Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Out driving yesterday came to a big hill and thought here's an opportunity to use my seldom operated 'up' button (Comfortmatic Gearbox). Upon tapping the said button I was bitterly disappointed to see it disappear through it's hole into the bowels of the dashboard. This got me thinking about the whole issue of quality in motorhomes, buy a cheap car and you expect basic equipment, pay 50/60 grand for a car and you get top of the range luxury. This clearly does not apply to vans, a £60k motorhome driver sits looking at the same dash and equipment as a £15k delivery van driver. Surely base vehicle manufacturers could come up with an up market adaptation of their cab designs for use in motorhomes.
Rant over, now does anyone know how to get my up button back?
Geoff.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Would you say the build quality is better on American base vehicle vans ???.

I certainly think mine is. I am happy driving sat in white leather seats, with nice carpet on the floor, and within reaching distance from the windscreen, not having to release the handbrake to swivel the seats.
Some of the euro conversions are so far from the screen i wonder how they ever get to clean it! Mine appears to have been made as a motorhome from the outset, not, as was said, still looking like a van from the drivers point of view.

Craig

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I certainly think mine is. I am happy driving sat in white leather seats, with nice carpet on the floor, and within reaching distance from the windscreen, not having to release the handbrake to swivel the seats.
Some of the euro conversions are so far from the screen i wonder how they ever get to clean it! Mine appears to have been made as a motorhome from the outset, not, as was said, still looking like a van from the drivers point of view.

Craig

You are comparing USRV A class with European C class ..

to be fair you have to compare the USRV C class .. with it's EU counterpart

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV

Yes, you are quite right Jim. I have not owned a USRV C class, although i have rented them, and to be fair, they are not the bees knees when it comes to quality. Maybe thats because they were basic rental models.

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Geoff,you may have to get the dealers to reset your vans brain :Sad: As to vans they are all made for white van man :thumb: When you think about it it is had to justify even a 5k extra price tag on a basic van to top of the range.:Smile:It all comes down to the converters and what they ask for on the base vehicle :thumb: A 35k m/h will want a pretty basic chassis cab while a 70k one will want all the extras :thumb: thus reflecting in the price.Bare in mind you can get 2 x 35k vans for the price of one 70k one :ROFLMAO: but they will have cost just about the same to convert each one-say 10 k each -the rest comes from the perceived quality the converter can get for his perceived better van :winky:
terry

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:ROFLMAO: thats why i bought a [ a class pilote ] not a hymer/ nissman bread van a lot of others also leave the dash standard pilote dont ?? :thumb:

OP
OP
EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
:ROFLMAO: thats why i bought a [ a class pilote ] not a hymer/ nissman bread van a lot of others also leave the dash standard pilote dont ?? :thumb:
Agreed its not such an issue among A class owners, some very comfortable cab designs among those, although I'm sure many would appreciate a pair of substantial cab doors.
(Off to see if I can get my button back now)
Geoff.

OP
OP
EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Eureka!!!

Got me 'Up' button back - managed to release the plastic cover around the gear selector to get at it.Broken Link Removed
Feel free to continue the discussion on (lack of) quality.
Geoff.:Smile:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

Agreed Jim, but I have owned US van conversions B, C, and Aclass and the dashboards and level of equipment are 90% of the time far better quality and more of it .

All the best Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back