Perry

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Fiat swift Kontiki
Exp
My 12 yr old (new to me) Fiat Swift Kontiki has bad earthing on the rear lights, if I clip a jump lead to the chassis from the lighting plate it works perfectly. So I need to trace the wiring back which disappears into the fibre body work through a mastic-ed hole. Anyone know where it comes out. It's not accessible through the rear storage compartments, well not obviously anyway.

Thanks Perry.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
My 12 yr old (new to me) Fiat Swift Kontiki has bad earthing on the rear lights, if I clip a jump lead to the chassis from the lighting plate it works perfectly. So I need to trace the wiring back which disappears into the fibre body work through a mastic-ed hole. Anyone know where it comes out. It's not accessible through the rear storage compartments, well not obviously anyway.

Thanks Perry.

Hi and welcome Perry :thumb: why not just make a new earth you are doing it with the jump leads :winky:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi and welcome Perry :thumb: why not just make a new earth you are doing it with the jump leads :winky:
terry

Because if it is caused by chaffing the next wire to be cut may end up with loads of sparks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
.. most likely the earth wire has corroded at the connection on the van chassis.. have a look underneath .. ..

if you cannot locate I would do as suggested by Terry.. run a new wire to the chassis, drill and connect using a brass bolt.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
from underneath, have a look along the chassis towards the rear, there may be a plastic junction box screwed to the chassis rail......my 2001 kontiki had one on both sides for each set of rear lights.

very exposed so could be water ingress into the box causing some corrosion.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
.. most likely the earth wire has corroded at the connection on the van chassis.. have a look underneath .. ..

if you cannot locate I would do as suggested by Terry.. run a new wire to the chassis, drill and connect using a brass bolt.

Not recommended drilling the chassis if it is an Alko chassis, could invalidate any warranty, try and utilise any existing holes in the chassis

OP
OP
P

Perry

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Fiat swift Kontiki
Exp
terry

Yes that's is what I'd like to do, but the existing wiring goes into the bodywork and dissapears. I need to put a new wire in with the exisitng loom, but don't know how to follow it. Maybe the whole rear lower bodywork section containing the lights comes off easily??

ta.

OP
OP
P

Perry

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Fiat swift Kontiki
Exp
Lights Sorted.

Thanks all, spent a happy morning on my back getting gritty eyes - traced the wiring back to the junction box half way down the chassis, and added a new earth into the good old chocolate block connector, without drilling a hole in the metalwork.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back