdom (UK) (with or without a photo)
a bill from your electricity, gas or water supplier, a landline telephone bill, a council tax bill or rates bill in Northern Ireland (issued within the last six months)
a bank or building society statement (issued within the last six months)
a passport, whether or not issued in the UK
a national identity card issued by the government of a state or territory other than the UK
a debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society
a police warrant card
an armed forces identity card

Documents to establish your entitlement to the registration number
One of the following:
vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI)
new keeper supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI)
certificate of entitlement (V750 or V750NI) to a vehicle registration number
retention document (V778) (not applicable in Northern Ireland)
a renewal reminder for a tax disc or SORN (V11 or V11NI)
temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI)
a number plate authorisation certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA) or Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA)
a letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) - the letter must quote the document reference number from the registration certificate

when you get a bull sh*t reply from head office send this back to them :thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I just ring up a local place. Tell them what I need. Pick up and pay for it when I go shopping. Got one last week :Smile: Jane Honest voice and face::bigsmile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Why do you call then Halfrauds as opposed to Halfords, they seem to have sorted out you number plate for you. Have they upset you somehow?

not particularly .. it's just a nickname, same as we call ebay,.... evilbay ..

however, I do think £14.99 for ONE plate is a bit steep.. you can buy a pair for that price on line. ...

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Just got a pair off Ebay £3.99 + £4.00 P&P next day delivery :thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User

Yes that's where I buy for all my cars no hassle , and no documents just tell them what you want , and with you within a couple of days .:thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

I would say they did not want to do the work for you just making up whatever to put you off
vote with your wallet go to Halfords that will show them

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

Hope they last longer than the last ones I got made up at a local Motor Factors, 3 months down the road there was signs of delamination and dirty road water had got between the laminates, the front plate looked worse than the one it replaced.:Angry:

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
do you have a link to the page ?

Link Removed

Link as requested :thumb:

Seems his prices change for each listing all about the same total price

The ones I got the quality is very good

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I'll be in trouble if I need a number plate then. I haven't got a photo driving licence because we last moved before those licences came in. I've never had a passport. The only photo id I have is my bus pass :roflmto:

Graham? Are you seriously saying you have never travelled abroad? Am I missing something here? Are you? I thought dinosaurs were extinct. :roflmto:

Ivy

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Pete has a really ancient licence too! but at least he has a passport LOL

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Link Removed

Link as requested :thumb:

Seems his prices change for each listing all about the same total price

The ones I got the quality is very good

Did you check out the statement at the bottom of the E Bay advert?

All plates unless specifically requested (documentation required) are sold as "show use" and/or "off road use" and therefore we cannot be held responsible for illegal use of these plates on the road, by choosing "buy it now" you are agreeing to these terms and conditions of sale, We cannot be held responsible for any fines or convictions resulting from using these plates for any purpose but for the one for which they were designed.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

All plates unless specifically requested (documentation required) are sold as "show use" and/or "off road use" and therefore we cannot be held responsible for illegal use of these plates on the road, by choosing "buy it now" you are agreeing to these terms and conditions of sale, We cannot be held responsible for any fines or convictions resulting from using these plates for any purpose but for the one for which they were designed.
but did you read this ....

PLEASE NOTE: Buy clicking the buy it now you agree to the plates being made to the current regulations (100% road legal)
i.e Legal spacing, Suppliers Name and Postcode (in small writing at bottom of plate) and the BS mark.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Why do you call then Halfrauds as opposed to Halfords, they seem to have sorted out you number plate for you. Have they upset you somehow?

Cos everybody does !
Started years ago when pretty much everything they sold was either duff or a rip off..

Of course they are much better nowadays ( God that hurt, to admit that ! ) but the name has stuck and used extensively .. I think nowadays it is more a term of endearment rather than one of abuse :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham? Are you seriously saying you have never travelled abroad? Am I missing something here? Are you? I thought dinosaurs were extinct. :roflmto:

Ivy

Of course I've travelled abroad. I've been to Sotland and Wales several times and even on a day trp to the Isle of Wight once :roflmto:

Further than that I've never seen the point. I've never been keen on the actual journey art of any traveling and there are plenty of interesting peple and places to see in the UK.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
You need to be careful of show plates

Show plates are not street legal.. hey may look like a number plate but are missing the details of who issued them and that is a current requirment of the law ..even mu Isle of Man onr for class III scooter does not comply, but there is no requirement to have it shown.. just the disabled road tax disc.. we had it made for use in Europe where disabled scooters all have number plates.

But for the trailer etc., we have had to pay Halfords there expensive rates but they do carry the all important details along the bottom of the number plate.. £60 fine if not on the plate.

Bob

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Show plates are not street legal.. hey may look like a number plate but are missing the details of who issued them and that is a current requirment of the law ..even mu Isle of Man onr for class III scooter does not comply, but there is no requirement to have it shown.. just the disabled road tax disc.. we had it made for use in Europe where disabled scooters all have number plates.

But for the trailer etc., we have had to pay Halfords there expensive rates but they do carry the all important details along the bottom of the number plate.. £60 fine if not on the plate.

Bob

Presumably also an MOT failure ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back