Sep 24, 2011
Herault France
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
hi all,
First post and a question. We are renovating a camper van to motor locally, we are in the S. of France. Can anyone suggest what length of cable we might need to connect the van to the static electricity points at campsites and aires. The van is a Renault trafic master so space is at a premium. just a guestimate would help. Thanks in advance.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
In europe whatever it takes

hi all,
First post and a question. We are renovating a camper van to motor locally, we are in the S. of France. Can anyone suggest what length of cable we might need to connect the van to the static electricity points at campsites and aires. The van is a Renault trafic master so space is at a premium. just a guestimate would help. Thanks in advance.

While you may see a normal size and length one is 10 mtrs and the other is longer and heavier, you will find often in France for example many lengths joined together.. I was in Amiens and saw one camper join three lengths up to reach.. plus even the odd home made wired up plug with many connections.. Not seen here often, but common in Europe.. It is a case how much can you carry.. make sure you have the different connectors.

I have a automatic tester in my RV that knows if the plug is correctly wired.. often they are reversed in Europe and can blow your fuses or do major damage. Be aware of it.

Bob:thumb:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You can get 25m lengths but dont go for the cheap 16 amp chinese ones, crap.

Buy the 25 amp ones

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have a automatic tester in my RV that knows if the plug is correctly wired.. often they are reversed in Europe and can blow your fuses or do major damage. Be aware of it.

Bob:thumb:
slight misinformation Bob. What causes a problem with reversed polarity is the fusing system used in british vans. European vans are fused on the live and also on the nuetral so a fault in either line is caught by the fuse. British vans only fuse on the live cable not the neutral side so in the event of a fault equipment may become live. It is time both live and neutral were fused here. A/C is exactly that it alternates in direction so apart from fusing protection the polarity makes no differance.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Becky and welcome.

whatever length you decide on please ensure you fully unwind the cable before use....even if the hookup post is only a couple of meters away.

a tightly coiled cable, especially on a cable reel, can overheat and could catch fire.

a few large loose coils will be OK. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
My RV came with around 10m fixed at one end to the RV, a 10m 25amp coil, a 25m 25amp coil, and one gifted to me recently for a favour, and left in the locker till the other day is 25amp, and about three quarters of a mile long! Where ever he got that from, i do not know! Sheess, i live on the Isle of Man and i could have left it hooked up in the Lakes!

Craig

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
slight misinformation Bob. What causes a problem with reversed polarity is the fusing system used in british vans. European vans are fused on the live and also on the nuetral so a fault in either line is caught by the fuse. British vans only fuse on the live cable not the neutral side so in the event of a fault equipment may become live. It is time both live and neutral were fused here. A/C is exactly that it alternates in direction so apart from fusing protection the polarity makes no differance.

Sorry--I have no idea what any of this means :cry:

If I buy a good quality 25 amp French lead, will it work correctly in my French m/home? Or am I going to blow the whole thing up on first day? :Eeek:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

If I buy a good quality 25 amp French lead, will it work correctly in my French m/home? Or am I going to blow the whole thing up on first day? :Eeek:
No you wont blow it up....

to be 100% safe you need one of these
POLARITY CHECKER.
not necessarily that one but one like it, which checks the electric polarity.
probably sold in French supermarket hardware departments for a few euro's.

instructions on how to check/use will be included.

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
slight misinformation Bob. What causes a problem with reversed polarity is the fusing system used in British vans. European vans are fused on the live and also on the neutral so a fault in either line is caught by the fuse. British vans only fuse on the live cable not the neutral side so in the event of a fault equipment may become live. It is time both live and neutral were fused here. A/C is exactly that it alternates in direction so apart from fusing protection the polarity makes no differance.

One other potential serious problem is with wired in equipment.

Normally, even with reversed polarity, the rcd will trip making the system safe. With plugged-in equipment all you need to do is to unplug the faulty equipment and then reset the electrics.

However if the faulty equipment is wired in then you cannot unplug it and it will remain connected to the electrics even when the switch (now in the neutral) is switched off. Now resetting the electrics will be of no use as the rcd will trip once again. Before resetting the electrics you will have to isolate it, probably by "unwiring" it.

Upvote 0

chass

Free Member
Oct 30, 2011
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1981

That will be fine, don't let people scare you!

I carry 3 25mt cables & various adaptors & I don't worry about polarity all hookups are protected & will trip out if there is a problem or over load.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
No you wont blow it up....

to be 100% safe you need one of these POLARITY CHECKER.
not necessarily that one but one like it, which checks the electric polarity.
probably sold in French supermarket hardware departments for a few euro's.

instructions on how to check/use will be included.
It is a French van so will be fused on both sides and polarity in this case will not matter.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back