urgent help reqd. with electrics (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Currently on site at Cote Ghyll nr. Osmotherly, on EHU.

MH has panel with meter and 3 switches - Pump off/on on left, aux/veh switch on right, centre switch is normally up, marked water, can be held down. Meter has two scales, one Empty to Full (obviously water) the other volts. I've assumed meter reads water tank level and when switch held down reads battery voltage - previously always been around 12v. or so.
Never been really sure what aux/veh switch does, I guess it prioritises which battery gets charged by engine/mains charger?

Anyway - after over 24 hours on EHU idly flipped the switch to see battery condition - reads zero whether aux or veh selected. Tried disconnecting EHU, seems to be plenty life in both aux and veh battery, but meter still reads zero.

No major prob at the moment but I hate not knowing what's going on - can anyone throw any light on this?

craig.drake

Free Member
Oct 3, 2010
queensbury
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since may 2010
same as mine when igition is on or the switch near the door is switched off

the veh/hab switch means you can use power from whichever its switched to (thats how i understand it)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be a faulty panel or faulty switch or a blown fuse

if you have a volt/multi meter, connect it to the battery and check voltage...then unplug hookup and check again.
voltage will be slightly lower off hookup if the charger is working

and yes, the aux/veh switch changes the power source from hab to engine battery and also will charge whichever one is selected when on hookup

the centre position isolates both batteries and 12v power is take from the charger only

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
could be a faulty panel or faulty switch or a blown fuse

None of which is a problem and can be sorted later, as long as I'm not in danger of flattening batteries?

Main switch near door is "on" and ignition is "off"

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
centre switch is normally up, marked water, can be held down. Meter has two scales, one Empty to Full (obviously water) the other volts. I've assumed meter reads water tank level and when switch held down reads battery voltage - previously always been around 12v. or so.

It's the other way about, Mike. It shows the water level (always fictitious) when held down. When at normal position it shows the battery lever (aux or veh).

Never been really sure what aux/veh switch does, I guess it prioritises which battery gets charged by engine/mains charger?

No, it's which battery is being used to power the 12 volt system so should normally be left in the aux position. The mains (EHU) charger only charges the aux battery unless a battery charge master has been fitted. The alternator charges the veh battery and the aux battery.

I have a pdf version of the 2003 Explorer Motorhome Handbook which should be there or thereabouts for your van as well. If you send me a PM with your e-mail address I'll be happy to send it as an attachment.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry Graham, but if it can use either battery via the switch, then it can charge either battery.
Not in the Explorer group vans, John. From the manual:
Aux/Veh
When the switch is in the ‘Veh’ position the motorhome 12-volt system is powered from the vehicle battery. When it is in the ‘Aux’ position it is powered from the motorhome’s auxiliary battery or the 12-volt charger/power supply if the motorhome is connected to a 230-volt supply. It is recommended that the motorhome be used in the ‘Veh’ position sparingly as prolonged use without running the engine can flatten the vehicle battery.

The first winter we had the van we inadvertently knocked the switch from aux to veh one evening. The van was on EHU at the time but the veh battery was flat in the morning.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Many thanks to all, much clearer now what does what!

No flat batteries this morning, back home now after great weekend - can thoroughly recommend Cote Gyhll site near Osmotherly - nice pubs in village.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not in the Explorer group vans, John. From the manual:

The first winter we had the van we inadvertently knocked the switch from aux to veh one evening. The van was on EHU at the time but the veh battery was flat in the morning.
there's always a converter who has to skimp on the wiring :Doh:...swift group do it right

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back