Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Can anyone recommend a dash mount for Garmin Nuvi sat nav. Tried the suction thingy that it came with, it keeps popping off. Don't want to glue it down or screw it on. Windscreen too far away (A-class Rapido 990).:Doh:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i have seen some beanbags for the purpose
but cant remember where:Doh:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Can anyone recommend a dash mount for Garmin Nuvi sat nav. Tried the suction thingy that it came with, it keeps popping off. Don't want to glue it down or screw it on. Windscreen too far away (A-class Rapido 990).:Doh:

I use the double ended ticky pad you may have had it with the kit foung it to be great , and you can peel it off if you decide to sell the van .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
why does it need to be in front of you on the windscreen ?

like yours, my screen is so far away its in the middle of next week, so i fit the 'sucker' mount on the side window...actually its the side of the wrap-round screen...but it looks like you have a side window forward of your driving position

i tried a 'beanbag' mount, but the 'nav' spent more time on the floor every time i took a sharp corner.

if you really need one then any good motor accessory shop will sell them...expect to pay around £10 to £15

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
You may already have bought the beanbag type mounts but I found Link Removed very effective and can be removed with, of all things, dental floss if you don't want to leave it on. Mounted mine dead centre on the document clipboard thingy.

OP
OP
JohnM

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
why does it need to be in front of you on the windscreen ?

like yours, my screen is so far away its in the middle of next week, so i fit the 'sucker' mount on the side window...actually its the side of the wrap-round screen...but it looks like you have a side window forward of your driving position

i tried a 'beanbag' mount, but the 'nav' spent more time on the floor every time i took a sharp corner.

if you really need one then any good motor accessory shop will sell them...expect to pay around £10 to £15

Thanks pj, sorry dident quite make it clear wanted it fitted in the centre of dash for both of us to use

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I use the Arkon type bean bag type in my transit based camper, works fine.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought a plastic clipboard from Asda for less than £1. The suction mount sticks onto that and the whole lot is clipped into the fixed clipboard on the dash - means I can clip documents into the Asda clipboard as well.

The photo shows the TomTom we used to have. Works just as well with the Garmin we have now.

Attachments

• DCP_0025s.jpg
    DCP_0025s.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 46
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I use a Navmat (google it) does what it says on the tin, no movement on dash when in use and easy to transfer between car and M/H:thumb:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We use a Navmat on our Rapido A Class- the windscreen is miles away.
SWMBO originally bought the Navmat for our car because she didn't want the suction cups to leave ring marks on the windscreen.
Most owners when they park will remove the satnav from the windscreen but leave the unit in the car - our Police Officer neighbour says the scrotes look for these marks when deciding which cars to break into.
The Navmat doesn't leave the teltale signs and reduces the chances of a break in (so she says).
We have a Garmin and it stays in place on the Navmat no matter how hard we corner.
Mike

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Halfrauds have discs for £2 each:thumb:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
WHY

Thanks pj, sorry dident quite make it clear wanted it fitted in the centre of dash for both of us to use[/QUOTE

The driver should be concentrating on the driving and NOT the SATNAV. Thats the passengers job (If there is a passenger that is) :Eeek:

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
Better half had a problem with her sucker :Eeek:,
always dropping off :cry:
bought a nuvi attachment that fixes to air vents, got it from Halfords.

one of the central air vents sits fine in a car, no vision impact and swivels.

Cheers
2dogs

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I bought a plastic clipboard from Asda for less than £1. The suction mount sticks onto that and the whole lot is clipped into the fixed clipboard on the dash - means I can clip documents into the Asda clipboard as well.

The photo shows the TomTom we used to have. Works just as well with the Garmin we have now.

good idea that, i,m going to copy it thanks. I,m fed up with mine running around the bleddy cab. You would have thought, that someone could hav come up with an idea that incorporates the "pop up" clipboard thingy and the satnav, would look very nice.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I got one of these:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Universal-Friction-Mount-700/dp/B000LRMS66/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1320753316&sr=8-5[/ame]

when our "lick and stick" one kept falling off. I have to say that while we have travelled over many country roads, potholes, speed bumps etc. that have dislodged the crockery (and broke the handle off my mug!) the satnav has never budged and it's so easy to transfer from car to van. Excellent.
Wyn

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use a large fold-back clip to attach the base of the suction mount part to the front ends of the fold out dash thingy, with it still in it's normal position (we have a Ford). When we're not in the van we have something which we can place on top of the mount so it doesn't appear that we have one and deters thieves.

tan

Free Member
Nov 17, 2009
Braintree. Essex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
3 years
Sat Nav Mount

I have cut up a cd box and put that under the clipboard clip on the peugeot boxer and then stick the sat nav mount to that. easily removed and put in glovebox.

terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

If you're still looking, John, I can recommend Link Removed.

We changed our car 12 days ago. Like you, the screen is too far away to use the suction mount and I didn't want to glue/screw.

The Garmin mount was actually a quid cheaper than the generic one at Halfords and it comes with a replacement for the suction cup part which actually clips firmly into the "bean bag" rather than just a disk for the suction mount to be stuck to.

In the last couple of days we've driven up & down hills, on twisty roads and motorways and absolutely no sign of the mount moving at all.

EDIT:
Just realised this is the same mount that WynandJean recommended.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks pj, sorry dident quite make it clear wanted it fitted in the centre of dash for both of us to use[/QUOTE

The driver should be concentrating on the driving and NOT the SATNAV. Thats the passengers job (If there is a passenger that is) :Eeek:
better not turn on the radio or allow my passengers to talk either then... :Doh::roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back