Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
australia
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
:Eeek:hi everyone
I am in a spanish site where the power point has no earth. I am in an amercian rv which has a power conversion. To my shook i found my chassies was alive with 110 volts as all my jacks were on timber chocks. When i plug in the power tester it shows reverse l/n but i changed these over and it has made no difference. I grounded one jack and now i am only showing 2.6 volts in the chassie. What should i do.
paul

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in my opinion you did the correct thing by earthing the chassis....but the wire needs to be of sufficient size and the earth 'spike' needs to be deep enough.
to be sure i would use 10mmsq earth wire and drive the spike in around 2ft (600mm)

Are you sure there is no earth at the post, are you checking earth with the socket tester ?

What type of plug is at the hookup post.... Spanish (domestic) 2 pin.....euro (standard H/U lead type) 3 pin ???

the Spanish/French type are generally earthed via a contact plate at the side of the plug and does not have an earth pin, though some do have an earth pin in the SOCKET rather than the plug which has a hole for the pin.

if there is definitely no earth on any other available posts, I would consider moving to another site which is earthed

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Just to be on the safe side:ROFLMAO:

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
If the earth on your electric hook up cable is broken or disconnected, you could get this problem, and because there is no earth, the RCD sees no issue, so does not trip.

If it ain't the hook up lead you need to get a auto electrician to sort it out.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
sounds nasty hope you dont go up in smoke
do you know how your RV has been wired on the 240 volt
you should not be getting 110V from the site supply

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds nasty hope you dont go up in smoke
do you know how your RV has been wired on the 240 volt
you should not be getting 110V from the site supply
It appears there's an earth fault on the 110v side, faulty appliance etc, but as there's no earth the 230v RCD cant trip.

strangely it appears, after fitting a temporary earth, the breaker still isn't tripping.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It appears there's an earth fault on the 110v side.

I'd take a stab at it being an neon indicator wired 110 live to earth. Can't be much current if a relatively poor earth drags it down to 2.5V. Could even be intentional to show a good earth.

This assumes that somewhere where there is a 220-->110 transformer and one side of the 110V winding is connected to chassis.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
we used to get similar things happening on the mains distro that we used in the P.A. systems there were 3 neons that used to light to show various states of connection.
and basically if the red or the orange one was lit there was a problem.
and we always used to get a problem of no earth at a university site because they had a transformer isolated supply to the stage.

OP
OP
P

pkurzok

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
australia
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
thanks

hi guys
i pull there power pole apart to find no earth cable going to the plug at all.
so what i will do is to make plug up with a eart cable coming out of it and drive my own eath peg into the ground. my rv does have 110 step dow transformer and a 240 step up of the gen set. does the earth spike have to 2 foot long.:Smile:
by the way thanks for your advice i thought this would be the action.
how can campsite get away with this as you stay the rcd would not work
bloody dangerous more dangerous than my a frame:Angry:
paul

OP
OP
P

pkurzok

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
australia
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
the campsite is los delfines

this campsite i am at make up your own minds to stay or not:winky:
paul

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
what you have to realise Paul, is the spanish seem to get away with whatever they please....EU regulations are for picking and choosing from as far as they are concerned. :roflmto:

RE earth spike length.......the longer the better.
in a domestic house situation where an earth spike is necessary (not often these days) it will be 1.4mtrs long, driven flush to the ground, with a 10mmsq cable to the main consumer unit

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
It sound to me as if the supply is run from a center tapped transformer, basically 3 connections 110v, 0v and 110 the 0v center tap should be the earth connection, in practice its another matter, so with 110v on the live and neutral wires it equals 220v, easy to test put a meter across the live and neutral.

a further check from each wire (live and neutral) to your earth rod should read 110v

The above explains why you found 110v on your chassis.

Nick

OP
OP
P

pkurzok

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
australia
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
i am going to make lead with my own earth spike for this sitiuation problem solved

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back