Oct 12, 2011
cannock chase
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
im a newbie
hi funsters,
which is the better option for carrying cycles,?

1. to have a cycle rack bolted to the rear of the motorhome .

2. to have a towbar fitted and have a cycle rack fitted on the tow ball.

your advice will be appreciated.
regards pete.:thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, option 3 get a van with a garage. :winky::ROFLMAO:

I think your best bet would be :Smile: 2 to have a towbar fitted and have a cycle rack fitted on the tow ball.

But it will cost the most, but if you ever wanted to tow anything you would have a towbar, and if you wanted electric bikes they are stronger and lower to lift them on and off.

I have one that fits on my car and its very secure and the bikes lock on it, doing 70mph and nothing moves great bit of kit. :thumb: Bob.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hedgefordpete

hedgefordpete

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
cannock chase
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
im a newbie
hi bob, thanks for the advice, that is the way that i am looking to jump.
i will be at the dealers tomorrow so i will check on their prices for fitting.
then i can shop around for prices.

regards pete.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, option 3 get a van with a garage. :winky::ROFLMAO:

I think your best bet would be :Smile: 2 to have a towbar fitted and have a cycle rack fitted on the tow ball.

But it will cost the most, but if you ever wanted to tow anything you would have a towbar, and if you wanted electric bikes they are stronger and lower to lift them on and off.
. :thumb: Bob.

Good thinking,we are about to get electric bikes and I did have concerns about the height of our current rack. I do have a Thule tow bar fitting rack for the car.

Mike

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Good thinking,we are about to get electric bikes and I did have concerns about the height of our current rack. I do have a Thule tow bar fitting rack for the car.

Mike

I had two full size leci bikes on the bike rack heavy to lift up:Sad:, not only that I went over a level crossing in Cornwall at a (low speed) but the far side of it was quite a drop the result being the rack slipped and bent, and dropped down about 2 foot then fortunatly caught again but very lucky they didn't damage the van rear panel, I sold them when we got back and bought 2 folders for under the bed. Pete

Upvote 0

williat1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2008
Pontrhydyfen, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2001
Bike rack on tow ball

Hi,

I've got a Thule two bike carrier which clamps to the towball. I wouldn't recommend it. No matter how tight I adjust the clamp for the towball the rack swivels on the ball.
I've had to make a tie rod to prevent this happening.

The best rack I've had is a Witter which had a bottom fixing which was permanently bolted behind the towball using the towball fixing bolts. The rack was stable and could be quickly removed from the bottom fixing when not in use. One slight disadvantage was the height the bikes had to be lifted onto the rack.

Regards

Williat1

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi,

I've got a Thule two bike carrier which clamps to the towball. I wouldn't recommend it. No matter how tight I adjust the clamp for the towball the rack swivels on the ball.

The best rack I've had is a Witter which had a bottom fixing which was permanently bolted behind the towball using the towball fixing bolts. The rack was stable and could be quickly removed from the bottom fixing when not in use. One slight disadvantage was the height the bikes had to be lifted onto the rack.

Regards

Williat1

Hi, that's what we have, is the ball clean and dry or maybe its not tight enough on the ball, have you adjusted it with the allen key, we have never had any problem with ours. :Smile: Bob.

Like this:

Attachments

• Thule euroclassic pro 902 002.jpg
    Thule euroclassic pro 902 002.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi,

Regards
Williat1

Never had slightest problem with ours-and the ability to tilt it backwards with 2 bikes on it to open the boot has been great.
Mike

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Depends on whether you will have any use for a towbar as having one fitted plus the cost of a tow ball mounted one will be quite costly, rough guess about £500 plus

I would go for a standard Fiamma rack, max cost under £200 fitted

Peter

Upvote 0

DUKEMAN358

Free Member
Oct 27, 2011
HAMPSHIRE
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Hi I'm just about to collect my MH and am having a towbar fitted so I can tow but I also wanted to know if it ok to just have the tow bar attached cycle rack but I guess you cant tow with it fitted? If I have a cycle rack fitted and carry bikes will that get in the way of the trailer? I've been told that I need a special cycle rack because of the window.

I also thought if I sell the MH I would still have the cycle rack but if it is fitted then it goes with the van.

Be nice to know the best combination.

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi I'm just about to collect my MH and am having a towbar fitted so I can tow but I also wanted to know if it ok to just have the tow bar attached cycle rack but I guess you cant tow with it fitted? If I have a cycle rack fitted and carry bikes will that get in the way of the trailer? I've been told that I need a special cycle rack because of the window.

I also thought if I sell the MH I would still have the cycle rack but if it is fitted then it goes with the van.

Be nice to know the best combination.

Hi, on our previous camper we had a towbar and I found a cycle-rack that bolted behind the ball itself so we could tow with bikes on the rack, on ebay. There is quite a selection to choose from - ours cost about £35. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back