New job, Sierra Leone. West Africa (1 Viewer)

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Good evening:thumb:

This is the first time i have been able to log on properly since 29th June. i was offered a job out in West Africa which i would of be stupid to turn down.
I work 6 weeks on and have 2 weeks off hence why i dont come on here much now. There is tinters in Freetown but its pretty pants, it struggles to load ebay and takes forever to connect. Power supply very unreliable and dodgy gennies being used everywhere.
We hope to get away in the van for a few days to Swanage and chill out.
Living the dream:Smile:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I used to take a book with me when I had to walk couple of kms to t'internet. Could read at least a page while waiting for an email to go, or load a page. Always had to take a torch too as the power could go at any time & a walk home along dirt tracks in the pitch dark could be a challenge.
Worked with a teacher from Freetown when I was in the Gambia. She and her family had fled from the civil war. Hope it's a bit more peaceful for you.
Take care & enjoy your time at home.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Ditto all that Holly says about good luck and enjoy your lovely family and new baby..... That's what life is really all about. xx:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I work 6 weeks on and have 2 weeks off hence why i dont come on here much now.

Hi

that's a tough rota ..

Having worked for many years on a two week on/off cycle on an N Sea oil platform I understand the loneliness when parted from family and the kids not knowing you when you get home, .. can't imagine 6 on 2 off .. hope it's worth it.. don't do it for too long .. good luck and stay safe

jim

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
:Cool:
Good evening:thumb:

This is the first time i have been able to log on properly since 29th June. i was offered a job out in West Africa which i would of be stupid to turn down.
I work 6 weeks on and have 2 weeks off hence why i dont come on here much now. There is tinters in Freetown but its pretty pants, it struggles to load ebay and takes forever to connect. Power supply very unreliable and dodgy gennies being used everywhere.
We hope to get away in the van for a few days to Swanage and chill out.

Have you got a medic there, name of Stephen Hughes ????

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I was in Sierra Leone for six months in 1968...

A bit different then though...

I lived mostly in Bo but spent a fortnight in Kenema.

My friend and host was a tribal chief and former shadow Minister of the Interior...

(no, I did not tag along on ministerial overseas trips!)

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
markymark

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Thankyou for the kind words.
No the only reason i took the job is for the money, i have saved up in 3 months what i would normally save in 2 years.
The blokes i work with i have know for 19 years and we all get along well together.
Karen has given up work and can spend all her time with Charlotte which is what we both wanted.

HOLLYBERRY; Sounds very familiar, i have a day sack which i take with me everywhere. Head torch, wet wipes, first aid kit, brolly, i-phone, flask and fishing line. We have had many a laugh at each others misfortune with the storm drains and no street lights. Funniest when the rats and crabs dart out in front of you and the person jumps about like a little girl causing panic in the group.

JIM; 6 on, 2 off is pants but we have no say in the rota.:Angry:
Other companies work on 7 on, 3 off:whatthe:
6 weeks out there is enough for my body, just done Typhoid on me last trip.
SALOPIAN; i have only had the pleasure of meeting one medic and he was a South African called Yoohan, i hope i dont have to meet anymore on my next trip.:thumb: Spent 3 days in a local hospital and had to discharge myself as i feared for my life.:ROFLMAO:

Looks like we will be away Tuesday now as Karen forgot to Mot her car and its now overdue. Booked in for tomorrow 14:30, lucky i asked as i was driving it last night:Angry::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back