Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
:Smile:
I suspect I may need some for the new van.

Just looked at Halfords... £8.00 BLIMEY....

Check if you really do need them first. We discovered that there is a lever behind our headlamps to change them for continental.
Ask the manufacturer

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Anyone ever buy them for a European vehicle going to UK? Last year I was told the UK ones were no good for my car when going from France to the UK.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
havent used anything fr years .but used to use black insulation tape . always worked for me .
used it on lhd cars here as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Anyone ever buy them for a European vehicle going to UK? Last year I was told the UK ones were no good for my car when going from [HI]France to the UK[/HI].

havent used anything fr years .but used to use [HI]black insulation tape [/HI]. always worked for me .

Left-hand drive Link Removed

Many of the newer vehicles have plastic headlights which can be damaged by heat when using insulation tape......glass lamps are fine

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
also a lot of the new ones just dip up and down ahead not rh/lh. i havent used anything for years , i try not to drive at night. i prefer to enjoy the journey. look at the scenery .
have seen some a bit marked after using those stick on grey things with lines and circles on .

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
havent used anything fr years .but used to use black insulation tape . always worked for me .

same for me i use black insulation tape all the time, got plastic head lights too and never had any trouble

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I have got a set of Headlight protectors on which I have placed my Beam Benders.

Fix the protectors when driving abroad so obey the relevant road law, remove them when back in UK so obeying UK road law.

This is for a 2005, Type 3 Ducato,

Simples

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
check if you have glass headlamps Dave.....if they are plastic you'll never get the glue off when you remove them !

Oops... should have read the other posts first

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
The thing is you have to have them fitted when you go across the water it's OK saying don't drive at night but if the gendarmes give you a tug and they ain't fitted..Merci Mon Ami pay up....I remember queueing for the boat at Dover and starting to fit my beam benders and a guy said to me ..Oh you don't need them they gendarmes won't bother you..all the same I said I'll fit em..good job I did the gendarmes were there as we were all coming out of the dock at Calais and pulling us all over away you go he said to me.. The other guy....No pull over there sir!! and pay up just what you want on day 1 of your tour!!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
The thing is you have to have them fitted when you go across the water it's OK saying don't drive at night but if the gendarmes give you a tug and they ain't fitted..Merci Mon Ami pay up....I remember queueing for the boat at Dover and starting to fit my beam benders and a guy said to me ..Oh you don't need them they gendarmes won't bother you..all the same I said I'll fit em..good job I did the gendarmes were there as we were all coming out of the dock at Calais and pulling us all over away you go he said to me.. The other guy....No pull over there sir!! and pay up just what you want on day 1 of your tour!!

VERY WISE ADVICE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Plus
its the law, your in a foreighn country, why flout it? :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
again back to eu law. if you have type aproval in one country you dont have to make any adjustments to visit another eu country .but be prepared to argue and stand your ground.
luckily i have a copy of the type aproval for mine.
we should all have flip up head lights fitted that would --ck the gandarmes.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I have got a set of Headlight protectors on which I have placed my Beam Benders.

Fix the protectors when driving abroad so obey the relevant road law, remove them when back in UK so obeying UK road law.

This is for a 2005, Type 3 Ducato,

Simples

We also have these, only take a couple of minutes to fit on.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I always fit some to my car when we go on a (fairly frequent) booze cruise, but rather than paying a stupid price for the official ones I just use ones I bought ages ago as a stencil and cut out a stack from 'sticky back plastic' as recommended by Blue Peter.:Smile:

The van has tiny headlamps and is French anyway so I assume it is OK not to use them (if the stickers were bigger than a penny there would be no light getting out at all).

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
again back to eu law. if you have type aproval in one country you dont have to make any adjustments to visit another eu country .but be prepared to argue and stand your ground.
luckily i have a copy of the type aproval for mine.
we should all have flip up head lights fitted that would --ck the gandarmes.

I don't know Alan, all I would say is that to my knowledge, when abroad, driving at night (which I often do ) my headlights shine in the direction of the face of the oncoming car, thus making it difficult for them to see, and possibly being dangerous in extreme sittuations.

Can't see why I would want to do that? not too the French anyway, might be Frankie or Hollyberry coming the other way, wouldn't want to crash in to them, would you?

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just searched for FIAT DUCATO HEADLAMP PROTECTORS, they are asking for up to £40.... Is this a typical price?
Or

Am I looking at the wrong thing?

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
That sounds about right, we have had ours for about 4 years and think they were about £30.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi haggers . i dont drive at night . as said before i like the scenery. plus i like the arguements with authority. never been challenged about the lights yet.(will be now).
night times for parking up and tasting the falling down water.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back