Wind power ..Rutland/Marlec info needed (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Next year we are thinking of buying a wind generator to help us when we cannot not be on EHU or to save the running of the 4 kw genny (built in to the Winnebago).

I tend to research long and wide, and part of that is to canvas views from those that have or are using them.

I have noticed a suitable Rutland 914i made by the UK firm of Marlec.. anyone got one or can tell me how they get on with a wind generator

I am looking for the following information:

1) what does it produce in normal use in watts per hour / day

2) how easy is it to put up and down

3) can you take the blades off easy or is it a case of transporting as a 39' wide / high unit?

4) the plus and and minus of having one

5) the regulator you recommend or use.. again pros and cons.

Thanks

Bob:thumb:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I would save the fuel that way

Bob,If you reverse the wiring and fit some wings you should be able to fly your RV to gatherings:ROFLMAO:

Oops not quite the info you were looking for:Doh:

Yes, very good:ROFLMAO:... would save a lot of fuel that way.. but I stll beg an answer if any one knows?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I haven't used a Rutland wind generator, Bob, but seeing as you've had a dearth of replies here's a couple of pennorth.

From what I've heard a horizontal axis generator can be fairly noisy and can cause vibration if the pole it is mounted on is not rock solid. I saw one on an RV at Stratford Show this year (near the water tap we used before the bowser arrived) and the mounting pole seemed to be attached to the rear ladder with substantial clamps plus went all the way to the ground.

It may be worth looking at the Forgen 500NT which is similar to the one which Ray (Dingray) has. From being pitched next to him several times in the last year or so I can testify that it causes no noise or vibration. It's much more compact that a horizontal axis generator and doesn't need a regulator.

You could have a word with Dave (Snowbird) as well because he has been using the Link Removed for a while.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I looked at the Forgan and the Maplin BUT

I haven't used a Rutland wind generator, Bob, but seeing as you've had a dearth of replies here's a couple of pennorth.

From what I've heard a horizontal axis generator can be fairly noisy and can cause vibration if the pole it is mounted on is not rock solid. I saw one on an RV at Stratford Show this year (near the water tap we used before the bowser arrived) and the mounting pole seemed to be attached to the rear ladder with substantial clamps plus went all the way to the ground.

It may be worth looking at the Forgen 500NT which is similar to the one which Ray (Dingray) has. From being pitched next to him several times in the last year or so I can testify that it causes no noise or vibration. It's much more compact that a horizontal axis generator and doesn't need a regulator.

You could have a word with Dave (Snowbird) as well because he has been using the Link Removed for a while.

Thanks for your input.. thought no one was going to give me some feedback.. I did send a pm to Dave, and he answered, but did not really tell me a lot. I note the can type produce a lot less power than the bladed type from reading various sales blurb.

The Maplin, which is cheap seems to have very bad reviews on there site.. no one had a good word for it, so that is off the list. The blade type v the can type cost wise seems to be not a million miles apart.. a good set up around £1k with a decent regulator.

The can type appeals as it seens more compact and easier to carry and set up, but produces not a lot of watts. Where as the Marlec - Rutland series seems to produce about 90w in 19 knot wind and has a start up speed of a few knots..

I did see both going full pelt at Lincoln, but the owners were never about, one was beside a Hymer, the other liked like the smallest of the Marlec Rutland series.

I do not have the roof space for solar and as I am unable to climb the ladder these days (Wheelchair) I cannot clean it.. The self seeking systems are expensive and the only roof area I have has a saterlite dome that would block low sun. So it is either buy a 2 kw Honda genny and only use the 4 kw on the chassis for the micro wave ..save a about half the fuel I use normally or consider a wind farm:cry:

Anyway if anyone has some views or owns one please let me know

Thanks

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Wind generators are popular with yattys and boat owners take a trip to a marina or a chandlers for good info.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Wind generators are never going to be as efficient on a motorhome as solar panels because of there sheer size. I knew when I bought mine that it wouldn't compared with solars. I have a good solar system and wanted the wind generator as a backup. £ for£ you are better spending your money on solars but when you have enough solars on the roof its good to have that little bit extra that's trickle charging 24/7 day and night. Don't forget though,it will only trickle charge,it wont run an RVs electrics unless you have a huge wind genny making more noise than a Kipor.:ROFLMAO:
Mine does the job that I bought it for and am very happy with it,the only people that give them bad reports are the ones that dont do there sums and expect more bang for there buck,or in other words,expect more for nothing.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
bump as i need to hear from an owner

bump, as i would like to hear from an owner of a wind genny - blade type...please

Bob

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
No personal experience, but you might get some helpful information from someone who supplies both wind generators (Rutland) and PV panels. We had a panel fitted by Aire & Sun in May - a very professional job - and Stephen, the proprietor is very knowledgable. Motorhome installations are just part of his area of operation - he also instals larger off-grid systems. Why not give him a call? I'm sure he can advise you.
http://www.aireandsun.co.uk/index.php

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
helpful person

No personal experience, but you might get some helpful information from someone who supplies both wind generators (Rutland) and PV panels. We had a panel fitted by Aire & Sun in May - a very professional job - and Stephen, the proprietor is very knowledgable. Motorhome installations are just part of his area of operation - he also instals larger off-grid systems. Why not give him a call? I'm sure he can advise you.
http://www.aireandsun.co.uk/index.php

I have spoken to him on the telephone, very helpful..

Thanks for the contact details.

hazel1

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
chesterfield
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
wind generator

hi i have not got one yet but hav looked into it, to stop noise u buy a pole put it under wheel, u hav seen the poles that advertise at the show the ones with long flags well look at the poles and u will c a number phone them order pole the cost is approx £100 the pole goes under wheel u then put two handels the suction ones half way up the van side a piece of thick sponge between the van and pole put bungie around handels and pole to secure cannot b stolen no vibration i am getting one for the winter sorry dont know how much power it generates talking to owners its money well spent :thumb::bigsmile:ave & hazel x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back