Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
The waste water drain on my MH needs some attention - I assume it's not unusual for this to block with grease etc. but I want to change the arrangement somewhat as well as cleaning it.

Currently there is a length of grey plastic corrugated hose (32mm?) with a valve on the end. This locates into a spring clip on the underside of the van while in transit, and is unclipped and dropped into the side inlet on a black waste water container whilst on site. The whole arrangement needs re-vamping, finding the spring clip by touch alone is an awful fiddle, the valve is very stiff, and the weight of the full container is considerable when having to lug it to a waste water disposal.

So - something like a wastemaster is an obvious step - there's a few on e-bay, or can you lot recommend an alternative? Also I'd like to replace the dangly valve and hose with a more solid arrangement that doesn't require me to fiddle about under the van - anyone done a similar conversion?

As usual all advice and help gratefully received. :thumb:

Mike

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
The waste water drain on my MH needs some attention - I assume it's not unusual for this to block with grease etc. but I want to change the arrangement somewhat as well as cleaning it.

Currently there is a length of grey plastic corrugated hose (32mm?) with a valve on the end. This locates into a spring clip on the underside of the van while in transit, and is unclipped and dropped into the side inlet on a black waste water container whilst on site. The whole arrangement needs re-vamping, finding the spring clip by touch alone is an awful fiddle, the valve is very stiff, and the weight of the full container is considerable when having to lug it to a waste water disposal.

So - something like a wastemaster is an obvious step - there's a few on e-bay, or can you lot recommend an alternative? Also I'd like to replace the dangly valve and hose with a more solid arrangement that doesn't require me to fiddle about under the van - anyone done a similar conversion?

Mike

I had a similar arrangement to yours on my previous Elddis Van, they are basically the same I guess.
I fitted an additional small length of hose with an instantaneous coupling onto the existing grey hose. It hung down, but well clear of the ground but was easier to get to.

I then left the valve open, (ours was also a bit stiff to turn), as the instantaneous coupling stopped the waste water flowing out. When parked up I connected another short length of hose, via the coupling and this went into our Fiamma 23 litre waste can with wheels under the van which was then easy to take to the disposal point.

We bought the waste can on Ebay for about £18 in as new condition.:thumb:

Callum

Link Removed

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our old Elddis Autocirrus had a waste drain as you describe.

We put in a proper slide valve and rigid pipe to speed up emptying. The original drain wasn't even at the bottom of the tank!!!!!! :Angry:

Your local Koi and garden pond retailer should have all the right kit for you! Click the link below for an example of stuff from our local dealer. Alternatively, look at Cak Tank's website.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for the 'like' Jim!
I wonder if a garden pond UV sterilising tube in your fresh tank would ensure clean water as well? :Smile:

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
things like grease, milk etc is what eventually gives off nasty niffs in the van usually eminating from the shower as this has the shortest pipe to the holding tank. We tend to use a plastic bottle to tip said items in and then pour them straight into the waste disposal point, that way there is no build up of grease etc in the pipe/holding tank

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
To avoid smells fit these instead of the caravan drainers fitted by British MH manufacturers!

Link Removed

Our Chausson came with these as standard. They incorporate a trap and guess what?
NO SMELLS!!!!!!!::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
To avoid smells fit these instead of the caravan drainers fitted by British MH manufacturers!

Link Removed

Our Chausson came with these as standard. They incorporate a trap and guess what?
NO SMELLS!!!!!!!::bigsmile:

What is the double syphon bit about? Why two outlets? Not sure I understand this sorry.:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The Smev drainers come with a blank, so they can be used as a single outlet drain too. I think the intention is that you can link them together to save on drain hose!

The design of the drain incorporates an integral water trap which mimics a u-bend like you find in your house.

They are a very compact unit which negates the need for additional anti-smell measures.:Smile:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
They are a very compact unit which negates the need for additional anti-smell measures.:Smile:
thereby allowing you to be blissfully aware that the tank is filling up with grease etc easier to keep the tank clean in the first place I think. Empty often clean a few times a year. Always wipe plates and dishes with kitchen towel before washing up.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
thereby allowing you to be blissfully aware that the tank is filling up with grease etc easier to keep the tank clean in the first place I think. Empty often clean a few times a year. Always wipe plates and dishes with kitchen towel before washing up.

Or have a waste tank with a large discharge valve actually at it's bottom, thus allowing rapid and complete emptying!::bigsmile:

We do flush ours from time to time though!!!!!! We also put the plugs in when the van is stood for a while, because the drain down procedure in colder months requires emptying the traps to avoid frost damage!

I never said the Smev units were without disadvantages!!!!::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Mike
Same sort of arrangement on our van - not surprisingly :Smile: Finding the spring clip by touch becomes easier as you get used to it though. I agree about the grey taps being stiff; as an alternative you can use a water butt tap (I've got one fitted currently as the grey one got damaged).

For transporting the full grey waste container I use a lightweight trolley (about £10-£12) with bungees to keep the container in place. Heck of a lot cheaper than a wastemaster and easier to store.

To keep the waste system clean I use Buster kitchen sink fresh down all three plug holes after every trip.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
For transporting the full grey waste container I use a lightweight trolley (about £10-£12) with bungees to keep the container in place. Heck of a lot cheaper than a wastemaster and easier to store.

Now why didn't I think of that? So simple :Doh:

Thanks Graham, and all others who posted.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
For transporting our waste water i use a colapsible 15L water carrier means i have to empty it more often than using bigger carrier but it just folds down into cupboard when not using.

Just like this one.
Link Removed

We also use a basin in the sink so we can stop as much food residue going down waste.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back