LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Bt have emailed to say we are reaching our limit for the month. we do not download music or films. We come on fun everyday check emails ect have been using skype a bit talking to friends does skype use a lot, if so would it be better just talking without vidieo on. not very techi so appreciate input.

Kate x

Last edited:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Use skype without video - video uses a LOT more bandwidth than voice :Smile:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Is your wi-fi password protected.....are all your neighbors downloading films by piggy-backing yours?

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Or you could change to a real unlimited provider...........sky have always been good and very cheap if you use other services as well.

barry

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Is your wi-fi password protected.....are all your neighbors downloading films by piggy-backing yours?

HOW DO YOU protect wifi password ?????:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Have a look at your router instructions, it should all be in there. I cant remember how to do it unfortunately.

Peter

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
If you are using a BT router, and you probably are, it came with a passcode that you would have had to put into your computer when you first installed the BT software and set the contract up. If you prompted your computer to remember it, you will have forgotten that you did this bit of security. At least I hope that is the case! Jane :Smile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Bt have emailed to say we are reaching our limit for the month. we do not download music or films. We come on fun everyday check emails ect have been using skype a bit talking to friends does skype use a lot, if so would it be better just talking without vidieo on. not very techi so appreciate input.

Kate x
BT are a rip off we went over to virgin media much better than BT and cheaper

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
If you are using a BT router, and you probably are, it came with a passcode that you would have had to put into your computer when you first installed the BT software and set the contract up. If you prompted your computer to remember it, you will have forgotten that you did this bit of security. At least I hope that is the case! Jane :Smile:

thanks Jane,
Yes we did all that, well Bill did so we are secure so it must be skype then. I have had a new phone which when at home i do connect to my wi fi instead of using my phone broadband. I do have bbc news on that and dailymail so i suppose i could be creeping up the useage. I dont download films or music so thought we would be ok.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We switched to Sky for the free broadband earlier this year after having problems with TalkTalk and assumed the 2gb a month on their free BB would be enough, particularly as we never used anything like that on the dongle whilst away. Hmm wishful thinking! We've now been moved up to unlimited with Sky after breaching the limit, and charged £7.50 for the privilege.

We don't download anything like films or music, the usual software updates, read FUN, emails, the Daily Mail (well, someone has to admit it), all the usual stuff so I wonder how much we are using. :Sad:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You can get unlimited usage on BT (at a price) its what we use at home.We use a T-Mobile dongle when away.

My stepson uses Sky but is not impressed, it seems to go down frequently. It's probably a local thing.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
You can get unlimited usage on BT (at a price) its what we use at home.We use a T-Mobile dongle when away.

My stepson uses Sky but is not impressed, it seems to go down frequently. It's probably a local thing.

We have totally BT unlimited broadband at £9.99 per month. Each year for the last 3 years we say we will leave if they don't do some price matching when the 12 months contract expires.
They then reduce the price, it's actually getting cheaper every year.:thumb:

We are happy with speed and connection.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Where we live its best to use BT, that way when things go wrong, you are talking to the people who can do something about it, rather than a third party who will be leasing off BT anyway and getting BT to look into the problem. We are on BT copper wire only, any other provider needs BT to sort stuff out for them; but they don't know the name of the area engineer or have his mobile, I do::bigsmile: In my experience BT are best in rural areas as every company uses their infrastructure anyway. Must be nice to have a real choice with cable etc.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Have been with Virgin high speed broadband for a few years, 5 computer household use Skype with video most days. never had a problem.:thumb: Skype with video is probably your problem it is a high usage process.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
In my experience BT are best in rural areas as every company uses their infrastructure anyway. Must be nice to have a real choice with cable etc.

I feel the pain:cry:

Not forgetting folks, alot of the smaller ISPs are actually owned by BT - and you can get some good deals horse trading between them, as 9 times out of 10 you cant get all the other deals from sky etc if you live out in the sticks 'cause "your out of the network area...but we can do you a great deal for EEEK amount"

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Where we live its best to use BT, that way when things go wrong, you are talking to the people who can do something about it, rather than a third party who will be leasing off BT anyway and getting BT to look into the problem. We are on BT copper wire only, any other provider needs BT to sort stuff out for them; but they don't know the name of the area engineer or have his mobile, I do::bigsmile: In my experience BT are best in rural areas as every company uses their infrastructure anyway. Must be nice to have a real choice with cable etc.

We are in the same situation as you Jim, living rural miles from echange better of with bt. Just cannot understand how we are using so much. They have sent me a link so i can keep an eye on it daily so will let you all know what we find in the next few weeks. I think its got to be Skype.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Where we live its best to use BT, that way when things go wrong, you are talking to the people who can do something about it, rather than a third party who will be leasing off BT anyway and getting BT to look into the problem. [HI]We are on BT copper wire only[/HI], any other provider needs BT to sort stuff out for them; but they don't know the name of the area engineer or have his mobile, I do::bigsmile: In my experience BT are best in rural areas as every company uses their infrastructure anyway. Must be nice to have a real choice with cable etc.

No mention of Pony Express there then Jim...................:ROFLMAO:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Tap in to smudgers hes never of is and he down loads a lot of stuff mucky old man:Blush::Blush:

OP
OP
Ambilkate

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
update

UPDATE...Well after numerous phonecalls to BT and literally pulling my hair out threatend to leave them was put through to department that offered us 3 times more broadband than what we were getting and get this nearly a tenner cheaper than my old package. So outcome was £120 better of a year 3xmore broadband. They said it was proberbly skype that was using my download, but with 3xtimes more broadband now not to bothered will keep an eye on it now though:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back