Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Got to get away this weekend, seeing as we've never been there, the New Forest has sprang to mind, anyone got any tips, where to stay, stuff to do?

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Got to get away this weekend, seeing as we've never been there, the New Forest has sprang to mind, anyone got any tips, where to stay, stuff to do?

I go to the New Forest quite often as I live just 20 minutes or so away. The two forestry sites open at the moment are Sethorns and Holmsley. Sethorns is a nice location, but no facilities, while Holmsley has hook up etc. Google is your friend for these.

If you like cycling them bikes are a must as there are loads of cycle trails and the riding is fairly easy. Walking is lovely in the forest too and information on things to do can be found in the wardens offices.

Lymington, Beaulieu and other places by the sea are close by, but M/H parking can be difficult in these places.

I am at Holmsley campsite this weekend so if you decide to come to the forest look out for the funster sticker on my windscreen.:thumb:

Stuart

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Darklord, just to say if you do meet up with Stuart you will find him really enjoyable company, a fun man and very knowledgeable on maintenance of your motorhome. Hope you have a wonderful break. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Ta, will definatley be there, going to borrow soem bikes from family just to give it a go::bigsmile:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Sethorns is a nice location, but no facilities, while Holmsley has hook up etc.

I was at Setthorns this time last year the weekend leading into the half-term break. It was very busy....in fact, the New Forest total was very busy and agree that parking was tricky. Not just in the towns, but at any pub/restaurant. The weather was very good 12 months ago though.

Lymington Saturday evening was OK for parking but there are market stalls on High Street earlier in the day and that doesn't help. I've been there Saturday mid-afternoon in the past and it's been packed.

Setthorns (Forest Holidays/C&CC) is very basic (see photo for example of 'standard pitch'...there are better pitches with EHU) but very quiet at night. Just make sure that if you leave the MH during the night, or expect to come back to it after sundown, that you have a very reliable torch! It's an unlit forest. And watch out for the owls :Smile:

If you're a petrol head Beaulieu motor museum is good....in fact the house and gardens are pretty good too. Lymington is OK (plenty of boats) and I drove down to Calshot to take in the sea air and eat my lunch in the 'van watching the jet-skiers, etc.

I really liked the New Forest....I think the 40mph speed limits help :Smile:...have fun :thumb:...and with luck you might bump into Stuart.

Attachments

• SDIM0553_2.jpg
    SDIM0553_2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 21

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sethorns and Holmsley both lovely places (can't speak for camping but know the areas well)

You can get into Lymington & park but possibly best to get in there early, or leave it to the evening. You can park in the large car park behind the High Street (behind Marks & Spencer) There is a way round via residential roads that makes it easier. I stayed in a cottage that backed onto the car park for 6 months and managed to park my motorhome in there. (and if I can do it anyone can..........:winky:)

Although a lot of ponies have reflective collars these days, not all do and they are prone to wander the lanes and roads--as are the deer. Usually lots of donkeys wandering round Brockenhurst and the pigs are also out in the forest this time of the year for the acorns.

It's a stunningly beautiful area. I'd live in a cupboard to be able to live there. Have a good weekend.

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
Hi
We also live 20mins from hte forest, this time of year forget
driving around take the bus or Cycle, but in my opinion get
the walking boots on youl probably see loads of wild life and the
trees are stunning once they start to change.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Should it be blowing a hooley then Sandy Balls is another option.

Feb 11, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
bought first motorhome 30 yrs ago
Hi Please check the dates for camp site Holmsley opening as the book says it closed in Sept 26th as far as i can see

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
Hi Please check the dates for camp site Holmsley opening as the book says it closed in Sept 26th as far as i can see

I too noticed the disparity in dates and found out that the book is wrong, I checked with CCC and they say it is open till 31 October. Besides, I have a confirmed booking for this weekend.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back