LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
winds down window ....err which way is it to MARJAL.

as ive never been to Spain i need help of the seasoned traveller ie best place to cross from France,can a motorhome running on gpl go through the tunnels ect,best route or any info to help a lone driver

dave

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
winds down window ....err [HI]which way is it to MARJAL[/HI].

as ive never been to Spain i need help of the seasoned traveller ie best place to cross from France,can a motorhome running on gpl go through the tunnels ect,best route or any info to help a lone driver

dave

Ah, bejeeziz, if I wuz you, I wouldn't start frum 'ere

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
winds down window ....err which way is it to MARJAL.

dave

Regarding the tunnel and LPG.. I think that is a no go..:Sad:

Any port along the south coast will get you across the water.. (Most will anyway):RollEyes:

And head south...

Or come across on the Plymouth to Roscoff ferry on the 25th Nov,..

And follow my wifes directions.. and we`ll get lost together.. :RollEyes::winky::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
depends which way you want to go
dover - calais
plymouth/portsmouth - santander/bilbao.

if traveling overland through France allow 3/4 days travel, if travelling to the spanish ports allow 1 long day or 2 shorter days.

Depends on what you want to do, if a solo traveller and your van is not big it will possibly be cheaper to use the spanish ferry route rather than ferry to calais or one of the other french ports then drive and camp. How much time are you allowing, is it limited to a certain amount

Which ever way you go its relatively easy and im speaking as a female that has done both routes solo on more than one occasion. The hardest thing is if you stay on toll roads cos you have to move to the passenger side to pay at the booths, but its easier in a motorhome than a car to do that

OP
OP
lugnutt

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
sorry i didnt give much info on me ....going via Dover on the 1st march and trundle my way down i will be in a 30' rv it will be one year to the day when i had my stroke so its a
present to myself. sue my partner is not coming as have to get kids to school .the tunnels i refer to are from France to Spain
dave

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I can't find any info that restricts LPG vehicles in tunnels between France & Spain. There will still be snow in the Pyrenees in March and I wonder if going via Bordeaux, Biarritz and crossing into Spain there may be an easier option.
Thread on here that may help you:
Broken Link Removed

There is also one where (I think) Hilldweller and some others put their routes to Spain through France, but I can't find it.

I am doing my first long trip in new motorhome end of November, down to La Zahora-last time I drove a motorhome was about 3 and a half years ago (one trip)
But we can do it!!!!

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hello Hollyberry

Excuse my ignorance, what's at la Zahora? I assume that's near to Granada?

Take it you are with a recovery outfit? so breakdowns would be covered and by travelling at your own pace you will just enjoy the drive.
We have always found that wherever you are in the world that if you need help someone is there to give it, so don't be nervous...

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
sorry i didnt give much info on me ....going via Dover on the 1st march and trundle my way down i will be in a 30' rv it will be one year to the day when i had my stroke so its a
present to myself. sue my partner is not coming as have to get kids to school .the tunnels i refer to are from France to Spain
dave

Ah... I see.. no problems with LPG through tunnels...:thumb:

I thought you meant the Channel Tunnel.. :Doh:

We allways trundle down the West side, because of the likely hood of snow...

But saying that it can be iffy skirting Madrid...

I dont think any where can guarantee no snow even in March, but unlikely..

Although saying that the French & Spanish seem to know how to cope and keep main roads clear..

Unlike the UK where things come to a halt.. :Blush:

Have a safe trip and see you there.. :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hello Hollyberry

Take it you are with a recovery outfit? so breakdowns would be covered and by travelling at your own pace you will just enjoy the drive.
We have always found that wherever you are in the world that if you need help someone is there to give it, so don't be nervous...

This is where most people refer to as Zahora =http://www.campingpinarsanjose.com/

And spend the winter months, basking in the sunshine..::bigsmile:

Well I hope it is anyway....... cos thats where we are heading.. :Doh::winky::ROFLMAO:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hello Hollyberry

http://www.campingpinarsanjose.com/
Recommended by lots of people here and we have our own Fun convoy going down there, which is going to make the journey much more fun! I know exactly why I'm nervous and it's just getting past that, but it'll be fine.
Have taken out European breakdown cover plus replacement vehicle if necessary via my insurance so trying to cover all angles.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I would also head to go down along the west side ( i think its the west side lol) and i would avoid Paris, the N roads are very good so if using sat nav set it for no tolls and it will only then put you on a toll road if it has to.
rough idea of a route for you is calais,abbeville,rouen,chartres,from chartres follow N10 down to bordeaux from there you can either go into spain at bayonne (burgos,madrid,albacete,alicante,elchie)or go down through toulouse to narbonne and take the med motorway straight down to alicante,elchie some of that is toll though or you could take again roads like the n340 once past tarragona and other n roads.
Will say at that time of year you are more likely to hit snow on part of the route through spain around burgos

christine1310

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Southampton
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

We came back from Spain, at the beginning of April this year, through the Somport tunnel - no problems. The road on the French side from Pau can be a bit narrow in places but nothing to worry about. It's the E7 / N134 and you will go through Jaca, Huesca and onto Zaragossa. From there you can go on the A23 to Valencia and the Costa Blanca coast.

Have a good trip.

Christine

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the toll booths can be an issue

depends which way you want to go
dover - calais
plymouth/portsmouth - santander/bilbao.

if traveling overland through France allow 3/4 days travel, if travelling to the spanish ports allow 1 long day or 2 shorter days.

Depends on what you want to do, if a solo traveller and your van is not big it will possibly be cheaper to use the spanish ferry route rather than ferry to calais or one of the other french ports then drive and camp. How much time are you allowing, is it limited to a certain amount

Which ever way you go its relatively easy and im speaking as a female that has done both routes solo on more than one occasion. The hardest thing is if you stay on toll roads cos you have to move to the passenger side to pay at the booths, but its easier in a motorhome than a car to do that

The toll booths can be an issue.. we have a left hand drive RV ..B class .. the hight of the RV means it trips the ticket dispenser at truck hight.. way up above my sitting position.. have to unbelt and climb up on the seat.. grab the ticket and get back in, select drive and move forward before the barrier comes down again.. great fun... but these days do not have that problem as I go on the main roads.. very little differance in time taken, and I save a fortune in tolls.. I mainly drive at night and the roads are clear.. but even in day time, much easier than the UK roads.

NO you cannot take an LPG vehicle in the tunnel.. OK for cooking/heating.. they do check to make sure it is in the closed position before you can board the train.

The route to Spain via France is easy.. plenty of places to stop and stay overnight... we have done it many times.. It is Ok going over Andorra.. except if you have a dog on board... bit of a climb up and over, but there is a tunnel that cuts off the highest climb on the French side of Andorra.. cheap fuel makes it worth while. The Andorra route saves a few miles and an easy run down to the coast. But have also done the run all the way down to the med and along into Spain... Just take your time.. Make sure you have everything you should have and be aware of the rules if you take a toad... fines, and fines... but not a hard run, just long and can be a bit boring on the toll roads.

Bob:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back